Pay Phones At Airport

Last week, my wife and I need to make several phone calls from the airport to Canada. From our home phone, it's 3 baht a minute. We used the computer-touch screen phones on the departure floor and there were about the same price. However; the phones were a bit tempermental and we could only get through about ever 5-6 tries. So, we decided to go down a level and try the traditional TOT phones near the restaurants. The phones had instructions on the front on how to make international calls. We followed the instructions and to our surprise, we just found out that the 3 phones calls (10 min each) cost us 3500 baht each call! Just an FYI.

Last week, my wife and I need to make several phone calls from the airport to Canada. From our home phone, it's 3 baht a minute. We used the computer-touch screen phones on the departure floor and there were about the same price. However; the phones were a bit tempermental and we could only get through about ever 5-6 tries. So, we decided to go down a level and try the traditional TOT phones near the restaurants. The phones had instructions on the front on how to make international calls. We followed the instructions and to our surprise, we just found out that the 3 phones calls (10 min each) cost us 3500 baht each call! Just an FYI.

That's outrageous but hardly suprising.

Just add that one to the list.

Welcome to Thailand.

TOT Phone Scam.

Pilfered Baggage.

Bogus Custom Officials.

Rude Customs Immigration Officials.

Magnetometer Heist.

Taxi Touts/Limo Scam.

Credit Card Scam at King Power.

Hotel Airport Scam.

Drugging Tourists/Robbery. (GHB).

Keyloggers at Internet Shops.

Double Pricing.

Taxi, Tuk Tuk, Touts.(Temple Closed Scam)

Gem Scam.

Seafood Scam.

Baht Bus Scam.

Random Search/Piss Tests.

Terrorists.

Tsunamis.

Bird Flue.

Legal System.

Littering Police Scam.

Ground Transport Scam. TAT Travel Agents Scam..(train/Bus Stations)

Student Survey Scam.

Edited by UnknownPoster

Unfortunately, high pay phone prices are not specific to Thailand. I had the same experience at the Hong Kong airport. Fortunately, my credit card company allowed me to challange the $210 charge ($70 for 3 one-minute phonecalls), and the phone company didn't appeal.

Welcome to Thailand.

TOT Phone Scam.

Pilfered Baggage.

Bogus Custom Officials.

Magnetometer Heist.

Taxi Touts/Limo Scam.

Hotel Airport Scam.

Double Pricing.

Gem Scam.

Seafood Scam.

Baht Bus Scam.

Terrorists.

Tsunamis.

Bird Flue.

Legal System.

Littering Police Scam.

Student Survey Scam.

And . .

Whinging, whiney farangs who are frustrated with their lives and inability to cope.

Welcome to Thailand.

TOT Phone Scam.

Pilfered Baggage.

Bogus Custom Officials.

Magnetometer Heist.

Taxi Touts/Limo Scam.

Hotel Airport Scam.

Double Pricing.

Gem Scam.

Seafood Scam.

Baht Bus Scam.

Terrorists.

Tsunamis.

Bird Flue.

Legal System.

Littering Police Scam.

Student Survey Scam.

And . .

Whinging, whiney farangs who are frustrated with their lives and inability to cope.

Somthing on the list incorrect Mr. Humility?

Why is it that some Farangs pop in here for a couple years and then go on as experts in everything Thai.

Why is it that some Farangs pop in here for a couple years and then go on as experts in everything Thai.

That's kind of ironic coming from a guy who joined (rejoined) the forum less than a month ago.

No, there is nothing wrong with the list. My point is twofold:

1) Most of them - and much worse - could be similarly applied to virtually anywhere in the world. There are 'scams' everywhere.

2) Anyone with a semblance of savvy and commonsense can find their way against such things relatively easily. Not one of those things have affected me at all. Avoiding a scam is just a question of having your wits around you, thinking ahead and not assuming a victim mentality.

And as for tsunamis? Well, yes, to include tragic natural disasters responsible for tens of thousands of deaths with petty scams says more about you than Thailand.

Welcome to Thailand.

TOT Phone Scam.

Pilfered Baggage.

Bogus Custom Officials.

Magnetometer Heist.

Taxi Touts/Limo Scam.

Hotel Airport Scam.

Double Pricing.

Gem Scam.

Seafood Scam.

Baht Bus Scam.

Terrorists.

Tsunamis.

Bird Flue.

Legal System.

Littering Police Scam.

Student Survey Scam.

And . .

And the occasional know-it-all expat who has found the only way to truly see no ships is to stick his head in the darkest place he can find. :D

This one has a reputation to keep up. :o

Rich

Rich old boy, you're quite right. It's hard being positive and looking at the bright side of things all the time. It truly is. But it's so much more refreshing than whinging and it does - of course - provide a useful counterbalance to the 90% negativity we find on thaivisa, don't you think?

I will soon be wanting to use those airport pay phones to make a local call inside Bangkok.

Are the local calls also expensive?

Unfortunately I don't have a cell phone, but I guess I could try and borrow one at the airport if the rip off prices also included local calls.