Is Bangkok wet in August?

Posted (edited)

I have heard that Thailand has had strange weather this year so far with a heatwave that lasted longer than it should and rain when it should not have. 

Since my birthday will be coming up in August, I wonder if I am going to have a gloomy month or a sunny month in Bangkok(which I hope for)

Is it usually wet in August? 

glenn-carstens-peters-tT_SrSMhhgE-unsplash.jpg

Edited by Querentino_Spaghettino
  • Confused 1

Longer than normal heatwave ... not really, only in the MSM.   Rains came as they always do, beginning of May.  Sometimes end of April.

Raining season does include August, for most of the country, so don't be surprised if it rains, or, if it doesn't while here.

It's the weather ... always in motion :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

I have heard that Thailand has had strange weather this year so far with a heatwave that lasted longer than it should and rain when it should not have. 

Since my birthday will be coming up in August, I wonder if I am going to have a gloomy month or a sunny month in Bangkok(which I hope for)

Is it usually wet in August? 

glenn-carstens-peters-tT_SrSMhhgE-unsplash.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stocky said:

August 50% daily chance of rain

2024-05-2110_42_22-BangkokClimateWeatherByMonthAverageTemperature(Thailand)-WeatherSpar.jpg.392cd1f76390b574845b3edefad4a70d.jpg

2024-05-2110_42_39-BangkokClimateWeatherByMonthAverageTemperature(Thailand)-WeatherSpar.jpg.8cb15d6fa0b2bce6620c0fd75aa4c69f.jpg

https://weatherspark.com/

The Thai weather department has had an official on TNN news broadcasts saying that the country officially entered the rainy season on 20 May as the sun began its yearly trip back to the north.  He said that the first two months, rains will most likely be light as the country exits the ELNINO effect and beginning in AUGUST heavier rains are predicted with possibly two big storms in the latter part of the rainy season.  They also predicted these "heavy" rains lasting until 26 May.  Weather here is as predictable as in many other locations.  I grew up in the US on middle eastern part and when one is asked about the weather, they always reply "well if you don't like it, wait 15 minutes and it will change".   That is why the "Farmers' Almonac" predicting weather is usually more accurate than the weather folks with all their equipment.  I once heard that for the daily London weather, they use 57 computers, each with the same starting criteria and then make a prediction based on the higher % of computers with close to the same results and they still hardly can predict it acurately.  Weatherfolks are hardly ever correct and thus the number of jokes made with weathermen as the subject and the unpredictability of the weather.

1 minute ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

I'll look into this website more. Thanks a lot!

I guess it will be a coin flip for me then lol

yessir, join the weathermen!

Even during raining season, it only tends to rain for an hour or two - typically late afternoon which cools things off.

I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Querentino_Spaghettino said:

gloomy month

No such thing as a gloomy month in Thailand. 

The rainy season is the best time to visit Thailand, the rain washes everything down and waters all the beautiful gardens and parks, keeping things fresh. The days are much cooler. 

Why are you scared of the rain, like so many people.

Are you a Brit? I've got a few British friends, they get depressed in the rainy season, strange people. 

ManUp dude. 🌧️

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

On the contrary, weather forecasts, in general, are very accurate. 

yessir, nowadays with satellites and other technical means they do much better but the reason so many jokes are told about weathermen (google that if you haven't seen those b4) because throughout history folks usually could not depend on the forecast.  Even London with 57 computers (years ago at the time I saw the figure) their predictions were still not that high a %.  Just saying!

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

I once read that farmers could predict he weather as well as forecasters by observing how the cows held their tails in the pasture,

This is true. In fact, I keep one in my condo for this very reason. Much easier than checking Google weather on the phone. 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why are you scared of the rain, like so many people.

Are you a Brit? I've got a few British friends, they get depressed in the rainy season, strange people. 

Not that strange.

In Britain, it can rain for seemingly weeks on end. Cold, constant drizzle. It is indeed quite depressing. In Thailand it's quite pleasant and doesn't tend to last very long.