The names of mobile banking customers must now match those on the SIM card registration.

This seems to be new and not sure how it affects anyone.

“The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (DES) is to impose a new measure to protect mobile banking customers from scammers using “ghost” SIM cards and “mule” bank accounts.

Effective tomorrow, the names of mobile banking customers must match those on the SIM card registration to activate mobile banking on the account, according to DES Minister, Prasert Jantararuangtong.

If the names do not match, he said that the mobile bank account owner must contact their mobile phone service provider to change the name on the SIM card registration, so that mobile banking can be activated.

He said that bank customers will be able to use their bank books or ATM cards for financial transactions as usual, even though their mobile banking accounts cannot be used.”

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-measure-introduced-to-protect-mobile-banking-customers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has already affected my family.

Myself and my two daughters have three SIM cards that I registered a few years ago and the bill for all three came to me as a joint family bill.

Kasikorn Bank made them change the Sim card registrations at the mobile phone shop otherwise they were going to cease mobile banking. We did that last week, we all had to go with passports/ID.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

What about the thousands of people who don't have a name registered to their sim card?

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

If the names do not match, he said that the mobile bank account owner must contact their mobile phone service provider to change the name on the SIM card registration, so that mobile banking can be activated.

Seems clear enough.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The SCB Bank (only App nowadays) wants that the sim card for registration of the App is in the same device. I had that problem, called the Helpdesk, and they registered the sim in my Android device. Installing the App went further smoothly. 

Btw. That Sim was registered with my ladies name. This all happend about 6 months ago so ...

Edited by Henk Langeweg

This is translated from a Thai news site.

“Mr. Prasert Chandraruangthong, Minister of Digital Economy and Society, said that previously when opening a bank account you could use a mobile phone number or SIM card with a name did not match the bank account name. But due to the current "fraudulent account-fraudulent SIM" problem, the government has a new measure to force the names of mobile banking and SIM cards to be the same.

In the case of information discrepancies, the bank will notify via mobile banking that the phone information does not match the account owner's information, and ask users to register at the service centre to update their names to match. If the information matches, mobile banking can be activated normally.

Currently, Thailand has 106 million mobile banking accounts, and approximately 30 million accounts where the names do not match the SIM card. Starting 27 May 2024, the goal is to close or suspend approximately 100,000 fraudulent accounts per month. There are expected to be as many as 1 million fraudulent accounts in the system.“