Passport: I don't understand why

I don't understand why: I go to redo my passport at the Embassy and, upon issuing it, the official points out to me that the passport cannot be issued because there is an impediment that prevents its release from my Police Headquarters in France. Yesterday I received an email that everything was fine and I could go on Monday to collect my passport: so if I did not broke the law, why did my name appear in the system? Has anyone else, even in a country other than France, had the same problem or at least know wht this happens? Thank you.

It would appear as though you have mistakenly been reported for committing a crime in France and a block had been placed on your passport, this block as since been removed and you can collect your passport. 

Its possibly because your name matches that of someone who was reported. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would appear as though you have mistakenly been reported for committing a crime in France and a block had been placed on your passport, this block as since been removed and you can collect your passport. 

How on earth could you possibly know this is the reason?

• Agree 1

On 5/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The police headquarters does not release the reason to the Embassy and so I called my lawyer in France: it seems that if 5 years pass without anyone having an identity card, it is reported to the Police Headquarters and the name remains in the system until you have a new identity card. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

3 hours ago, Mika78 said:

The police headquarters does not release the reason to the Embassy and so I called my lawyer in France: it seems that if 5 years pass without anyone having an identity card, it is reported to the Police Headquarters and the name remains in the system until you have a new identity card. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

That makes some sense, although the 'block on your passport renewal' seems extremely harsh, particularly as you are overseas... 

... but I guess it ensures that everyone, even those overseas renew their French ID cards.

Is renewal of your French ID card something you can do while overseas ?...    Best to get a renewed ID if you can.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That makes some sense, although the 'block on your passport renewal' seems extremely harsh, particularly as you are overseas... 

... but I guess it ensures that everyone, even those overseas renew their French ID cards.

Is renewal of your French ID card something you can do while overseas ?...    Best to get a renewed ID if you can.

Can't be done here. So my lawyer will deal with the police headquarter there and find (hopefully) a solution.

Thank you for your first comment 

Appreciate it 

2 hours ago, Mika78 said:

Can't be done here. So my lawyer will deal with the police headquarter there and find (hopefully) a solution.

Thank you for your first comment 

Appreciate it 

1. French ID Card (Carte d'Identite), isn't mandatory Service-public.fr Est-on obligé d'avoir une carte d'identité ?

2. You can renew a French ID Card when abroad Ambassade de France Bangkok Passeport & carte d'identite

On 5/19/2024 at 8:50 AM, Mika78 said:

Strange rule.