Recycling old laptop?

A good question. I've been meaning to do the same for ages. I'm told that Sinthanee take old electronics for recycling (not just their own) but I still haven't got round to it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, digbeth said:

leave it out on the street and it'll be gone in minutes

Put a "For Sale" and price tag on it!

It will disappear in seconds!

Applies to all unwanted rubbish!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you want to be really really sure  just take the hard drive out  and use it for something else  or (not very environmentally friendly) smash it with a hammer

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, giddyup said:

And then when they find it needs a new battery, and it's as slow as a wet week, they'll dump it in landfill or on the side of the road.

The people that’ll grab them on the street know what to do with them. That guy gave you good advice. Just throw it on top of a trashcan

Edited by Robert Paulson

58 minutes ago, lungbing said:

But do ensure it's been wiped clean first. And I mean really wiped.

Why!

If it does not work that might not be possible!

What you really mean is remove the HDD/SSD before disposal

One better thing in Thailand than the recycling mad UK is the bin men, they take anything. Left a front door out once and they even took that. Always chuck old electrical in.

It'll take another 10 years or so for Thailand to implement the 3 bins system like in many other countries

around the world for a household garbage, recyclables and green mattress, not on the agenda now,

either that or not important enough for the environment...

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have a 10 year old laptop that I haven't used for years, where can I take it for recycling?

Send it to India or place it on your bin. Leave a note in Thai: take it🙏

There is a elderly relative of my GF who goes through trash bins in his neighborhood, takes items of apparently insignificant value, and actually does manage to take them apart and sell parts etc.

He is not poor, just either eccentric or has nothing else to do in his old age.

I sometimes surreptitiously leave old things in trash bins around his place, knowing that some parts of it will get used by someone.

19 hours ago, johng said:

You could give it to me and I'll recycle it as a Linuxserver  or Home assistant dashboard  or maybe just a huge digital clock  with weather and breaking news scrolling along the bottom.

It won't go in the trash until its well and truly trashed 😋

came here to post this as im tying this on an old HP netbook..and yep..running LINUX ..and i had a old Acer netbook with dead battery so i simply ran it with power cord.........KUDOS to you!  LinuxForLife!

19 hours ago, johng said:

You could give it to me and I'll recycle it as a Linuxserver  or Home assistant dashboard  or maybe just a huge digital clock  with weather and breaking news scrolling along the bottom.

It won't go in the trash until its well and truly trashed 😋

also used an old outdated japanese tablet as a mps player and uploaded movies onto it    so a portable media player

Same for me, a few days ago.

I put it on FB and someone took it pretty much within a few hours of posting. (And then sent me pictures two days later that it's up and running.)

Give it away and someone can make some money off it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

And then when they find it needs a new battery, and it's as slow as a wet week, they'll dump it in landfill or on the side of the road.

No, it's worth money for recycling, so a scavenger (waste picker) will take it, especially one that collect electronics. Just leave it in a clear bag – so it's protected and still visible, what is inside – next to normal garbage.

• Thumbs Up 1