A Unique Adventure: Camping in Antarctica

On 5/29/2024 at 8:32 AM, Social Media said:

Despite having only 90 minutes to prepare, pack, layer up, and eat my final meal—since no food was allowed at the pristine tent site—I was eager for the adventure.

Oh dear, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. I know that the luvvies have almost taken over the western world, but seriously, not allowed a meal because it might spoil the billion tons of ice under their tents, or something like that. I don't even understand the logic of it.

Given I actually lived and worked down there, I have a somewhat different point of view, and it is that it's rather difficult to spoil a pristine Antarctic environment ( unless driving an oil tanker into an iceberg ). It's actually quite large, and the number of humans infinitesimal.

Just as well then, that the trip the author went on did not stop at McMurdo, a small town with loads of polluting vehicles and people. Many people will journey into the wilderness ( scientists and such like ),and I doubt they are fasting or bringing all their poop back in a little bag. I do know that everyone I worked with down there would be somewhat amazed that tourists are not even allowed to eat on the ice. Seems that the luvvies won't allow any human poop ( not much they can do about all those naughty penguins pooping all over the place though- perhaps penguin poo is "different" to human poo ) while allowing a vessel burning dirty fossil fuel to pollute the pristine environment, and  the thousands of aircraft that go down to Antarctica every summer.

On 5/29/2024 at 8:32 AM, Social Media said:

The process involved digging into the snow to secure the tents with snow anchors—a new skill for most of us.

LOL. Dig a hole, put the anchor in it and fill the hole in again. Skill required?

Having had a little chuckle at the excesses of luvvies, I will agree that it's an amazing experience. I did many trips into the wilderness ( and no, I did not bring a bag with my poop back ), and it really is a special place to visit. I'm quite glad that I didn't get to only have 5 days down there though, and I enjoyed being there for almost the entire time. I would not hesitate to recommend it as a place to work the summer, or even better a whole year.

• Confused 1