Address for marriage visa extension

Hi. 

I have a 90 day non immigrant O visa to visit family and plan to travel to Thailand in a couple of months and then eventually go through the process of extending it to the 1 year marriage based visa. 

When I provide proof of residence do we both have to be registered as living at the same address? As we will live at her family’s place so they are the owners and she doesn’t think she is registered there, her Thai ID has a different address. I know I need a tm30 completing which her parents will do as the property owner?

Thanks. 

Her thai house book can show anywhere, it's not uncommon for thaiz to be registered at other places and there is no requirement she have a house book listing where you actually live 

You are correct you WILL need to have a TM30 (notification of foreigner in residence) filed at the immigration office where you stay showing you are registered as staying there. 

Make sure you go to the immigration office where you're going to get the year extension and get the hand out listing the requirements so you can get the documents, bank letter, photos, map etc together before you go apply for the year extension successfully  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OP, as pointed out in first reply.. your Thai wife can live anywhere not necessarily her Thai house book.

The parents need to make a TM30.

For the 12 month extension you require the funds in bank for 2 months seasoning. 

Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a Marriage Visa. I've had one for most of my 40 years here. My wife and I live in her house. She has a blue house registration book showing she lives there. My name isn't in the blue book so I'm not registered there as such. I use this address and the blue book when I renew my visa. The addresses have to be the same. Immigration then sends 2 officers to check that we live at that address after our visit to Immigration, and a neighbour states in writing that we both live there. They even photograph us in front of an open wardrobe in our bedroom showing that we have clothes in it and live at the address.

In your situation, you will need to give the parents' address as where you are living. Her parents should go to the Ampheur office and add your wife's name to their blue book, then you'll be all right. Use her parents' blue book at Immigration. If your wife's name isn't in the blue book, you'll have a problem. Make sure that you have a bedroom with a wardrobe that contains your wife's and your clothes.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

In your situation, you will need to give the parents' address as where you are living. Her parents should go to the Ampheur office and add your wife's name to their blue book, then you'll be all right

Thinking Not. No need to have wife's name in parents blue book. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Dickvandamme said:

Hi. 

I have a 90 day non immigrant O visa to visit family and plan to travel to Thailand in a couple of months and then eventually go through the process of extending it to the 1 year marriage based visa. 

When I provide proof of residence do we both have to be registered as living at the same address? As we will live at her family’s place so they are the owners and she doesn’t think she is registered there, her Thai ID has a different address. I know I need a tm30 completing which her parents will do as the property owner?

Thanks. 

you cannot extend a visa.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, chipperPDU said:

Correct. However there is no confusion as it's clear the OP means extension to his current permission of stay. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct. However there is no confusion as it's clear the OP means extension to his current permission of stay. 

Why can't they use the correct terminology? Lazy? Why do moderators don't correct them? Posts like this teaches everybody being wrong is good !!

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, chipperPDU said:

Why can't they use the correct terminology? Lazy? Why do moderators don't correct them? Posts like this teaches everybody being wrong is good !!

Really....?............🙄

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

You cannot teach an old dog new tricks. Look at @renaissanc above thinks he's been renewing his marriage visa for 40 years 🙂

At Pathum Thani Imm...ALL  Imm officers refer to the (marriage) extension as "the or your VISA".

After over a dozen of them, I've never heard them call or refer to it as an "extension "

When I  call up near the 30 day "under consideration " period, they (she) always says "yes Sir your VISA is approved " !

So it is confusing !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dickvandamme said:

It is up to the IO in your office whether they will be a PITA about this or not.  Other posters stated correct information - how it "usually works" here or there.  In my experience, they may even want a signed-copy of the chanote of the house.  Others will (correctly) report they were never asked for this.

I would suggest you go well before your current extension ends - 30 days before - and do a "trial run" with everything you think you will need.  Even before that, you can go to the Immigration office and ask if they have a list of what you will need, which may clarify.  Do not be surprised if that list is not everything they ask for - but still a good starting-point.

49 minutes ago, chipperPDU said:

You are wrong to respond in such a manner.

The poster plans to extend his visa status which will be based on the visa used to enter the country.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, chipperPDU said:

It is always a matter of opinion whether concept of implication is wrong or not, but certainly not up to anyone on this forum, moderator or otherwise, to pass judgement.

On the basis that the majority of visas become "used" on entry with people being granted visa status, it is perfectly acceptable in the English language for the word "status" to become implied.

Non native speakers may find it unacceptable but you are not going to teach old English dogs new tricks. When someone makes a post, wouldn't it be better to try and understand the context or ask for clarification, than to start picking holes in what has been said.

The terminology brigade on this forum was wiped out some years ago and the last thing we need is a resurrection.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

In my 34 years of living here I have never had to show a wardrobe or and kind of closet with both my wife's and my clothes in it.  In fact, we have never shared a closet space of any kind simply because there is no room for both her clothes and mine.  Another fact is that there are many married couples who have separate bedrooms for a variety of reasons.  

8 hours ago, CM Dad said:

In my 34 years of living here I have never had to show a wardrobe or and kind of closet with both my wife's and my clothes in it.  In fact, we have never shared a closet space of any kind simply because there is no room for both her clothes and mine.  Another fact is that there are many married couples who have separate bedrooms for a variety of reasons.  

You were married long before the "crackdowns" started, which perhaps influenced how they treated you - or maybe your office was simply better / more respectful than some others. 

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, as pointed out in first reply.. your Thai wife can live anywhere not necessarily her Thai house book.

The parents need to make a TM30.

For the 12 month extension you require the funds in bank for 2 months seasoning. 

Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only.

Being a plan to extend on the basis of marriage can't it not be a joint bank account? Or only after the initial permission of the extension of stay based on marriage that would be allowed?

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

Being a plan to extend on the basis of marriage can't it not be a joint bank account? Or only after the initial permission of the extension of stay based on marriage that would be allowed?

I thought it was possible at some immigration offices with double the amount however best to follow ubonjoe advice in attached thread.

You could check with you immigration office however thinking it's a no.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1192029-extension-of-visa-using-a-joint-bank-account/?do=findComment&comment=15998760

Thanks for the comments and advice. I may have called the marriage visa an extension in error. 

My wife will get her blue book and use that. I will open the bank account when there. 

So to have proof of residence for a bank account and marriage visa, in addition to my wife’s blue book, I need a certificate of residence, and I get that from the immigration office after having completed a tm30 form and shown my wife’s blue book? I don’t need a yellow book?

Sorry if these are obvious questions but there’s a lot of different info online.

You cannot appear in a blue-book w/o Permanent-Residence status.  You could get into a yellow book at her address, but this can be difficult and possibly take months (varies by province).   Immigration don't care if you are in a yellow-book. 

Hopefully, your immigration office will allow you to get a residency-certificate with only a TM30 - without having completed a 90-Day report.  If not, you would need one from your embassy - and some embassies refuse to provide them.   This is a "chicken and egg" problem some of encountered.  But as you will be entering on a Non-O Visa, the bank may allow you to open an account without a residence-certificate. 

You can have your wife call the bank and ask what they require.  She needs to tell them you will be entering the country on a Non-Immigrant Visa - not a "tourist" visa - issued by reason of marriage to her - and you need the account to place funds for your 1-year extension, so you can "live in Thailand" (they worry about opening accounts which are abandoned).  If she has an account at that bank, this may help.  Try multiple banks, if necessary.  In some areas, agents can also assist with this - often involving purchase of bank-issued "accident insurance."

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Dickvandamme said:

I need a certificate of residence, and I get that from the immigration office after having completed a tm30 form and shown my wife’s blue book? I don’t need a yellow book?

The "wife's blue book and yellow book" not required.

Re bank account... which immigration office? 

You are entering with non O and you may be able to open a bank account.

Suggest you try Kasikorn.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:47 PM, DrJack54 said:

Thinking Not. No need to have wife's name in parents blue book. 

Several years ago my daughter had to add her name to the blue book to help me out with my visa renewal as she is Thai. She also had to write a letter giving me permission to stay at the house.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Several years ago my daughter had to add her name to the blue book to help me out with my visa renewal as she is Thai. She also had to write a letter giving me permission to stay at the house.

Earlier in the thread you stated....

"I have a Marriage Visa. I've had one for most of my 40 years here"

Assuming you are living in Thailand on extensions from a non O based on marriage. 

Your daughter does  not need to "help you out with visa renewal as she is Thai" 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2024 at 8:17 PM, orchidfan said:

At Pathum Thani Imm...ALL  Imm officers refer to the (marriage) extension as "the or your VISA".

After over a dozen of them, I've never heard them call or refer to it as an "extension "

When I  call up near the 30 day "under consideration " period, they (she) always says "yes Sir your VISA is approved " !

So it is confusing !

They don't have English as a first language, so they get a pass.

English speakers on the forum should use correct terminology to prevent confusion.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They don't have English as a first language, so they get a pass.

English speakers on the forum should use correct terminology to prevent confusion.

You mean like "Fish and Potato Chips" instead of "Fish and Chips".

Nothing to do with terminology, it is a lack of context appreciation that gets some confused.

Context has never been a strong point on this forum, sometimes deliberately distorted by some.