Thailand Health Insurance Solutions for Long-Term Visitors

CharlieH

AD_4nXeayQDrRTM19rusliS6VGqHeEaAbeUklXBY

Thailand Health Insurance Solutions for Long-Term Visitors

Thailand is a top travel destination in Asia and a popular destination for digital nomads looking to work remotely as they explore everything the country has to offer. Digital nomads and long-term visitors with the long-stay visa can secure private health insurance to fulfill the visa requirements. 

Why Long-Term Visitors Need Health Insurance in Thailand

Health insurance is vital for long-term visitors in Thailand due to the fact that foreigners typically do not qualify for Thailand’s public health insurance schemes available to locals. Expats and digital nomads should secure private health insurance for access to private healthcare facilities.

For long-term visitors, especially those who do not speak Thai, access to the country’s private healthcare sector is more than just a quality issue. In addition to providing better services and being more well-equipped, private facilities are more likely to have English speaking staff to cater specifically for tourists and expats’ needs.

AD_4nXeRwCJqqh-ogioG0K9DhSeK7MIpZmsIQtmr

What to Consider When Getting Health Insurance in Thailand

As a long-term visitor to Thailand securing health insurance, there are several key factors to keep in mind when looking for a plan that satisfies your needs and requirements. Cost, coverage, benefits, and deductible / copayment options are key factors to keep in mind.

Here are a few key factors to keep in mind when securing your own private health insurance plan:

Cost

Cost is an important factor when looking for private health insurance. Be sure to look for plans that offer deductible and copayment options to effectively manage the cost of your health insurance in Thailand. 

Due to Thailand’s healthcare adopting a dual pricing system which allows healthcare services to charge foreigners in the country more than locals, it is highly recommended that expats, digital nomads, and long-term travellers secure their own policy to avoid out-of-pocket payments that can add up to a significant amount.

Coverage

Getting a policy with the right coverage that suits your needs and requirements is vital in ensuring that you are well protected. Benefits such as medical evacuations are highly recommended, especially for digital expats staying in more remote areas, due to the best private hospitals being located in major hubs and tourist attractions such as:

• Bangkok

• Chiang Mai

• Phuket

• Pattaya

• Koh Samui

• Hua Hin

Visa Requirements

If you are applying for Thailand’s Non-Immigrant Visa Category O, a Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A, or a Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-X, it is important to note that there may be health insurance requirements.

Here are the health insurance requirements for Thailand’s non-immigrant visas:

• Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay): Total sum of the insured must be no less than THB ฿3,000,000 (USD $100,000) per policy year.

Cost of Health Insurance in Thailand for Long-Term Visitors

Cost is an important factor to consider when securing private health insurance in Thailand. According to our Cost of Health Insurance Report 2023, the average cost for international health insurance in Thailand is USD $3,594 per year.

For those looking for family policies, the average cost for a family international health insurance policy in Thailand is approximately USD $11,683.

AD_4nXdwdKPrIvroxbCJBoJAl2cxb7i55xv2E8Z2

Conclusion

It is vital for long-term visitors in Thailand to secure a comprehensive health insurance policy to combat Thailand’s dual pricing system which allows healthcare providers to charge foreigners more when seeking healthcare services.

When buying health insurance in Thailand, it is not mandatory for foreigners to open a local bank account in Thailand. However, it is preferred by certain insurance providers, as such, long term-travelers to Thailand may consider opening a bank account in Thailand for convenience sake.

Securing a plan that is right for you can be a lot of work, from conducting your own research to comparing plans and benefits. This is where Pacific Prime can help.

With over two decades of experience in the industry as a global health insurance broker, we can leverage our partnerships with top insurers in Thailand to help you find an international health insurance plan that suits your needs, requirements, and most importantly, your budget. 

Contact us today to get free advice and obligation free quote.

I am amazed that advertisements so blatantly state that of course foreigners will be charged more than locals for any coverage.  On top of that they state the average cost for a policy is less than 4K a year...when they want so many retirees to stay long term here, why don't they provide the age tier costs which openly show that older folks (most retirees) would be paying more than that average cost of a policy.  And  many retirees probably have a family still so family costs would go over that 11K+ per policy per year.  Insurance costs here are ridiculous even compared to US costs which are really high as the cost of hospitalization and medical doctors is very high.  Also if there are any questions about coverage of a medicale event, I would like the guarantee of a US or foreign company versus being a foreigner and  fighting with a local company for any lack ofguaranteed coverage.  These are my feelings about the health insurance here....though I have had accident insurance for me and my family plus I did purchase a COVID insurance policy - these were relatively CHEAP and the insurer did take care of us whenever we had a medical problem.  Just saying....good luck to all!