Thailand Elite Card Fails To Impress

george

For all those that were interested in getting the card for the privilage of buying land.

There are easier solutions........form a company.....apply for BOI status.........bribe the BOI approval board 500,000 baht.

And now you have a BOI company, and you've saved 500,000 baht.

Advantages to BOI over Elite card.

Own land, and a lot more than a couple of rai

Tax breaks

Office in bangkok that will offer next day visa and work permits

(can issue them for all your friends who you have hired....ha ha)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire bubble was floated on the tragic Oriental mentality and concept of "Face"...

They mistakenly believed the Farang like to throw money away for the sake of "Face", so launched the "Elite" card to choruses of raspberries all round.

RIP

This is surely the reason.

Well said. :o:D

kenk3z: Last year the xch rate US$ Baht was around 38 so paying in $ saved Baht 50 K.

Monday, July 14, 2003

1 US Dollar = 41.71200 Thai Baht

1 Thai Baht (THB) = 0.02397 US Dollar (USD)

Last year, lupburi. This year pay in Baht.

2003-10-10, Friday 39.09 THB, this rate for TTS,

We did talk cash, around 38.00 at money exchange, therefore my suggesten last year was to pay in US$ rather than buying Baht.

p1p and mtnthai are both absolutely right concerning their comments about Oriental 'face'. I wonder what the breakdown is of nationalities who have purchased this card. I bet the vast majority are Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc, who believe in the concept of 'face', and welcome the opportunity to have a 'big face' at immigration, hotel, spa, golf-course etc etc.

But for potential western purchasers of this card, I doubt if face plays any great role in influencing their decision to purchase. Rather, the tangible and long-term benefits are more important, and need to be concisely stated.

I'm an ideal potential purchaser of this card, (well-off, travel monthly between UK and Thailand, interested in committing decent investment into LoS if the deal is right etc). If the Elite card gave a 'real' benefit of 'real' land ownership in my name for a private home, then I would buy one tomorrow!! But like many 'opportunities' in LoS, the goalposts start off at an unclear position, and then someone comes and moves them in the middle of the night!!

I'd love to invest 'real' money into LOS, if I could honestly believe that my money was reasonably safe (ie, minimal risk of losing the lot due to some plonker changing the rules overnight...). But 'safe' and 'investment' are not words that go together in LoS.

So my money stays outside of this country and I only bring in what I can afford to lose....

Sigh .... don't you wish that these Elite guys actually thought out their product and target market before they put foot in mouth?? :o

I'd love to invest 'real' money into LOS, if I could honestly believe that my money was reasonably safe (ie, minimal risk of losing the lot due to some plonker changing the rules overnight...). But 'safe' and 'investment' are not words that go together in LoS.

Thought occurs to me.....supposing they actually DID give farangs the benefit of owning land.

WOULD YOU trust Thaksin and his like not to go back on this when you had paid the money for it, and declare that all foreign owned land was to revert to the state with NO compensation???

It's happened before in other parts of the world!!

Thought occurs to me.....supposing they actually DID give farangs the benefit of owning land.

WOULD YOU trust Thaksin and his like not to go back on this when you had paid the money for it, and declare that all foreign owned land was to revert to the state with NO compensation???

It's happened before in other parts of the world!!

It's not thaksin, it's the system.

It would require almost a re-write of the entire constitution, and then individual issues like property rights/ownership would need to have specific and crystal clear laws written into it.

But now you get into human rights as theres no human rights without property rights and vice versa.

And Constitutions can be manipulated and "ammended" as we've seen the case here in in the US develop slowly over decades and although it's still the best game in town on these issues, it's a long long way from where it all began.

Here's a link http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a665116.htm

Mr Vietnam :o

Forget "Face". :D

Get the "Som Tam " lady to run the show,throw in a couple of season tickets for Liverpool F.C.away games with free upgrades on the nearest Tuk-Tuks.....that should do it. :D

Got a headache just thinking about it :D

Has it ever been suggested or occured to "them" that super rich,foreign "executive"type punters dont actually want to go to Thailand and that they may have better things to do.....

:D

O Dear :o

...the tangible and long-term benefits are more important, and need to be concisely stated.
Precisely.
I'm an ideal potential purchaser of this card
Me too!
If the Elite card gave a 'real' benefit of 'real' land ownership in my name for a private home, then I would buy one tomorrow!!
Me too.
I'd love to invest 'real' money into LOS, if I could honestly believe that my money was reasonably safe (ie, minimal risk of losing the lot due to some plonker changing the rules overnight...).
This is what I try to explain to my g/f.
So my money stays outside of this country and I only bring in what I can afford to lose....
Me too.
Sigh .... don't you wish that these Elite guys actually thought out their product and target market before they put foot in mouth??  :o

I think this should all be handled by the Immigration division. I don't like the idea of a Thai company doing it - and I don't care what kind of guarantees the government of the day gives. If handled by Immigration, you would get a stamp in your passport, and it would have to be stated that this was an irreversible guarantee of land ownership and residency - and by "residency" I mean the right to live here. I don't care about voting or any other Thai citizen's rights - just to be able to live in my own house on my own land and die here in my own time. Not too much too ask for is it, for a million baht?

the som tam lady says the biggest problem with the card is the after sales service

Sorry BlackJack, but my som tam lady says that the root of the problem lies with the pricing. She did the math for me, and counted it all out using bonk-bonk-bonk's of her mallet into the som tam bowl, and it makes a lot of sense if one follows the bonk-bonk-bonk train of thought.

By the way, I bet my som tam lady can beat up your som tam lady........... :o

OK! Next scam will be, Thai International is sold off to the private sector at a huge discount. Small, up-start regional airline buys up most of the shares, sounding familiar? All international airlines are forced out to 'Cobra-Swamp' soon. We don't know when exactly as they keep moving the date! Small regional airline, plus the former 'Thai International' planes and crews etc, stay at Don Muang. Remember, they're only a small regional airline and won't clutter up the air space. Small regional airline starts international flights from Don Muang! Any takers? I'd say within two years if not sooner. :o

But they are still good for the 5 year visa.

Sure, until the powers-that-be decide this is not a good idea either...

Yes, I don't doubt that.

But if you get the card and get ONE 5 year visa, it is probable at least that one visa would still be good for 5 years, as it is an official visa independent of the card.

I wouldn't bet the card exist 5 years from now, so getting a new 5 year visa based on a card that is no longer recognized would be more interesting.

In any case, shall I start the bidding at 10,000 baht for a used card?

OK! Next scam will be, ....starts international flights from Don Muang! Any takers? I'd say within two years if not sooner.

No, I wouldn't take it. Same happened in Tokyo, all airlines moved to Narita (60 km) only China Airlines from Taiwan stayed in Haneda (16 km). OK, this was a political issue, they did not want to have Taiwan and PRC- planes in the same airport, but China Airlines hardly got any more passengers from the 'advantage'.

Neither would I move to TG for Don Muang instead of my preferred carrier in the swamp.

So, the result would be as impressive as the Elite card. :o

But if you get the card and get ONE 5 year visa, it is probable at least that one visa would still be good for 5 years, as it is an official visa independent of the card.

My guess is that the first visa renewal five years down the road won't be a problem but the second renewal, ten years hence (i.e circa 2014-2015), might be when the fun starts. :o

and then what? ... take it down to ko sarn road to get the photo changed?

The cards are transferable (theoretically). That was actually one of the selling points. Carrying that concept to its logical conclusion though would mean that an Elite Card, once it is in circulation, could give benefits to a current holder forever as it passes from generation to generation. Again, just another example of how well thought out this scheme was... :o

and then what? ... take it down to ko sarn road to get the photo changed?

The cards are transferable (theoretically). That was actually one of the selling points. Carrying that concept to its logical conclusion though would mean that an Elite Card, once it is in circulation, could give benefits to a current holder forever as it passes from generation to generation. Again, just another example of how well thought out this scheme was... :o

Correct, it is being sold as a transferable and willable item.

The elite card company officiates the transfer for a fee.

Of course, it is absurd to imagine that the card you bought last year will still be good for massage discounts to your great grandchild. What were they thinking?

In any case, in theory, a card should be salable today, transferable through the issuing company, and good for a new 5 year visa for the card purchaser.

OK, then, how about 15,000 baht plus the transfer fee? I know you're out there.

I have the title deeds to a very nice bridge in London if anyone has a few million spare

Gaz

Did you buy a London bridge from me, during the Bird-Flu epidemic, some months ago ? :D

Or is there now competition ... in the 2nd-hand-London-bridge market ? :o

Sigh ... they'll be wanting to regulate us next ! :D

I wonder what features would make the Elite-card attractive , to the average forum-member ? For example :-

The right for farangs to own a small plot of land , say less than 2 rai, would surely not result in Thailand being wholly-owned by foreigners ?

The right not to have to register one's whereabouts , every 90 days , would cut the hassle-factor for foreigners and save the hard-working Immigration-Department staff a lot of paperwork.

The right to pay normal Thai price at historic-sites , rather than an inflated foreign-idiot price , might show appreciation that card-holders had contributed something worthwhile to Thailand.

What sort of rights would we want - and consider worth B1 million ?

Apart from a lifetime-supply of Chang , natch :o

I have the title deeds to a very nice bridge in London if anyone has a few million spare

Gaz

Did you buy a London bridge from me, during the Bird-Flu epidemic, some months ago ? :D

Or is there now competition ... in the 2nd-hand-London-bridge market ? :o

Sigh ... they'll be wanting to regulate us next ! :D

Nah - got this one cheap with the help of my friends in 5th US Tactical Air Force ..... once the grunts had finished practising in Nevada and buzzed off to Iraq - they pilfered the old London Bridge we sold to them a while back (shhh don't tell them)

Got it in pieces in 40' containers at the back of CNX but got to give OIC Wing 41 a 10% slice for using one of his hangers to keep them out of sight :D

What about loaning the card to a fellow German for as long as it takes to get the 5year visa, Axel? I'll pay all fees and a few beers in Gulliver's.

Further details at pass-the-card.th.com.

Your idea has merit Stroll :o Have they all forgotten that that 5 year visa needs to be extended ( at 1900 baht a time ) every 90 days ?

Taksin, the CEO? A business Tycoon? Owner & manager of an International Company? Devising an idea so foolish? Bah Bah Boh Boh. Insanity incarnate. The card isn't worth the plastic its made from and has never had the potential to be worth anything. As I said 9 months ago, the services offered are cheaper if acquired on an 'as needed' basis.

Mike W.

Udon Thani

I received a travel industry magazing a few weeka go and there he was..... an Elite cardholder!!!!!

A Korean gentleman all dolled up in a smart suit with a flower in his button hole. And who was he shaking hands with?

Yes, PM Toxin himself.

So for 1m Baht you can shake hands with the "brains" behind this. What face he must have received when receiving his card.

I have never been able to open the site www.thailandelite.com so I have to rely on word of mouth as to the benefits.

The company was being encouraged by Taksin to invest in resorts, golf courses etc. to earn income to provide the benefits.

Unfotunately Toxin knows jack shit about hotels. I stayed at his Aiyapuri (misspelt)resort in Ko Chang (3,000/night in low season) and it was <deleted>. It was expensive but with no service. The pool bar had a bartender but if you wanted more than a cold Singha they had to go to another bar and make you wait 20 minutes because they were not bothered about stocking the bar in low season. Similarly breakfast was worthy of a 600 Baht/night hotel and when I asked for a VAT receipt on check out they could not give me one.

Toxin's best idea when the Elite card wasn't selling was to increase the price to make it more exclusive and double it for residents as they may make use of it.

Even if I had unlimited visa, work permit and the right to buy the whole country and special voting rights I still would not participate in something this clown has thought up.

He is no businessman, his wealth is built upon corruption and weasel ways. This is why his businesses can be so badly run, they do not need to make money.

He is no businessman, his wealth is built upon corruption and weasel ways. This is why his businesses can be so badly run, they do not need to make money.

This seems like an accurate description of Thai business 'leaders', it also explains why Thai business leaders are not in great demand in foreign countries.

Dutchy