VA FMP

About the American VA Foreign Medical Program.

I am not impressed so far. 

I filed a claim for reimbursement on 28th March, this year. First time, for a new disability that IS included in my Benefits Authorization page.

I sent the claim by email with all the forms I think they wanted and did receive an automatic reply talking about the dates I could expect action.

60 days had passed when I sent a email asking about the status of my claim. I got a reply one or two days later saying they couldn't find a claim from me on, or near, that date. The person who answered my email asked for more information, such as the name of the hospital..address and amount I paid.

I replied almost 2 weeks ago and didn't get a reply...other than the automatic message.

I sent another email 2 days ago asking if they found anything....no reply..yet.

I did list a US address on the form for them to send to...because sending here to Thailand can take over 2 weeks.

I filed two more claims , one in April and one in June. Not a word from them about the status...just the automatic reply that says that claims take 2 months or more.

Question:   Does anyone have any positive experience with FMP? How long do they take and do they let you know what's going on...other than the auto reply?

On 6/5/2024 at 8:45 AM, JohnOFphon said:

About the American VA Foreign Medical Program.

I am not impressed so far. 

I filed a claim for reimbursement on 28th March, this year. First time, for a new disability that IS included in my Benefits Authorization page.

I sent the claim by email with all the forms I think they wanted and did receive an automatic reply talking about the dates I could expect action.

60 days had passed when I sent a email asking about the status of my claim. I got a reply one or two days later saying they couldn't find a claim from me on, or near, that date. The person who answered my email asked for more information, such as the name of the hospital..address and amount I paid.

I replied almost 2 weeks ago and didn't get a reply...other than the automatic message.

I sent another email 2 days ago asking if they found anything....no reply..yet.

I did list a US address on the form for them to send to...because sending here to Thailand can take over 2 weeks.

I filed two more claims , one in April and one in June. Not a word from them about the status...just the automatic reply that says that claims take 2 months or more.

Question:   Does anyone have any positive experience with FMP? How long do they take and do they let you know what's going on...other than the auto reply?

Totally unacceptable.  I would write to you VA office HQ and ask if there a particular problem with late reimbursements.  I am not familiar with your program but I am a retired US govt employee who has medical insurance through the US govt and at the new year, they changed the overseas agent and since then I have heard similar stories to their reimbursement.  I hope mine is due to new on the block so to speak.  good luck on getting any satisfaction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they think that if they take 6 months to reimburse, many Vets will die of old age before they have a chance to cash the check.  🤒

• Thumbs Up 1