Jump to content

Noam Chomsky’s wife says reports of famed linguist’s death are false. True?


Recommended Posts

There is a conspiracy about Noam Chomsky that he is a CIA agent who has been tasked to brainwash people.

 

Even though he has warned people about media manipulation, he arguably has spent his life manipulating people with bs theories.

 

So the short answer is NO I don't like him.

  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

There is a conspiracy about Noam Chomsky that he is a CIA agent who has been tasked to brainwash people.

 

Even though he has warned people about media manipulation, he arguably has spent his life manipulating people with bs theories.

 

So the short answer is NO I don't like him.

 

I never thought you were one who might like his thinking and his writings.

No worries.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

 

I never thought you were one who might like his thinking and his writings.

No worries.

 

PS 

he's so hideous looking the last few years that he should stay off camera

he is frightening the children

he should start acting in horror movies 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

 

I never thought you were one who might like his thinking and his writings.

No worries.

 

I like Boston.

 

All I want is to have my Peace of Mind.

 

I dont need endless political chatter, which ruins my Peace of Mind.

 

And that's what the game is all about. Peace of Mind.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I hope that Noam will continue to live on, for another decades....AT LEAST.

 

it's good to have dreams and ambitions ....not a bad place to recover.

 

 

 

Edited by stoner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, stoner said:

 

it's good to have dreams and ambitions ....not a bad place to recover.

 

 

 

 

Yes.

BUTT.....I rarely dream of Black Porn....

 

Do you?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I like Boston.

 

All I want is to have my Peace of Mind.

 

I dont need endless political chatter, which ruins my Peace of Mind.

 

And that's what the game is all about. Peace of Mind.

 

 

 

Boston was one of the most OVERRATED bands of all time.....

Just my feeling.....though....

 

Such a blasé band....

 

Makes me want to return to my coffin.

 

 

 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just today, I saw a very black guy riding on a motosai, going by me.

 

He was as black as the ace of spades!

 

I thought to myself.....

 

Well, you don't see something like this, everyday, around here.....

 

And.....So True!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I hope not. I need an hour's lecture on is it "The Cat in tha Hat" or "Tha Cat in The Hat".

 

He is not dead.

They only thought he was dead, apparently.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Boston was one of the most OVERRATED bands of all time.....

 

Boston was a decent band with 4 hits. But their songs are still a good listen.

 

Chomsky is over-rated and needs to shut up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

 

Boston was a decent band with 4 hits. But their songs are still a good listen.

 

Chomsky is over-rated and needs to shut up.

 

 

After a stroke...

Then, how much can he say?

 

I will miss this guy, greatly.

 

I wish he were still in his younger years, with the same vigor as when he was at MIT.

 

I wish him well.

 

Nobody can say that he did not work very hard.....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Struggling to learn Thai has made me more sceptical of Chomsky’s claim that all human languages, however different, share the same underlying grammatical structure. There’s a very entertaining book, “Don’t Sleep, there are Snakes” by Daniel Everett, about his life with a tribe of Amazonian Indians, in which he claims their language lacks recursion, which he thinks is a counter example to Chomsky’s theory of universal grammar.

 

I find it curious that certain sections of the far right seem to be gravitating towards Chomsky’s bat **** crazy extreme leftist view of the United States as being the source of most of the world’s evil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Struggling to learn Thai has made me more sceptical of Chomsky’s claim that all human languages, however different, share the same underlying grammatical structure. There’s a very entertaining book, “Don’t Sleep, there are Snakes” by Daniel Everett, about his life with a tribe of Amazonian Indians, in which he claims their language lacks recursion, which he thinks is a counter example to Chomsky’s theory of universal grammar.

 

I find it curious that certain sections of the far right seem to be gravitating towards Chomsky’s bat **** crazy extreme leftist view of the United States as being the source of most of the world’s evil.

 

When he talks of an underlying grammar, he does not mean the grammatical constructions particular to any given language such as Thai, or Japanese, English or Russian, of course.  He is talking about a different underlying grammar that is not learned but common to all human language....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 1:20 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Just today, I saw a very black guy riding on a motosai, going by me.

 

He was as black as the ace of spades!

 

I thought to myself.....

 

Well, you don't see something like this, everyday, around here.....

 

And.....So True!

 

 

I had a friend like that in San Antonio, TX .  He was from Belize. I wish I could remember his name so I could look for him.    He worked hard there, bought a 1970 Toronado there, then immigrated, legally, to the United States.  He had the darkest skin of anyone I have known.  Even darker than my neighbor a few houses down who is from Nigeria.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 6:50 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

image.png.b6892b32754139d3c73929e574b2b049.png

 

 

Go, Man, GO!

 

 

 

When I heard the lady say, this is democracy now, I stopped watching the video.
Nothing but communist propaganda!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 1:18 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

 

How black are you?

 

Black Like Me?

image.png.cfc926ec905d220306c8867bd622a333.png

 

I read book back in the mid 1960's approximately when I was a teenager.   I found it in the Leesville, LA, U.S. of A. public library.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When he talks of an underlying grammar, he does not mean the grammatical constructions particular to any given language such as Thai, or Japanese, English or Russian, of course.  He is talking about a different underlying grammar that is not learned but common to all human language....

Yes, I realise that, hence my point about the need for something as fundamentally different as the alleged lack of recursion in an Amazonian language to refute Chomsky’s idea of universal grammar, rather than relatively minor differences such as French’s notorious tenses and irregular verbs compared with Thai’s simpler verbs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Yes, I realise that, hence my point about the need for something as fundamentally different as the alleged lack of recursion in an Amazonian language to refute Chomsky’s idea of universal grammar, rather than relatively minor differences such as French’s notorious tenses and irregular verbs compared with Thai’s simpler verbs.

 

Yes, but, as far as I know, this does not involve just verbs.

Chomsky is not speaking of something as superficial at verb tenses, or grammar in the way grammar is commonly perceived.

It's deeper than that, as I guess you know.

image.png.683bd2e61c0d976aa37fbd3faeed57f0.png

https://www.structural-learning.com/post/chomskys-theory#:~:text=Chomsky's Universal Grammar theory suggests,innate grammatical structures and rules.

 

 

It's about an evolved internal language learning ability, and not necessarily about spoken language.

But, as I stated just now, I am sure that you already know this, from your comment.

 

I am not debating this issue here, and only commenting about one aspect.

 

image.png.716d5e5f2e69bf699d33518114f83fdd.png

 

I am not saying that language evolved first through an "internal" conversation before spoken language became possible, as I think Chomsky proposes. Still, it remains an interesting question concerning how human language ability evolved.

 

Not debating various theories here.  And, I am not sure that I would agree with Chomsky's beliefs in this.

Anyway, there is probably no way to prove one theory to be more valid than another....

 

Interesting to think about, though.

 

 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, good comment. Also related to the idea of whether the human brain has a special ‘language organ’, or if language is just a consequence of the human brain’s power, or if it’s a combination of both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Concerning the false rumor of Chomsky's death....

 

When I first say this rumor on the internet....

 

It was a real shock to me.

 

Chomsky has always seemed to be some sort of moral compass for so many, and for me.

 

Whether to the right or left of him, still Nim Chimpsky has meant a great deal to millions around the world.

 

I really hope that Noam lives another ten years, or more, to the age of 105.

 

Probably many of you don't like him much.

 

Probably many of you love him, too.

 

I can only say that I hope he lives another decade.

 

My sincere wishes to Chomsky for many more years.

 

I want to hear from him, again, soon.....

 

I enjoy, very much, listening to what he has to say.

 

He's a Philly lad, after all....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.








×
×
  • Create New...