New Baht 20 Taxi Surcharge From Hualumphong Station

Trevor

Today, 1st August 2007, I arrived by train at Bangkok's Hualumphong railway station and took a short ride to my hotel in a regular metered taxi. The driver was a little slow to start the meter until I prompted him, although that is not unique. But on arrival he politely requested in Thai that I reimburse him his B20 entry fee into the railway station concourse. I was very tired at 6 am and couldn't be bothered to argue. He said it was a new fee, and I reasoned it must be like the airport where one pays a B50 fee (although not me -- I always go up to the 4th floor arrivals and avoid it). Anyone else paid this charge from Hualumphong, or was I scammed?

20 baht doesnt really warrant an answer either way does it?

if its a scam , well 20 baht wont break the bank will it ? and good luck to him for "dreaming" it up .

If not , see above .

Most of us don't like being ripped off, no matter how good the thief's imagination. :o

if its a scam , well 20 baht wont break the bank will it ? and good luck to him for "dreaming" it up .

If not , see above .

Well I certainly hope I don't bump into you during my travels in Thailand. You sound like the sort of misanthrope who would inform immigration if a fellow Westerner casually mentioned he was overstaying his visa.

As yet noone else has actually confirmed or denied requests for such a fee from Hualumphong. One taxi driver subsequently told me he was not aware of such a surcharge, but did confirm that drivers had to pay 10 Baht on entering Morchit bus station, the cost of which they had to bear themselves. And expressway fees are always payable by the passenger; some newbies may not be aware of that.

At least I am better prepared for such requests in future, and will ask to see a driver's receipt for the entry fee to any transportation terminal. Otherwise it's just petty thievery; taxi drivers make a reasonable living by Thai standards and it besmirches a service of which Bangkok should be justifiably proud.

; taxi drivers make a reasonable living by Thai standards and it besmirches a service of which Bangkok should be justifiably proud.

as the self-appointed arbiter of what is a good living by Thai standards, how do you react to the assertion that while fuel prices and the cost of living have steadily risen i have not seen an increase in taxi rates in the 11 years i have lived in Bangkok.

they must have been living like kings back then.

As backflip said, how can it be a scam when the driver asked for the 'surcharge' and the OP gave it? <deleted>, it aint that hard to say no.

And, really, 20baht? Does that really warrant taking the time to worry about it? It's a tip.

How embarassing.

Today, 1st August 2007, You Said That "I reasoned it must be like the airport where one pays a B50 fee (although not me -- I always go up to the 4th floor arrivals and avoid it). Anyone else paid this charge from Hualumphong, or was I scammed?

I use the local train every day from Hua Take to Hua Lampong and have come to know State Railway Thailand(SRT) operations a bit. The new BTS line from Paya Thai to the airport has caused SRT extra cost and it would not surprise me if SRT was charging for Taxi access :D .

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/17...ss_30034393.php

BUT! easy enough to find out, just call SRT and ask them they have a full time English speaking staff. :D

State Railway of Thailand

1 Rongmuang Road, Rongmuang, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel : 0-2222-0175, 0-2621-8701, 0-2220-4567

E-mail : [email protected]

ALL NEW!

http://www.railway.co.th/English/pro31_hopewell.asp

Call SRT ??

50 - 20 = 30 :o

They went from using expensive gas to NGV and LPG. Their fuel bills are a pittance now

all of them? and the change from gasoline to gas didn't cost any money? give me a break mate!

:o

The taxi companies made the conversion. Independent operators no doubt took over their own cost, but my mate had his car converted a few months ago. He said the price wasn't that bad actually.

As to percentage of taxis using it, try getting into one that is not on some alternate fuel these days.

Dr B

Today, 1st August 2007, You Said That "I reasoned it must be like the airport where one pays a B50 fee (although not me -- I always go up to the 4th floor arrivals and avoid it). Anyone else paid this charge from Hualumphong, or was I scammed?

I use the local train every day from Hua Take to Hua Lampong and have come to know State Railway Thailand(SRT) operations a bit. The new BTS line from Paya Thai to the airport has caused SRT extra cost and it would not surprise me if SRT was charging for Taxi access :D .

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/17...ss_30034393.php

BUT! easy enough to find out, just call SRT and ask them they have a full time English speaking staff. :D State Railway of Thailand

1 Rongmuang Road, Rongmuang, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel : 0-2222-0175, 0-2621-8701, 0-2220-4567

E-mail : [email protected]

ALL NEW!

http://www.railway.co.th/English/pro31_hopewell.asp

Call SRT ??

50 - 20 = 30 :o

Look at it this way: suppose there really was a new B20 taxi fee at Hualumphong, and I refused to pay it. Ten angry Thais would soon jump out of the woodwork in support of Mr Taxidriver to beat up on the hapless farang. Bleary-eyed after a rattle-shake overnighter from Ubon, I was content to give him the benefit of the doubt, and to clarify matters later with Thaivisa members.

The notion of charging taxis for access to a port or station is anathema to a Westerner. Do London, KL or Singapore hassle travellers in this way? I don't think so.

The notion of charging taxis for access to a port or station is anathema to a Westerner

that's not correct, e.g. taxidrivers at various airports (worldwide) i know have to pay some fees to the airport authorities.

Well I certainly hope I don't bump into you during my travels in Thailand. You sound like the sort of misanthrope who would inform immigration if a fellow Westerner casually mentioned he was overstaying his visa.

That I take offence to m8. For what reason do you come to that sad and misguided conclusion?

My responce indicated that it was 20 Baht and wasn't worth concern. However if you feel so strongly about a man asking for such a large sum , scam or not,

I suggest next time you take the bus!

If not , see above .

Maybe I am PMSing tonight, but I really get tired of people talking like they have money to burn, and why doesn't everybody think like them. This is Thailand any we should be thinking in terms of Thai economy. Many foreigners here are not rich and earn fortunes overseas. We are here making local wages and just because of our skin color doesn't change how we should be treated.

as the self-appointed arbiter of what is a good living by Thai standards, how do you react to the assertion that while fuel prices and the cost of living have steadily risen i have not seen an increase in taxi rates in the 11 years i have lived in Bangkok.

Whenever, I need to carry a few boxes somewhere they won't let me get in the cab unless I pay another 500 baht, or so for then - which is illegal - but I can stick 5 people in for the normal price.

Let the little creeps eat cake! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

If not , see above .

Maybe I am PMSing tonight, but I really get tired of people talking like they have money to burn, and why doesn't everybody think like them. This is Thailand any we should be thinking in terms of Thai economy. Many foreigners here are not rich and earn fortunes overseas. We are here making local wages and just because of our skin color doesn't change how we should be treated.

Hear, hear! The Thai Visa forum should be one of mutual support for visitors to the kingdom, where the odds are often stacked against us, and we have few (if any) rights. The Thais are past masters at inventing 'excess charges', and certainly don't need any more encouragement!

If not , see above .

Hear, hear! The Thai Visa forum should be one of mutual support for visitors to the kingdom, where the odds are often stacked against us, and we have few (if any) rights. The Thais are past masters at inventing 'excess charges', and certainly don't need any more encouragement!

It would appear my opinion is not that of the majority ! :D

So may I gracefully bow down in humblence and I will remember to refuse to pay the 20 Baht should I ever require a taxi from the above location.

:o

Dont think this is very new, the 20 Bt surcharge also applies at Mochit and SaiThai busstations since at least 3 yrs or so.

and there is a VERY simply way to avoid it, like also about any Thai does (never seen that only farang stay on the train till the far end??). get off at SAM SEN station, where there will be rows of taxis waiting, its any easy 'just cross the platform'' and No walk all the way along the train, and off you go, Entry to motorway just right by and most likely to many BKK adresses even lower fare to pay. (does not apply for trains ex ChaChoengSao=eastern line, they can get off at PayaThai and walk into skytrain