Converting from business to DTV visa

Since I can basically stay in Thailand for 5 years on the DTV visa with the annual bounce I don't really see the benefit anymore for me to stay on a business visa apart from it being a path to citizenship.

Does anyone know the correct procedure to convert from Business to DTV visa for people who are inside Thailand?

Can I technically just use a bordering country to apply through the e-visa system? Then if I get the DTV approval, I just fly out and back in, then tell them to use the DTV visa and not the multiple entry business visa to stamp me back in? Would that nullify the business visa and the DTV would start at that point?

I cannot answer some of your questions, but I can confirm reports of people currently inside Thailand applying for AND being granted the DTV, to be clear, while being in Thailand .

One case via Hong Kong.

You would obviously need to leave Thailand and re enter using the DTV.

I cannot comment on the mechanics of your existing business visa, whether you need to cancel it or not etc. 

I'm pretty sure an in-country conversion is NOT possible, but am not 100% certain on this. 

11 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

I cannot answer some of your questions, but I can confirm reports of people currently inside Thailand applying for AND being granted the DTV, to be clear, while being in Thailand

So as DTV is applied for via e-visa these people must be giving false information on their current location (note that Thailand is not an option in the drop down menu for current location on the e-visa application)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So as DTV is applied for via e-visa these people must be giving false information on their current location (note that Thailand is not an option in the drop down menu for current location on the e-visa application)

Yes, assume that is the case.

23 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

That seems foolish.  It would be easy to look at the date of issuance, and see that the applicant was in Thailand when it was issued. 
One could easily stamp-out of Thailand across a border, apply, get approved, then return, to avoid this.  Just waiting to see if they can apply at Thai consulates in Laos using 500K in a Thai account - would be the best way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Isn't the DTV a one time only and not repeatable after 5 years is up? I thought I heard that?

Someone wrote that - but I do not see it in the translation in this post (below) - but will the Visa still be available then?  Who knows.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, thanaka said:

Does anyone know the correct procedure to convert from Business to DTV visa for people who are inside Thailand?

You can't. 

You have to leave Thailand without having a valid re-entry permit, apply for the DTV at a Thai embassy or consulate  (in person or using the eVisa system), then once the DTV has been granted enter Thailand using your DTV.

Edited by Caldera

11 hours ago, thanaka said:

Since I can basically stay in Thailand for 5 years on the DTV visa with the annual bounce I don't really see the benefit anymore for me to stay on a business visa apart from it being a path to citizenship.

1. What exactly is your business visa?
  2. What is your business?

Look at the limitations of doing business in Thailand with the 60-day visa-exemption:

MFA infographic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKX8FaUVvvua5NKD-28Hivgu-65j2jcw/view?usp=drive_link

Ministry of Interior announcement in the Royal Gazette:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1scynBS9KdojNUhEXVQlqeCOKU68eYcC5/view?usp=drive_link

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

You can't. 

You have to leave Thailand without having a valid re-entry permit, apply for the DTV at a Thai embassy or consulate  (in person or using the eVisa system), then once the DTV has been granted enter Thailand using your DTV.

What if you have a multiple entry re-entry permit and you want to scrap it?

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

What if you have a multiple entry re-entry permit and you want to scrap it?

You said "business visa", but you have a multi re-entry permit, so you seem to be on an extension based on working for a Thai company? In that case, you'd need to terminate your employment, take a letter from the company to immigration to let them cancel your extension. That will also invalidate your re-entry permit and you can start over with a DTV. 

19 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

That is a good point, thank you.

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

1. What exactly is your business visa?
  2. What is your business?

Look at the limitations of doing business in Thailand with the 60-day visa-exemption:

MFA infographic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKX8FaUVvvua5NKD-28Hivgu-65j2jcw/view?usp=drive_link

Ministry of Interior announcement in the Royal Gazette:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1scynBS9KdojNUhEXVQlqeCOKU68eYcC5/view?usp=drive_link

I'm not sure if I am missunderstaing your post but I do not intend on re-entering with exemption. I plan on re-entering with DTV.

28 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You said "business visa", but you have a multi re-entry permit, so you seem to be on an extension based on working for a Thai company? In that case, you'd need to terminate your employment, take a letter from the company to immigration to let them cancel your extension. That will also invalidate your re-entry permit and you can start over with a DTV. 

I am on a non-immigrant visa category B and I currently work for a Thai company yes. I have a separate Re-entry stamp that I applied separately for. It is my first year working with this company, so I'm not sure if it is an extension.

The main thing I want to make sure is that I have a valid visa when re-entering. If it's not possible to change this visa on re-entry I guess it's probably safest to leave for a few days, apply for DTV, come back on my non-b visa, if I get DTV approval cancel everything correctly inside Thailand, leave and then re-enter on DTV.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Ok thanks. Sounds like a pain in the butt. Good info anyway

14 hours ago, thanaka said:

I am on a non-immigrant visa category B and I currently work for a Thai company yes. I have a separate Re-entry stamp that I applied separately for. It is my first year working with this company, so I'm not sure if it is an extension.

You cannot work for a Thai company on the DTV.  Your work-permit would be invalidated.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

You cannot work for a Thai company on the DTV.  Your work-permit would be invalidated.

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

Employment with a Thai company is not lIsted as one ot the qualifying criteria for the DTV.

I am well aware, I was just responding to the guy who asked me to clarify on my current visa status. Obviously I would not work with that Thai company anymore on DTV

3 minutes ago, thanaka said:

I am well aware, I was just responding to the guy who asked me to clarify on my current visa status. Obviously I would not work with that Thai company anymore on DTV

Thank you for this clarification.