48,000-Plus People Nationwide Running For Senator

webfact

image.jpeg

A TOTAL OF 48,117 people nationwide have applied to run for senator in next month’s unprecedented, complicated race to parliament, an official of the Election Commission said Saturday (May 25).

Against earlier predictions of as many as 200,000 people contesting the senatorial election next month, only 48,117 have applied since last Monday until yesterday, the polling agency’s official said.

Among that total, the most senatorial contestants were reported in Sisaket, totaling 2,764, followed by Bangkok’s 2,489 and Chiang Mai’s 2,000.

The senatorial election is an unprecedented, triple-tiered process in which no constituents nationwide will be involved since all eligible candidates are voting among themselves to pick a total of 200 senior lawmakers.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

Thai parliament meeting chamber. Photo: Thai Rath

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-05-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I may be wrong but I think this may worry them, the Senate is their gate, and now all the riff raff want a go.

Yes, 47700 riff-raff. That will never do. We'll have to get the CC to reinterpret the rules appropriately ...

Just now, mfd101 said:

Yes, 47700 riff-raff. That will never do. We'll have to get the CC to reinterpret the rules appropriately ...

I was thinking that too, you're probably right, I do feel an amendment coming on.

Who is really surprised? Each Thai Senator receives a monthly salary of 113,560 baht (3050 USD). For some hanging around in the Parliament.....not bad for Thailand🤭