พูดภาษาไทยได้มั้ย

MalcolmB

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

That forum will be a better place for you to practice.  I note some spelling errors in some of your sentences, so maybe you are not copying and pasting.  Nevertheless, I think the Thai language forum is really intended for specific questions about Thai, rather than chatting away...

I tried that forum, it is good BUT it is so slow? 
I will try again on Monday see if they fix it.

i really don’t understand the pile on for wanting to learn thai on the thai language forum? Forum is fine with hanging it on Thais, complaining about everything etc but not for learning anything? 3 reports were made to three mods it looks like. 

maybe the muppets thought I was copy and pasting because I made the font bigger?

i did that to make it easier to read.

I am mildly pi44ed off. Went to a bit of effort. People with zero interest in learning Thai complained. 

I am finding the spelling a bit difficult, to many letter for “s” “d” and “k” sound.

reading is quite easy. 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

@MalcolmB

Seems your simple posts in thai are not appreciated by others, not sure why as this is the Thai Language forum, but you're probably best practicing posting in thai script in http://www.thai-language.com/forums. Good luck.

It is really slow that forum.

i hope it is just a temporary issue.

Perhaps a better option is a Thai chat forum, used almost exclusively by Thais. I can't remember the name of the forum, but maybe 15-20 years ago I used such a chat forum to improve my written/reading Thai.  Or go onto Thai Friendly and say that you come from Wales and can only speak/write in Welsh or Thai.....

55 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Perhaps a better option is a Thai chat forum, used almost exclusively by Thais. I can't remember the name of the forum,

I asked a thai, they said Pantip. I will try it, also the thai language forum is up to speed now. It is good.

55 minutes ago, simon43 said:

but maybe 15-20 years ago I used such a chat forum to improve my written/reading Thai.  Or go onto Thai Friendly and say that you come from Wales and can only speak/write in Welsh or Thai.....

you are living proof that it is possible.

So many say it is too hard, but I think they are lazy and never actually really tried.

Good one.

i am still baffled by the strong resistance on this forum, I suppose it easier for them to spend their days making insulting and disparaging comments about Thais than actually doing something constructive 

Its nasty

35 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I asked a thai, they said Pantip. I will try it, also the thai language forum is up to speed now. It is good.

So many say it is too hard, but I think they are lazy and never actually really tried.

Good one.

i am still baffled by the strong resistance on this forum, I suppose it easier for them to spend their days making insulting and disparaging comments about Thais than actually doing something constructive 

Its nasty

I also took private lessons in Thai and studied for an MA at Chulalongkorn University... 🙂

55 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Good one.

Its nasty

It's certainly possible. I'm completely self-taught and have worked as a Thai-English translator for many years. 
Unfortunately, most people who can really read and write Thai aren't going to engage with the chat here. Agree though that there's no need for any negativity for anyone trying to practice, especially in the Thai Language forum.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2024 at 11:50 AM, simon43 said:

อยู่เมืองปลักพูลล์...

interesting choice of transliteration, does get the accent across

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's certainly possible. I'm completely self-taught and have worked as a Thai-English translator for many years. 
Unfortunately, most people who can really read and write Thai aren't going to engage with the chat here. Agree though that there's no need for any negativity for anyone trying to practice, especially in the Thai Language forum.  

Nice to hear. 
Personally I am finding learning smaller amounts properly and constantly revising is the best way rather than learning too much new stuff.

it gets repetitive but I retain it better. 
trying to “think” in Thai also. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, digbeth said:

interesting choice of transliteration, does get the accent across

Lol, I was thinking in real-time about how to write Blackpool in Thai 🙂

I don't actually have need to write much in Thai nowadays.  I stayed in Laos recently for a couple of years and so had some lessons to bring me up to speed on reading, writing and speaking Lao language.  Right now, I am brushing up on my Burmese language because I hope to return to Burma in a year or so after I retire to do some more volunteer teaching 🙂  (So I welcome chat in Lao or Burmese, but we need to make a new sub-forum for that!).  Come to think of this, the forum is 'Asean...', so perhaps we need an Asian language forum other than just Thai language.

Edited by simon43

ผมว่าเจ้าของโพสไม่ได้ก็อปวางมาหรอก เพราะมีจุดผิดพลาดแบบคนเพิ่งเรียนภาษาไทยหลายจุด อย่างการใส่ไม้เอกในคำว่าอยาก (เป็น อย่าก) ซึ่งจริงๆ แล้วไม่จำเป็น เพราะคำว่าอยากมีเสียงต้นเป็น อย ที่ทำให้แม้เสียงจะเป็น ย ซึ่งเป็นอักษรต่ำ แต่ผันวรรณยุกต์แบบอักษรกลาง พอมีตัวสะกดเป็น ก ทำให้คำนี้เป็นคำตาย ดังนั้นเสียงเมื่อไม่มีวรรณยุกต์จะออกเสียงเป็นเสียงเอกอยู่แล้วโดยไม่ต้องใส่ไม้เอก

13 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

ผมว่าเจ้าของโพสไม่ได้ก็อปวางมาหรอก เพราะมีจุดผิดพลาดแบบคนเพิ่งเรียนภาษาไทยหลายจุด

คุณถูกครับ

เพียงคนที่งอคิดอย่างนั้น

คุณเขียนภาษาไทยเก่งจริง

คุณเรียนภาษาไทยกี่ปีแล้ว

On 7/7/2024 at 12:05 PM, simon43 said:

So I welcome chat in Lao or Burmese,

Good luck with that. It will trigger the muppets who will all be fighting themselves to get to the report button first.

I was told that Thai and Loation writing is similar and a lot of the words are the same or similar?

You would know as good as anybody. Could a Thai speaking Thai communicate effectively with a Laotian speaking Laos? How about Issan people?

On 7/9/2024 at 8:18 AM, MalcolmB said:

คุณถูกครับ

เพียงคนที่งอคิดอย่างนั้น

คุณเขียนภาษาไทยเก่งจริง

คุณเรียนภาษาไทยกี่ปีแล้ว

น่าจะเป็นคนไทยมั๊ยครับ words like เจ้าของโพสต์ shows familiarity with thai internet vocabulary whereas a non-natives would maybe invent a new translation 

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

น่าจะเป็นคนไทยมั๊ยครับ words like เจ้าของโพสต์ shows familiarity with thai internet vocabulary whereas a non-natives would maybe invent a new translation 

He is quite advanced.

sounds like you are also.

good inspiration for me.

thanks

On 7/9/2024 at 8:24 AM, MalcolmB said:

Good luck with that. It will trigger the muppets who will all be fighting themselves to get to the report button first.

I was told that Thai and Loation writing is similar and a lot of the words are the same or similar?

You would know as good as anybody. Could a Thai speaking Thai communicate effectively with a Laotian speaking Laos? How about Issan people?

Laotian would understand Thai quite well due to exposure to Thai media and can modify their vocabulary for Thais to understand 

A Thai might understand some spoken lao as well as Issan, but would struggle with writing from signs etc

Issan people from Thailand will have easier time in Laos compared to Bangkok Thai for sure

Lao and Issan use mostly the same verbs and common words, but nouns of things will differ, it's sill mutually understood, but like some words has been replaced with weird choice of a thesaurus, more marked diffrence in modern coined or loaned words

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1