Comments on Global Warming Acceleration, Sulfur Emissions, Observations, (Hansen et al.)?

Posted (edited)

Dear Folks,

How much hotter can it get due to reduction in aerosols which, hitherto, have led to an ameliorating cooling effect for many years?

I guess most of us know that as we add aerosols from sources such as burning coal, shipping, etc., these particles in the atmosphere have helped to keep us cooler than would have been the case.

And now, it seems, that as we begin reducing the addition of these particles into the atmosphere, as a result of shifting to cleaner sources of energy, the combined cooling effect of these aerosols will gradually continue to decrease.

This is the subject of an interesting recent, and short, paper by...you guessed it:  the famous James Hansen.....

Comments on Global Warming Acceleration, Sulfur Emissions, Observations, (Hansen et al., May 2024).

Well, this seems like both good news and bad news, rolled up into one phenomenon..ie...

It's going to get hotter as our air gets cleaner.

Sound good?

So, you can read this short paper here:

image.png.c71846c7dd89a1b8368da4519af06a53.png

https://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2024/MayEmail.2024.05.16.pdf

I guess we all know that Hansen has been affiliated with Columbia's Earth Institute for quite some time, and I recall very fondly watching most of his lectures or seminars that were published on the Columbia's websites in days gone by.

Did you think this Global Warming thingy might just go away on its own?

Not likely, I guess.

I just thought that you guys might like to see one of Hansen's most recent papers, in case you might have missed it.

I just wonder how hot Thailand will get, next year.

And, I wonder what my increasing energy bill will look like, next year.

This paper has a VERY NICE graph, one which I know that you will enjoy.

Any thoughts about Temperatures Rising, and Heat Waves, besides the classic wonderful song?

Best regards,

As usual, and it's....

Business as Usual...

Obviously....

Gamma G.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

GW or MMCC ... sorry, not buying it.   

Damn chilly last night, and all we had was the fan on.  If this is GW, long may it last. ,,, CC, yea, it's the weather, it does that.

Seas Rising ... that's funny.  as we could walk over to the islands out in the bay, and only noticed that being possible the last few years.

I believe what my eyes see and my body feels, not what people tell me, so they can extort / tax, more of my money in the guise of saving me & the planet.   Yet, they've done absolutely nothing ... IMHO

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Damn chilly last night, and all we had was the fan on.  If this is GW, long may it last. ,,, CC, yea, it's the weather, it does that.

Seas Rising ... that's funny.  as we could walk over to the islands out in the bay, and only noticed that being possible the last few years.

I believe what my eyes see and my body feels, not what people tell me, so they can extort / tax, more of my money in the guise of saving me & the planet.   Yet, they've done absolutely nothing ... IMHO

Have the birds been speaking to you lately?

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Have the birds been speaking to you lately?

They haven't been dropping out of the sky, though temps would have to go up quite a bit for that to happen.   Their core body temps are a few degrees (C) higher than us humans.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They haven't been dropping out of the sky, though temps would have to go up quite a bit for that to happen.   Their core body temps are a few degrees (C) higher than us humans.

Yes.

So, it is only reasonable that, at some point, birds might start dropping out of the sky.

But, when humans begin dropping out of the sky, then we will know that our goose is cooked.

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

So, it is only reasonable that, at some point, birds might start dropping out of the sky.

But, when humans begin dropping out of the sky, then we will know that our goose is cooked

If birds start dropping out of the skies, I think humans will long gone by then.   Humans seem to drop over in 100F and birds core temp is like 106-109F.  

Constant temps of 105F ... don't think most of the humans would make it.  Sooner of later the elite would have to tend their own fields ... the horror :cheesy:

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If birds start dropping out of the skies, I think humans will long gone by then.   Humans seem to drop over in 100F and birds core temp is like 106-109F.  

Constant temps of 105F ... don't think most of the humans would make it.  Sooner of later the elite would have to tend their own fields ... the horror :cheesy:

I see a lot of Thai Myna birds walking around, these days, with mouths wide open.

What are they doing?

Panting in the heat, or something?

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I see a lot of Thai Myna birds walking around, these days, with mouths wide open.

What are they doing?

Panting in the heat, or something?

That's how they release some heat from, or a good bird bath, fluff up wings and let air pass through.

image.png.4418427e2b418b920040b6e087e4d519.png

Posted (edited)

I'm a sceptic.

There's a ginormous nuclear reactor 93 million miles from us which pumps out immense energy. It has well recorded cycles, one as short as 11 years, others much longer which are only partly understood but all of which have had - and still have - terrific effects on our planet. These effects are outside our control. The recent events of Aurora Borealis being seen at far southern latitudes in the northern hemisphere are solar cycle (sunspot) related. It's a good clear example of solar cycles and their effect on earth, and they are beyond our control.

Forest fires in Canada alone last year pumped out 2Bn tonnes of CO2 in one summer burn season. The whole USA emits 6Bn per full year, and it's one of the biggest emitting regions on the planet.

Volcanic eruptions spew out more CO2 than whole countries do on a regular basis. CO2 out-gassed to the atmosphere and oceans from volcanoes and other magmatically active regions is estimated at 280 to 360 million tonnes (0.28 to 0.36 Gt) per year, including that released into the oceans from mid-ocean ridges.

Humanity is kidding itself by imagining it can overcome nature. We are insignificant in the big picture.

Sure - cut down on fossil fuel use - that helps cool geopolitical strife and reduces air pollutants. I'm all for it. But don't kid yourself it makes much difference to climate effects.

How about instead concentrating all that effort on reducing or eliminating plastic waste in the environment? I find it incredible that so much time is wasted fretting over 'climate change' while ghastly plastic pollution is ignored by comparison. And it's something we can actually fix!

Also - reduce human population. Hey presto - CO2 emissions and plastic pollution all reduced too.

Edited by Flyguy330

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

its about CLIMATE...not WEATHER.....but you do you....says the guy who thinks 7-11 pork double cheeseburgers are healthy

and the reason its happening is cos rich white men in power who live in their ivory towers with the AC just want to keep profiting from gas, coal, fracking. factory farming etc......your level of ignorance is not surprising and yet so typical.....bravo

ignorance is bliss as some sit around eating ultra processed junk food and live in a reality within their own selfish mindset...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

I'm a sceptic.

There's a ginormous nuclear reactor 93 million miles from us which pumps out immense energy. It has well recorded cycles, one as short as 11 years, others much longer which are only partly understood but all of which have had - and still have - terrific effects on our planet. These effects are outside our control. The recent events of Aurora Borealis being seen at far southern latitudes in the northern hemisphere are solar cycle (sunspot) related. It's a good clear example of solar cycles and their effect on earth, and they are beyond our control.

Forest fires in Canada last year pumped out 2Bn tonnes of CO2 in one summer burn season. The whole USA emits 6Bn per full year!

Volcanic eruptions spew out more CO2 than whole countries do on a regular basis. CO2 out-gassed to the atmosphere and oceans from volcanoes and other magmatically active regions is estimated at 280 to 360 million tonnes (0.28 to 0.36 Gt) per year, including that released into the oceans from mid-ocean ridges.

Humanity is kidding itself by imagining it can overcome nature. We are insignificant in the big picture.

Sure - cut down on fossil fuel use - that helps cool geopolitical strife and reduces air pollutants. I'm all for it. But don't kid yourself it makes much difference to climate effects.

How about instead concentrating all that effort on reducing or eliminating plastic waste in the environment? I find it incredible that so much time is wasted fretting over 'climate change' while ghastly plastic pollution is ignored by comparison. And it's something we can actually fix!

Interesting:

I did not realize that there are two, equally acceptable, spellings of this word, not being from England.  But, this is very good for me to know.  This is information that I can really use in the everyday work of mine.  (How did I not know this?  Well, I guess nobody can expect me to know everything, can they?)...

I believe what my eyes see and my body feels, not what people tell me,

wonder what they see and feel..but as always its your world we all just live in it.. forget about the heat weeks ago!(ignore that)

you must believe magic and wrestling is real too...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/05/26/texas-oklahoma-tornado-severe-weather-live-updates/73861776007/

https://apnews.com/article/singapore-airlines-flight-turbulence-5a9a268e1a6a6fb9ece7e58b5ea9231b

another for good measure..for you to deflect and deny..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-27/twelve-people-injured-after-qatar-airways-flight-hits-turbulence/103895716

and the last years of record breaking heat is caused by what ???? since you seem to know more than trained scientists

10 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ignorance is bliss as some sit around eating ultra processed junk food

THIS is certainly a very timely and overlooked Topic which someone needs to start.

This is one thing that the individual can eat or avoid, at his/her discretion.

And, yes, you are correct that ultra-processed food is brought to us by the same folks that brought us cigarettes and CO2.

Exxon, for one....

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

says the guy who thinks this all is funny as human worldwide perish and struggle....im sure your kids are so proud of the world you have left for them and the stance you take towards it.......such a loving father figure...put down your cheeseburger to pat yourself on the back....oh almost forgot..LOL..the horror indeed.....

• Haha 1

Living from North of Norway to Thailand, living close to nature, farming, climbed mountains, walked glaciers, fishing, hiking, camping, I have noticed many changes throughout the years but it is not science and do not prove anything. 

However my experiences and observations, can lead me to think something is terrrible wrong, and we are heading the wrong way, and most likely been for the last 50 years. 

The sums of every wrongdoing to our nature, adds up to a complete collaps in my eyes. We have disturbed our local enviroment to many places. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

says the guy who thinks this all is funny as human worldwide perish and struggle....im sure your kids are so proud of the world you have left for them and the stance you take towards it.......such a loving father figure...put down your cheeseburger to pat yourself on the back....oh almost forgot..LOL..the horror indeed.....

Man ... you are obsessed with that pork burger, which I probably haven't had in quite some time.  Maybe 5-10 a year, if that.   Might want to pick on my pastry diet, as surely more unhealthy than my rare 7-11 diet.

We have Solar, rarely, if ever use the grid (powered by fossil fuel).   We have EVs only, powered by excess solar at the house.  We compost, have garden & greenhouse for some food items.  Rarely by packaged, processed food, so very little trash.   Total control and healthier real food eating.

Think we're doing more than most, though TBH, not for the planet, but for us.   Planet doesn't need any help.

What are you doing ... don't answer, as probably know already, and the word 'hypocrite' comes to mind.   If not part of the solution, you ARE the problem.

But keep talking, as I hear that solves all the problems.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Edited by KhunLA