More In Depth And Loger Term Thai Language Course In Cm?

Wizzard of Oz

I've done a couple of the 6 week courses at AUA which were great starters, but heard something about a 6-month 20-40 hour a week intensive course at Payap (or something like that)

Does anyone know about that - or any other longer term course with lots of hours a week in CM ?

Cheers for any info,

WoZ

Oh, also if anyone knows any other ways to learn [other than by speaking to a thai person (which is good practice of what you already know, but difficult to actually learn new stuff). chime in please.

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

I've done a couple of the 6 week courses at AUA which were great starters, but heard something about a 6-month 20-40 hour a week intensive course at Payap (or something like that)

Does anyone know about that - or any other longer term course with lots of hours a week in CM ?

Cheers for any info,

WoZ

Oh, also if anyone knows any other ways to learn [other than by speaking to a thai person (which is good practice of what you already know, but difficult to actually learn new stuff). chime in please.

I guess I am stating the obvious but in my opinion the best way to learn is to immerse yourself entirely. Live and work amoungst the Thai people in more remote areas.

I don't know how many times I have listened to some dumb farang in a bar who knows a few words of Thai trying to teach some other dumb farang, of course farang #1 doesn't have the correct pronunciation to start with.

I personally have never done a course in either spoken or written Thai but have managed to have reached a reasonable level in my ability to speak and read Thai.

I guess I am stating the obvious but in my opinion the best way to learn is to immerse yourself entirely. Live and work amoungst the Thai people in more remote areas.

I don't know how many times I have listened to some dumb farang in a bar who knows a few words of Thai trying to teach some other dumb farang, of course farang #1 doesn't have the correct pronunciation to start with.

I personally have never done a course in either spoken or written Thai but have managed to have reached a reasonable level in my ability to speak and read Thai.

As I mentioned - speaking to a thai person is good practice of what you already know, but difficult to actually learn new stuff. Obv once you can speak thai well enough to understand an explination in thai to a question you have about thai language, this is great. Until then this seems like almost a waste of time to me.

At AUA we moved forward at a very fast pace learning - maybe 10-20 new things each two hour lesson for each weekday - and I really felt like I moved forward very rapidly with that. I am 100% sure this was due to lucking out on a great teacher. The third course I had a different teacher who just sucked and after a couple of weeks I just didn't bother going back. If I could afford it, I would hire that first teacher, but $140 ozzie dollars a week for 10 hours private tuition is WAY over any budget I have. Which is a shame because I'm sure after 6 months of that I would be pretty fluent and be at the stage where I can speak thai well enough to understand an explination in thai to a question I have about thai language (but would also be broke lol).

Cheers for any info,

WoZ

Payap has a good series of courses on paper, but not in actuality. The individual courses are good (I took the intermediate course there and found it useful and enjoyable).The problem is that, while they often have enough students for the beginner course, and maybe for the intermediate course, they rarely or never go beyond this. I waited months for them to put on the next course in the series, until it became obvious this wasn't going to happen, and I went elsewhere (one-on-one tuition at EFL, which I can recommend---send me a message if you want more info). Good luck with your studies, Neil

I

personally have never done a course in either spoken or written Thai but have managed to have reached a reasonable level in my ability to speak and read Thai.

Most people learn better with the help of an *effective* teacher.

Cheers for any info,

WoZ

It's a pity you couldn't read the turn right sign at the race track that day..One of lifes classic moments. :D:o

It's a pity you couldn't read the turn right sign at the race track that day..One of lifes classic moments. :D:o

Get back in your chamber Oz...... fist.gif

dumb farang ...explination ....where I can speak thai well enough to understand an explination

Hey Wizzard,

While you're learning Thai, perhaps you should take a few English language classes too ... just a wild piece of advice to a self-appointed expert. Incidentally Thai is a formal noun and the name of a language, people and culture and should be capitalized.

But hey, why bother with the details?

I wonder who's dumb?

dumb farang ...explination ....where I can speak thai well enough to understand an explination

Hey Wizzard,

While you're learning Thai, perhaps you should take a few English language classes too ... just a wild piece of advice to a self-appointed expert. Incidentally Thai is a formal noun and the name of a language, people and culture and should be capitalized.

I wonder who's dumb?

1. I never used the phrase "dumb farang". That was another poster. Why put that inside quote with my name on it?

2. What exactly is wrong with my english? Was there something unclear when I said "... speak thai well enough to understand an explination in thai to a question you have about thai language..."? Or are you actually so unbelievably anal as to making a point about a trivial spelling error?

3. Are you trying to make it appear as though I am a hypocrite calling phalang dumb (which I didn't even say - another person said it) then attempting to make me appear as a hypocrit (despite me not even saying "dumb phalang" in the first place) by pointing out something so menial as a spelling error?

4. What are you a "self apointed expert" in? Having a stick up your ass?

5. Was their a purpose to your post other than to show the world that you are a complete dick?

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

Post deleted. Thread turned.

Yeah, I couldn't help putting jomama in his place considering what he said.

I'm happy for a mod to delete the last 6 posts (this and the 5 previous) for this thread to continue with the original topic in mind.

I am still interested in responses to my original post.

WoZ

Hey Wizzard,

I wonder who's dumb?

1. I never used the phrase "dumb farang". That was another poster. Why put that inside quote with my name on it?

2. What exactly is wrong with my english? Was there something unclear when I said "... speak thai well enough to understand an explination in thai to a question you have about thai language..."? Or are you actually so unbelievably anal as to making a point about a trivial spelling error?

3. Are you trying to make it appear as though I am a hypocrite calling phalang dumb (which I didn't even say - another person said it) then attempting to make me appear as a hypocrit (despite me not even saying "dumb phalang" in the first place) by pointing out something so menial as a spelling error?

4. What are you a "self apointed expert" in? Having a stick up your ass?

5. Was their a purpose to your post other than to show the world that you are a complete dick?

It sucks huh? everything sucks or sucked in the land of the wizzard of oz. very descriptive of the different parts of a human being. nonetheless creative :o. have fun dude. dont get so sucked.

edit: just to add the fact that i went to AUA for a while, some years back. Ever since then, its been a steep learning curve everyday just speaking to locals. and best part is that its all going for free. wow!

Edited by tigerbeer

Cheers for any info,

WoZ

WoZ I did all the Payap short courses Beginner to Advanced 2. Payap ran the first three but then said they didn't have the numbers to run the rest. I asked the course coordinator if I could get a minimum of 6 to commit would they run the class. I think that in an effort to placate me they agreed. I had the six people within two days despite Payap having never been able to get sufficient numbers. They ran those courses for us and they were good.

The course to which you refer is called FLAT and I was in the original intake. FLAT was designed for two purposes:

1) A prerequisite course for foreign students studying at the Post Grad school - eg MBA etc.

2) Students wanting a full time course in Thai

As far as I am aware it stopped with the last class that I took there because of the lack of numbers. It is a pity because it was very good however a couple of notes:

1) the course is full time and not cheap

2) BlinkyBill is correct. The only real way to learn Thai is to get away from the farung collective and move to a Thai village or an area dominated by Thais. Your presumption that until you can speak Thai you can't learn it is wrong. You will learn like every child - by pointing and getting a response. It will frustrate you and you will dispair but it is a very effective way to learn Thai.

3) Learning any language is frustrating and Thai is no different. It takes a lot of effort and practice to get to the point where you can have a reasonable conversation with a Thai native and you had better believe it is much different speaking to them than a teacher in a classroom who is used to miss pronunciations and bad grammer. Just remember that having a conversation with a 12 year old is to speak with someone who has been learning the language for about 10 years so compare that with how long you have been learning Thai.

4) A Thai teacher may not be as expensive as you think. Many Thai college/university students will willingly exchange an hour of teaching Thai for an hour of learning/practicing English.

5) Speak with Ajaan Noi or Ajaan Ray at Payap. They may be able to help re the FLAT course or alternatives.

hope this helps

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Thank you for the response CB.

4) A Thai teacher may not be as expensive as you think. Many Thai college/university students will willingly exchange an hour of teaching Thai for an hour of learning/practicing English.

I did get some amazing help from an older thai woman I met here some 6-7 months ago and she helped enormously and is one of the nicest people I've ever met. But I met her purely by dumb luck and she since has moved to BKK. I'm not sure how I would even go about meeting someone else like that.

Also, I'm not sure I am able to teach English. I haven't taught before and know nothing whatsoever about teaching it other than correcting someone when the speak incorrectly. So I'm not sure I would be able to reciprocate the help.

5) Speak with Ajaan Noi or Ajaan Ray at Payap. They may be able to help re the FLAT course or alternatives.

If you happen to have either of those people's phone numbers, would you mind PM'ing me with it?

hope this helps

CB

It did - very much. Thank you.

During my time in Thailand I have never mastered spoken Thai but can understand quite a bit in conversation. Blinky and Crowboy as non-Thai, speaking Thai, are among the best. This has been confirmed to me by Thais on several occasions. To answer the question before it is asked, I moved here in 1992.

During my time in Thailand I have never mastered spoken Thai but can understand quite a bit in conversation. Blinky and Crowboy as non-Thai, speaking Thai, are among the best. This has been confirmed to me by Thais on several occasions.

I bet that Sabaijai would give them a run for their money! :o

During my time in Thailand I have never mastered spoken Thai but can understand quite a bit in conversation. Blinky and Crowboy as non-Thai, speaking Thai, are among the best. This has been confirmed to me by Thais on several occasions. To answer the question before it is asked, I moved here in 1992.

Aw gee Slapper. I get by pretty well but there are a few others who do better. Thanks for the compliment.

2) BlinkyBill is correct. The only real way to learn Thai is to get away from the farung collective and move to a Thai village or an area dominated by Thais. Your presumption that until you can speak Thai you can't learn it is wrong. You will learn like every child - by pointing and getting a response. It will frustrate you and you will dispair but it is a very effective way to learn Thai.

It is one way of learning for sure, but it may not be the best unless you live in Central Thailand.

Northern Thai people in the villages always speak Kham Mueang amongst themselves and while some of them speak ok Standard Thai (typically people under 30 with enough schooling and work experience from the city - but also some older people who have worked with the public in some way in Chiang Mai), this is by no means the norm among older people. They understand Central Thai but may not be so keen on speaking it, or used to doing so. In my wife's family the older uncles and my mother in law feel very uncomfortable speaking Central Thai, so we communicate using two languages - I speak Central Thai and they speak mueang. It works ok as my mueang vocabulary is large enough for everyday chit chat, but I am still often lost when they are talking to each other. In Bangkok on the other hand, I understand most of what people say even when they are not speaking with me.

So perhaps decide what it is you want to do - if it is Standard Thai you want to speak, then I think you are right in trying to get yourself a proper teacher. If you want to learn Northern Thai, then moving out to outer San Sai, Doi Saket or Mae Rim for immersion is a good idea.

During my time in Thailand I have never mastered spoken Thai but can understand quite a bit in conversation. Blinky and Crowboy as non-Thai, speaking Thai, are among the best. This has been confirmed to me by Thais on several occasions.

I bet that Sabaijai would give them a run for their money! :o

I agree - there are also a couple of other people I know that have better Thai than me - Meadish is one of them.