Intended departure date for ED visa

I’m not sure if anyone may know this, but should the intended departure date on the ED visa application (for higher education) be within the original 90 days? I put my intended departure date as being next year since my undergraduate program lasts the entire academic year, and I included those program dates in the application for that respective field. However, I'm unsure if I should have listed a departure date within the initial 90-day period the visa is valid for, or the actual intended departure date after extending the Non-Immigrant ED Visa in Thailand.

For some extendable tourist visas, you need to show the intended departure date within the original visa period. Does this also apply to the Non-Immigrant ED Visa for university students?

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 2:57 AM, uninformed_traveler said:

I’m not sure if anyone may know this, but should the intended departure date on the ED visa application (for higher education) be within the original 90 days? I put my intended departure date as being next year since my undergraduate program lasts the entire academic year, and I included those program dates in the application for that respective field. However, I'm unsure if I should have listed a departure date within the initial 90-day period the visa is valid for, or the actual intended departure date after extending the Non-Immigrant ED Visa in Thailand.

For some extendable tourist visas, you need to show the intended departure date within the original visa period. Does this also apply to the Non-Immigrant ED Visa for university students?

The intended departure date should be the date you are leaving. You will have 90 days (or whatever amount of time they grant you ) to enter and stay in Thailand starting from the day your visa is APPROVED. If your departure date is next year, then you should not be applying now. 

Edited by TellTale
Clarity
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/4/2024 at 11:57 PM, uninformed_traveler said:

I’m not sure if anyone may know this, but should the intended departure date on the ED visa application (for higher education) be within the original 90 days? I put my intended departure date as being next year since my undergraduate program lasts the entire academic year, and I included those program dates in the application for that respective field.

That's correct.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:57 PM, uninformed_traveler said:

However, I'm unsure if I should have listed a departure date within the initial 90-day period the visa is valid for, or the actual intended departure date after extending the Non-Immigrant ED Visa in Thailand.

You cannot extend a visa.
You extend the period of stay from the 90 days granted on entry with the ED visa.

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

8. On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau 

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/general-information?menu=5e1ff6d057b01e00a6391dc5

3 hours ago, TellTale said:

The intended departure date should be the date you are leaving. You will have 90 days (or whatever amount of time they grant you ) to enter and stay in Thailand starting from the day your visa is APPROVED. If your departure date is next year, then you should not be applying now. 

Nonsense.

7 hours ago, uninformed_traveler said:

So, the date of departure from Thailand should be within 90 days of my planned arrival date? 

No,

The Embassy will be fully aware you can, and will have to extend your period of stay to complete the 1-year course.

You stated you uploaded the necessary documents informing the dates of the course.
That should suffice, don't worry.

It's more an 'intended' date of return, rather than an 'actual' date of return.

• Like 1