Program not starting when clicked

For the sake of something to do I've been trying out different lesser-known browsers.  Thorium, Epic, Falkon, Phoebe, UR and Min so far.

I also downloaded and installed one called Floorp which sounded interesting.     It installed without a problem but when I double-clicked on the icon nothing happened.  So I tried to run the icon as administrator, nothing doing.  I went to the installation directory and found an install log.  Very comprehensive, but no install problems.  I double-clicked the .exe and then tried to run the .exe as admin, all attempts were ignored.  I uninstalled it and download the previous version and installed that.  Same same.  I uninstalled that and downloaded the portable version: same same.  I've looked in the Windows  task manager when I try to start, but nothing happens.

Any thoughts from anybody what could be causing it?  All other programs start OK.

Maybe that .exe just doesn't do anything.

Or when it starts it looks up something, like i.e. the OS version, and when it doesn't find what it expects, it just stops.

No .exe has to give any error message; they can just do nothing.

Reboot after the install. Yes, shouldn't be necessary.

See if it happens to be minimized and running in the system tray.

Right-click the file and run the Compatibility troubleshooter.

• Thumbs Up 1

You've done the things I initially would have suggested. 

Have you tried restarting the computer after installation and then trying to launch the browser?  You never know, it could work. 

Edit:  the member BigStar beat me to it.

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Thumbs Up 1

I re-installed it and immediately restarted my PC.  No deal, still would not launch.  I disabled the firewall and Windows defender virus protection, no deal.  So I'm stuck now.  I have a thumb drive with Windows 11 on, I'll try that when I feel like it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried several browsers but Firefox is the one that bests suit me. I even use a duckduckgo extension for added security. It's worked well for me for the 18 months.

17 hours ago, lungbing said:

I re-installed it and immediately restarted my PC.  No deal, still would not launch.  I disabled the firewall and Windows defender virus protection, no deal.  So I'm stuck now.  I have a thumb drive with Windows 11 on, I'll try that when I feel like it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Downloaded and installed running now on my Win 10 64bit.....no problems encountered :thumbsup:

My processor is an  AMD Athlon II X3 455   but a Floorp requirement is  having a Pentium 4 processor with SSE2 support.  Perhaps that's my problem because I've just tried the offline installer, the online installer and the portable version one after the other, all with the same result.

But thank you all for your suggestions.

Today I've installed Windows 11 on a different disc.  Floorp downloaded with Edge, installed OK but will not run!  It's something to do with my basic computer setup, but I cannot think what.  I give up.

On 7/16/2024 at 8:58 PM, lungbing said:

My processor is an  AMD Athlon II X3 455

Haven't thought about those in years. Long ago I had an Athlon X2 and then X4. And I had recommended an X3 for a friend (and a quality PSU); that computer lasted many years, too.

Well, Floorp probably wouldn't have been worth it anyway. Let's do sour grapes. I had read about it but decided Firefox, SRWare Iron, and Opera would do me.