SitdownSitdownSitdown!!!!

Everyman

Why do Thai people in Pattaya scream orders at me to sit down when I go into a bar? Then if I don’t, then they want an explanation!!! What is wrong with them? Why are they so pushy and abusive? All they have to do is STFU and let me lean against the bar or a wall. 

• Confused 7
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Trippy said:

In over 30 years of going to bars in Thailand, no one working at the bar has ever screamed at me, so it must be you.

I guess you’ve never walked down soi 7 then

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

It certainly isn't just bars.  It seems it is a Thai thing in many interactions. I think they feel standing is a sign of being in a hurry or impatient.  But, maybe not in a bar but other situations nothing wrong with continuing to stand no law against it.

Well be grateful, it's a heck of a lot better than going into a bar or restaurant and having them scream at you, "STANDUPSTANDUPSTANDUP!" lol

• Haha 1

Don't go to bars much these days, but when I did I used to hate being swarmed by 5 or 6 girls all asking me what I wanted to drink at the same time.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Where are they supposed to put your check bin if you're leaning against a wall like you say in OP?

I generally like to pay as I go, which they also hate. Along with never buying lady drinks. Coming think of it I am a nightmare customer from the perspective of a scammy bar that likes docile customers. 

I try not to be an <deleted> about it but the aggression level is high and everything is about them rather than you as a customer. 

Edited by Everyman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/16/2024 at 11:33 AM, Angus55 said:

Standing is not really culturally appropriate in Asia. They like everyone to be seated especially in dodgy public places like bars.

This is why I am always seated while posting on this forum.

• Haha 1

First you must realize you're a walking ATM and then try to avoid Soi 7. Plenty of places you can enjoy if you look for them.    

17 hours ago, Everyman said:

I damaged my sciatic nerve and there is no way to sit without being in pain. 

Sorry to hear that..... they probably fear you doing a runner but of course not likely. 

I am very surprised on this thread at the number of people that say they’ve never been screamed at. In Pattaya I am screamed at least 50 or 60 times per day, often by deranged people shouting across streets at me like broken robots impersonating humans. It’s so degrading to me and inhuman of them that i don’t understand how anyone can behave that way. 

Then if I go into a bar it’s the above problem. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Everyman said:

I am very surprised on this thread at the number of people that say they’ve never been screamed at. In Pattaya I am screamed at least 50 or 60 times per day, often by deranged people shouting across streets at me like broken robots impersonating humans. It’s so degrading to me and inhuman of them that i don’t understand how anyone can behave that way. 

Then if I go into a bar it’s the above problem. 

I'm starting to wonder if you hear voices. How can you be getting screamed at 50-60 times a day from across the street?

There's a Thai lady I walk by every day on beach road who is always loudly shouting at people no-one else can see...sound familiar 😉

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1