Pig Butchering in Thailand (Crypto)

Ever wonder why so many "tech" and crypto companies in Thailand? 

Fraudulent crypto investment schemes directed from Asia known as “pig butchering” have become a global billion-dollar industry. But little is known about those who benefit. Reuters traced at least $9 million linked to such scams to an account registered to a well-connected representative of a Chinese trade group in Thailand.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/fintech-crypto-fraud-thailand/

I have had 2 attempts at butchering this pig.

Both times I received a text asking me was I a tour guide in Bangkok. I said no. But the first "lady" started asking questions on where I lived. I told her Chiang Mai. She then said her and her sister were coming to Thailand for a holiday and if they came to Chiang Mai could I show them around. She claimed she was in Singapore. She sent me "her" photo. Very attractive. Chats went on for a week or a bit longer then the questions about money and investments started. I let it go for awhile knowing generally what they were after. I let her know it was a scam and blocked her.

Happened a few months later with a similar theme but this time I ended it quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

Ever wonder why so many "tech" and crypto companies in Thailand?

No---is pretty obvious..

Fun fact criminals also hide out in countries that dont have extradition laws to their home countries...

But good for you for discovering a new fun fact

lastly some countries use Fahrenheit!...a nod to ur username 🙂

48 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

No---is pretty obvious..

Fun fact criminals also hide out in countries that dont have extradition laws to their home countries...

But good for you for discovering a new fun fact

lastly some countries use Fahrenheit!...a nod to ur username 🙂

Celsius being the defunct crypto bank, but whatever 

Ive had this on my line many times  Very attractive, classy Korean pop star look.  I think sometimes its just an AI bit teying to learn things.  None asked for money or investments.   Recently it happened on the next door app.  Like a neighborhood app to post lost cats, and ask for advice on getting help around the house.   When i asked what bottlef of canned refreshment was nearby and for a picture of them holding it upside down.  They stop.  One wven said of you think I'm an AI bot block me.   I did report them   

I get several of those phone calls every day, if they speak Thai I just cut them off without speaking. If my wife calls me she always speaks English. Thai people never seem to realize that banks never talk business over the phone, if in doubt they should cut the phone call and go to their local branches. It took me ages to get this into my wifes head.