Changrai Or Rayong?

pauleddy

I am thinking of having a few days off work around Mother's Day. I have never been to either of these places, and am looking for comments/advice.

I will not bore you with the whys and wherefores of the choices. I know that they are totally different, country and sea. Re. Rayong, I am not asking about Samet or Pattaya.

Qs would be:

Where to stay gay or gay friendly? If n/a, any other places or hotels? I have a medium budget, not looking for basic. Utopia has a Reggae Guest House near Rayong (?!) but it sounds a bit far away. In CRai there are some bars near the Wangcome Hotel...but what is the hotel? 5 star?

Any gay action or bars you know of? Any other hot-spots or cruising? Host bars to avoid?

I am not expecting miracles, just somewhere enjoyable for 3 days.

All comments welcome

PEd

I am thinking of having a few days off work around Mother's Day. I have never been to either of these places, and am looking for comments/advice.

I will not bore you with the whys and wherefores of the choices. I know that they are totally different, country and sea. Re. Rayong, I am not asking about Samet or Pattaya.

Qs would be:

Where to stay gay or gay friendly? If n/a, any other places or hotels? I have a medium budget, not looking for basic. Utopia has a Reggae Guest House near Rayong (?!) but it sounds a bit far away. In CRai there are some bars near the Wangcome Hotel...but what is the hotel? 5 star?

Any gay action or bars you know of? Any other hot-spots or cruising? Host bars to avoid?

I am not expecting miracles, just somewhere enjoyable for 3 days.

All comments welcome

PEd

I can only comment on Chiang Rai as I have never been to Rayong.

When in Chiang Rai I always stay at the Wiang Inn, it is right in the middle of town 5 minutes walk to bus station, night market and the few gay bars in town.

If booked by a Thai the rooms go for 1.600 baht net including a good buffet breakfast for 2. The pool is nice and the rooms/bathrooms are OK.

For me the charm of Chiang Rai is not the city but the surounding areas (including the Golden Triangle) best explored with a rent a car.

The only time I went to the bars area,I found it very quiet and tame. Very provincial in a good way.

Enjoy

CR has two gay bars. They are smaller and not too busy, but there are okay boys in both bars and can be fun. There are also a number of discoes with a mixed clientle. Not much to do or see in CR city itself except the small night market (nice food court with music though) and the white temple.

As Krub said, the best thing is to see the countryside around CR which is very nice. I highly reccomend Doi Tung for the beautiful gardens, the drive from Chiang Saen to Mae Sai along the Kong river (and through the golden triangle area), a quick trip into Laos via boat near Chiang Saen or into Burma via the Mae Sai gate, and especially the drive to Doi Mae Salong which is a Chinese settlement and tea growing region in the mountains (if you go to Mae Salong check out the temple above the city which is beautiful and offers stunning views). My favorite thing to do in this area is to drive the back roads and check out all of the rice farms and pastoral and mountain settings.

I've only been to Rayong for visa runs and was never impressed, but I can't really say I saw much from the bus.

CR has two gay bars. They are smaller and not too busy, but there are okay boys in both bars and can be fun. There are also a number of discoes with a mixed clientle. Not much to do or see in CR city itself except the small night market (nice food court with music though) and the white temple.

As Krub said, the best thing is to see the countryside around CR which is very nice. I highly reccomend Doi Tung for the beautiful gardens, the drive from Chiang Saen to Mae Sai along the Kong river (and through the golden triangle area), a quick trip into Laos via boat near Chiang Saen or into Burma via the Mae Sai gate, and especially the drive to Doi Mae Salong which is a Chinese settlement and tea growing region in the mountains (if you go to Mae Salong check out the temple above the city which is beautiful and offers stunning views). My favorite thing to do in this area is to drive the back roads and check out all of the rice farms and pastoral and mountain settings.

I've only been to Rayong for visa runs and was never impressed, but I can't really say I saw much from the bus.

Thanks to both for replies.

Are the CR bars mainly MBs/Hosts...or are they regular gay bars? I know it can be 'fluid'.

Are they the same names as on Utopia/Dragoncastle? Located near a hotel?

The CR bus station facilities are said to be busy/cruisy. Is there any other "known" place? Shopping arcades etc? I don't make a habit of this but small towns can sometimes drive you insane after a few days.

PEd

You can PM me for the exact name, but close to Wangcome (which I rate as 3 star, fine, with pool; but this was four years ago) are at least one host/MB bar and my guide said there was a Thai gay bar nearby as well.

Facing Wangcome (on the north side of the hotel) is Regency Bar.

Go further towards the clock, turn right in a small soi leading to a kind of courtyard with many girl bars ; among them a boys bar called Lobo Boys.

Both bars are quite similar with a very quiet but nice atmosphere, and generally only one boy dancing a go-go at the same time and for quite long, so it is a long time before you have seen all the boys dancing.