Registering A Motorbike

Soi Sauce

Hallo,

I've got an unregistered yamaha tw200 which i use around my Isaan village, but I want to bring it to Bkk. Up there, no registration is no big problem, but in Bkk I can see it being such.

To overcome this problem, does anyone know how to go about getting the nescessary documents for it?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Hallo,

I've got an unregistered yamaha tw200 which i use around my Isaan village, but I want to bring it to Bkk. Up there, no registration is no big problem, but in Bkk I can see it being such.

To overcome this problem, does anyone know how to go about getting the nescessary documents for it?

Cheers

I have one, too, here in Bangkok. And I'm not registered either. I just ride the sois near home, and from a police standpoint, I am never worried. On main roads, however, the checkpoints are a problem.

The other big problem is if you are involved in an accident. Then, you are in a world of the well-known article. Without valid registration, your insurance is null and void. If the police come, they will almost certainly confiscate your bike. This applies in BKK, and upcountry.

Ok, so we need to get legal. Here is the state of my knowledge, after a lot of searching:

The only 100% legal way is to go to the ONE inspection site in Thailand, which is in Samut Prakan, and pay 27,000 baht for the inspection. They will keep your bike for 5-10 days, and thoroughly test it for compliance with emissions standards. If you fail, no registration. If you pass, you take the paper, along with the bill of sale and invoice, showing the import tax paid, to the Department of Land Transport, pay the road tax (600 baht for a 200cc bike), and some other miscellaneous fees for the license plate, etc., and you are good to go.

I had a Thai friend call the engineer at the Inspection station, and there was some talk of paying 30,000 and getting a free re-test, if the initial test failed. This would presumably allow you to correct something as simple as the idle mixture screw adjustment, etc.

As I understand it, the test covers emissions ONLY, and does not evaluate the general roadworthiness of the bike.

The paperwork and documentation is pretty daunting, and although I speak Thai, I would at least have a Thai person around to help with the process, and expect to have to scramble around a few days getting it all together.

If you go to the Department of Land Transport office on Paholyothin Rd, there are literally dozens of 'facilitators' hanging around the car park under the building where you go to do the registrations. They know what to do, and you will have to pay them to do it, but it should be fair.

The alternative is to take it to one of the big shops like Siam Superbike, or Red Baron, and have them take care of the whole thing, but it will be VERY expensive, like 70-80K baht.

Currently, I am looking into an alternative, but I don't have the answer yet, and I am a bit doubtful as to whether it will work, so I will not yet describe it.

It boils down to cash. I would guess you could get it done for around 35-40K, including some assistance from the Thai facilitator.

Good luck, and please post back with the results if you try to get it done.

Sateev

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_0595Small-full.jpg

IMG_0597Small-full.jpg

You are lookig at between 50,000 to 80,000 to get a book for the bike. Riding around on it may be OK till you get an MIB who wants your bike, then you will lose it and what you paid for it is gone also. Buying any bike without a book is a big gamble. How do you know the bike is not stolen? You will only find out when you pay to have it registered so then you are out of pocket for the bike and the registration. Best advice is NO BOOK, WALK AWAY! you know it makes sense!!!!!!!! :o