Chiang Mai Braces for Nebulous 'No Shadows' Solar Noon Event

Noon_time_sun_-_panoramio.jpg

Tomorrow at 12.21 pm, locals and tourists alike in Chiang Mai, Thailand will experience the curious phenomenon known as 'solar noon'. This unique astronomical event, recognised by the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT), will see the sun located directly overhead, resulting in an absence of shadows cast by objects in direct sunlight.

NARIT, under the guidance of the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation, has issued a cautionary note to anyone wishing to observe the spectacle. The midday sun, despite its fascinating alignment, could increase the risk of heatstroke due to the intensity of direct sunlight. The head of the Academic Service Center and Astronomical Communication, Suparuek Krihanon, urged the public to combine fascination with caution.

However, Krihanon was quick to quash rumours that solar noon might bring about increased temperatures. While objects might momentarily lose their shadows, actual temperature changes hinge on numerous other aspects such as rainfall, cloud cover, and accumulated heat.

The solar noon event is a semi-annual wonder, due to Thailand's positioning between 5-20 degrees of northern latitude. This geographical quirk places the sun directly overhead around the zenith point, hence the twice-yearly occurrences in April-May and July-September.

The auspicous date and time for this shadow-less spectacle varies from province to province across Thailand. Potential sky-gazers can find their local schedule on the official NARIT website.

NARIT continues to bring the mysteries of the cosmos closer to home by educating the Thai public about these intriguing events. While solar noon brings no real changes to weather or temperature, it does serve as a powerful symbol of Thailand's tropical climate and the inherent need to respect the power and potential risks of our resident star - the Sun.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thanks 1

It called 'being in the tropics', the definition of which is that at some point in the year the sun will be directly overhead.

I guess next will be the scientific discovery that rain is wet.

The figures do not add up. Chiang mai is close to 19deg. North. The sun takes 1/4 of the year to travel from Equator to the Tropic of Cancer which is close to 23.5 N. Therefore the Sun moves 1 deg N in 4 days. The Sun will reach overhead 4x4.5 days before the solstice i.e. 18 days from June 21st= 3rd June!

14th May is 38 days before the solstice. 38 days divided by 4 = 9.5  deg south of the tropic = 14N. somewhere about Saraburi. My figures are approximate for clarity.

12 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Edit to above post. I think the journalist has used the latitude for Suwarnapoom. Ignorance or carelessness?

What journalist?

On 5/14/2024 at 10:33 PM, Maybole said:

The figures do not add up. Chiang mai is close to 19deg. North. The sun takes 1/4 of the year to travel from Equator to the Tropic of Cancer which is close to 23.5 N. Therefore the Sun moves 1 deg N in 4 days. The Sun will reach overhead 4x4.5 days before the solstice i.e. 18 days from June 21st= 3rd June!

14th May is 38 days before the solstice. 38 days divided by 4 = 9.5  deg south of the tropic = 14N. somewhere about Saraburi. My figures are approximate for clarity.

I am not sure what you are trying to demonstrate. The Sun (apparent motion) in declination is not linear and constant in time, 1deg/4 days is an average that doesn't represent the speed close to solstice. Anyway the "unique astronomical event" is futile, devoid of any scientific interest and hardly unique since it repeats itself twice every year. Pity, because NARIT's Astropark is indeed a nice facility for outreach and education.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/14/2024 at 5:41 PM, mrfill said:

It called 'being in the tropics', the definition of which is that at some point in the year the sun will be directly overhead.

I guess next will be the scientific discovery that rain is wet.

I rather watch this 

Aurora Australis taken by Janna Cheshire from Bremer Bay.