Pension company incompetence?

In May I received a letter from Pru, part of M&G plc, requesting me to fill out a 'confirmation of details' form, which I duly did. I assume they got my address from HMRC via my NI number.

Yesterday I received another letter requesting me to send a recent bank statement so that they can "proceed further". As with HMRC, I ended up phoning them 3 times, each time being on hold for 15 minutes and then speaking to someone that, while being very courteous and helpful, couldn't get access to my details - the last one arranging a call-back, which happened this afternoon.

Once clearing identification, I asked why they wanted my bank details (the policies I had with them were transferred 10 years ago). I then asked for a transfer balance, I was put on hold, then not given a value, she was very evasive, and then could no longer hear me, although I could hear her.

Are they now so incompetent that they may be paying out on old policies?

4 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

Once clearing identification, I asked why they wanted my bank details

They are required to do an identity check on you, this is generally done by a credit check on your UK bank, or UK address.

Without this check they won't pay out, and they have no way to do this check with someone who has neither.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They are required to do an identity check on you, this is generally done by a credit check on your UK bank, or UK address.

Without this check they won't pay out, and they have no way to do this check with someone who has neither.

But they asked for my Thai bank details, they now knowing 'where I live'......

And I no longer have a policy with them.....

1 minute ago, NotEinstein said:

But they asked for my Thai bank details, they now knowing 'where I live'......

And I no longer have a policy with them.....

I was contacted last year by a former pension company I had transferred out of many years back.

Essentially the letter said they owe me 4000 pounds that they had underpaid when I made the transfer.

I didn't question them, just gave my bank account, and a few days later had free money.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was contacted last year by a former pension company I had transferred out of many years back.

Essentially the letter said they owe me 4000 pounds that they had underpaid when I made the transfer.

I didn't question them, just gave my bank account, and a few days later had free money.

That would be nice, but surely she could have just told me that.......

3 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Are they now so incompetent that they may be paying out on old policies?

In your situation I am surprised you sent them any information.........

I wish one of my deferred schemes was that incompetent as I have not heard anything from them for over 3 years and it is potentially payable in the next couple of weeks......

When I contacted the administrators by email (as I had done in the past) it was like trying to get a Thai company to respond by email. When I finally bit the bullet to phone them it was like they were doing me a favour answering the phone............