Mysterious Green 22... ? Any Ideas?

Pawpcorn

Well, this is so strange,

Last night when my 34yo Thai boyfriend got undressed to kick back and relax, I noticed something odd, on his ribcage, on his side almost under his armpit, a couple inches lower than his nipple... A number "22" was written on his ribcage, at an angle, about 3/4" high, in green ink!

I was like... "What is that???", thinking... here comes a "story" or whatever, but this should be interesting...

and to my surprise, my b.f. (solid, for 9 1/2 months) seemed as completely surprised as me, unable to offer ANY explanation, much less IDEA even for how or why he was sporting a green 22 on his ribcage.

Now I'm TRYING not to "think too much" about this, TRYING not to fall into the numerous farang mental traps we have been trying to escape by adapting new lifestyle ideas of Thai life... but it's a little difficult.

I could go on to write about my perceived faithfulness or trust I have felt about my b.f.'s behaviour, or his honest morals... but I always ~choke~ when I read others write about THAT... so I won't belabor that aspect of this strange occurance.

I really don't want this to become an "issue".

I will say he didn't ACT suspicious, nervous, or guilty, and he seemed to be his usual self (great) in bed...

This morning I started to puzzle over the damnn thing again, and asked him again about it... and, of course the clear implication to us both is that he was in SOME strange or intimate physical situation with someone yesterday... but he clearly resented being asked about it again, and again offered no ideas of any kind as to it's orgin.

I DON'T WANT SOMETHING STUPID LIKE ALLOW THIS TO DRIVE A WEDGE BETWEEN US, and I wonder if there is some Thai cultural custom, or activity, or "something" that is peculiar to Thailand, that I may be unaware of, as a simple explanation???

I really want to stop thinking about this.

But it sure leaves me puzzled. AND it sure reminds me that we, as farangs, are foreigners on THAI turf, and lest we ever start to forget it... they run the show here... it's always their ballgame, in every way.

Anybody have any ideas as to the mysterious green "22" on my boyfriend's ribcage? It was washed off this morning.

Thanks, guys, for our support group we have here.

Pawpcorn

Maybe some kind of ink transfer from a new shirt, or a forgotten price tag?

Hmmmm interesting idea; when I first saw the number, it was so clear that it looked written on him directly, so even though I thought of that, I didn't bother checking... but, hey, good idea! We'll look at the shirt he was wearing tonight... gads.... this feels like stupid sh*t, but isn't that often our downfall?

Thanks!

Hmmmm interesting idea; when I first saw the number, it was so clear that it looked written on him directly, so even though I thought of that, I didn't bother checking... but, hey, good idea! We'll look at the shirt he was wearing tonight... gads.... this feels like stupid sh*t, but isn't that often our downfall?

Thanks!

I remember from my "John Bull" printing set from many years ago that the printing letters are reverse images to print the right-way-round. So if the '22' numbers are the right-way-round they cannot have come from the face of a tag, but print-through a tag or other T-shirt I suppose might still be possible.

Thanks!

I remember from my "John Bull" printing set from many years ago that the printing letters are reverse images to print the right-way-round. So if the '22' numbers are the right-way-round they cannot have come from the face of a tag, but print-through a tag or other T-shirt I suppose might still be possible.

Yeah, I thought of that reversal issue too... When I got home last night, he had already done the wash, so I wasn't able to see the shirt; although I briefly mentioned the idea to him as he saw me look at the near-empty laundry basket, he was disinclined to say anything... and I let the issue drop.

It's a dead issue, at this point... heck, it's a trust issue anyway, and I think I'm going to forget about it (successfully) now, and just file it away with the other "unsolved mysteries" of my lifetime.

Part of surviving as a farang here is learning not to "think too much" and this is a good time to practice that behavior.

Pawpcorn

Thanks!

Yeah, I thought of that reversal issue too... When I got home last night, he had already done the wash, so I wasn't able to see the shirt; although I briefly mentioned the idea to him as he saw me look at the near-empty laundry basket, he was disinclined to say anything... and I let the issue drop.

It's a dead issue, at this point... heck, it's a trust issue anyway, and I think I'm going to forget about it (successfully) now, and just file it away with the other "unsolved mysteries" of my lifetime.

Part of surviving as a farang here is learning not to "think too much" and this is a good time to practice that behavior.

Pawpcorn

I knew it was only a matter of time before Alien Abduction came to LOS

Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Halarious, wonderful point / aspect of view... humor has GOT to be one of the most wonderful / beautiful aspects of the HUMAN existance... without which... we would be lost.

BTW... I see "LOS" used and referred to here frequently, and was thinking, maybe, that meant LAOS, but since it clearly doesn't fit the context here... could you or someone please enlighten this farang? What the heck does "LOS" mean???

Thanks!

Probably a good plan.

However, If the number was 666... I'd be concerned!

My Thai b/f is sitting here, wondering WHY I sit here chuckling for a solid minute after reading your post. Halarious. lol

Hmmmm just thought of a strange coincidence... On Monday of this week, on rare holiday, Karom and I went to Ayuthaya by train on a day of sight-seeing... At the Wat that we visited, we each shook the metal can that contains those long sticks, where you shake ONE stick out, then pick up the same-numbered "fortune" sheet a minute later to see what's in store for you...

I shook out... NUMBER 2 !

Life is so strange, sometimes.

Pawpcorn

post-41497-1186119067_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of the numbers that the guys and girls working in some bars have attached to them? Like a sticky label with a number written in felt pen? I dont know if you thought about that already? but on a positive note whatever it is good luck!

:o KD

Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Seriously, I'll add to this weirdness. Do any of you remember the freako futuristic movie Soylent Green? It took place in A.D. 2022, and the only food was that green food that was recycled people.

Soylent Green

Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Halarious, wonderful point / aspect of view... humor has GOT to be one of the most wonderful / beautiful aspects of the HUMAN existance... without which... we would be lost.

BTW... I see "LOS" used and referred to here frequently, and was thinking, maybe, that meant LAOS, but since it clearly doesn't fit the context here... could you or someone please enlighten this farang? What the heck does "LOS" mean???

Thanks!

Land Of Smiles

Well, Pawpcorn, your b/f might be a New York Jets fan in the USA's National Football League. And his favorite player might be Justin Miller, a third-year pro from Clemson University, who wears uniform number 22 for the Jets, whose colors are green and white. So he might have stenciled Justin's number on his body as a show of support. Hey, I'd buy it if my partner gave me that story. :o

I am usually on the side of trying to explain things away, but things don't just get written on that part of your body without your shirt being off and without you knowing it. Having said that... it seems like this isn't the first time you've had reason not to trust him and don't feel you can do anything about it anyway. It's pretty clear you aren't the type to take a huge stand without actually catching him in the act, so I think your current strategy is best... don't worry about it. I don't know that would be my strategy, but we each have to do what works best for us. Good luck to ya.

Edited by Rionoir

I am usually on the side of trying to explain things away, but things don't just get written on that part of your body without your shirt being off and without you knowing it. Having said that... it seems like this isn't the first time you've had reason not to trust him and don't feel you can do anything about it anyway. It's pretty clear you aren't the type to take a huge stand without actually catching him in the act, so I think your current strategy is best... don't worry about it. I don't know that would be my strategy, but we each have to do what works best for us. Good luck to ya.

I tend to agree.

There is no way he does not know how he got a 22 written on his ribcage under his armpit.

I do not think it is the kind that is used in the gogo bars.

On the other hand if it was written while doing something unfaithful, why wouldn't he made sure to get rid of it before coming back home ?

I would give him the benefit of the doubt

Good luck

Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Thanks!

Land Of Smiles

Oh. Then not Lots O Sex?

Reckon it was his display number from one of those show bars where they herd around the call boys like cattle... they should give the sexpat clientele some cow bells to ring for services, that would be sanook maak.

Well, you know, strange thing was.. that idea of a display number was actually my first thought, and I in fact mentioned that idea to him at that same moment, which was brushed off, of course... seeing those numbers for the first time, when I arrived for the first time in Thailand a little over a year ago... seeing those beautiful Thai bois on display, left an indelible imprint on my mind, in the strange and bizzare column... pretty much the same mental space as that bizzare 22... to be sure. We ARE the foreigners here, in this LOS.

Edited by Pawpcorn

We ARE the foreigners here, in this LOS.

I've seen that a couple times in this thread now... I don't think just because you aren't native that you should expect less from a relationship, if you indeed are committed to each other. I understand if you are hesitant to be alone or whatever... but don't be afraid to stand up for what you want in a relationship. (Are you both the same age-ish?)

I tend to agree.

There is no way he does not know how he got a 22 written on his ribcage under his armpit.

I do not think it is the kind that is used in the gogo bars.

On the other hand if it was written while doing something unfaithful, why wouldn't he made sure to get rid of it before coming back home ?

I would give him the benefit of the doubt

Good luck

I agree with the logical analysis, also, and have written off the incident as unimportant, and I do, in fact, give him the benefit of the doubt, although it was... curious, eh?

Regarding the issues of "trust", I learned a lot during the time with my first 3 Thai boyfriends here... My current is my fourth, and a sincere long term, by all indications... But the experience with the first 3 left me with the lasting feeling (or understanding?) that no Thai "boy" can ever really be "trusted" in the way we used to use the word and idea in our old farang country. Thus... I find now, that I can never really "trust" a Thai boy. I am always on the "cautious" and "wary", and thus, I'm never really disappointed or surprised, much less shocked by anything that I hear or find out.

I think it's best stated, that we are, in fact, like "stepping stones" to the Thai. But (in my humble opinion) this is not a "bad" thing; it's more a reality of how Thais are, in their "lover" relationships, and same - same with Thai - Thai! AND, if we can think about (while shedding our old worthless, failed and pointless farang beliefs and value systems), it's just a part of the more "practical" approach Thais have to life and relationships in general. In reality... it makes a lot more sense.

Thus... it's OK(!) for us (as farangs) to have an equal and same approach to all of the same situations, relationships, and people in general.

Besides, being a "stepping stone" ain't all that bad, and our boyfriend can be our "stepping stone" too, with none of the negative overtones... with mutual adjustments and mental / spiritual growth... we can continue to be mutual "stepping stones" for each other, with warmth, love, growth, compassion, and caring... as long as it works... for both parties. I think of it as my challenge to grow... and present new, changed, fresh and unique "stepping stones" for my partner, as we grow through our life together.

Not a bad way to live(!); fun, practical, challenging, and honest, and (it feels to me) keeping in touch with the true balance of nature.

Pawpcorn

I've seen that a couple times in this thread now... I don't think just because you aren't native that you should expect less from a relationship, if you indeed are committed to each other. I understand if you are hesitant to be alone or whatever... but don't be afraid to stand up for what you want in a relationship. (Are you both the same age-ish?)

I'm 57 and he's 34.

I'm 57 and he's 34.

O... :o

Ok I'm not implying anything directly to you here tust me, but I was thinking about this last night so just thought I'd ask since it came up... are there any older gay Thais? Like if I am there a long time, and when I'm 55 say I find myself single... isn't there anywhere to go to meet guys my age at that point? I understand wanting a young bf if you can get one... but clearly they are going to be based on more than love and faithfulness... so say an older farang wants a mutual loving relationship that doesn't involve his money... can they find that in Thailand too?

I'm 30 and so is my Thai bf, so I am having a hard time relating to some of the things I am reading in this forum... but even at my age I have stopped dating guys too much younger than me because unless you are going to be in a rent-a-boyfriend sitution, there are almost too many differences in that kind of age gap for MOST relationships to thrive. ???

Edited by Rionoir

I'm 57 and he's 34.

O... :o

Ok I'm not implying anything directly to you here tust me, but I was thinking about this last night so just thought I'd ask since it came up... are there any older gay Thais? Like if I am there a long time, and when I'm 55 say I find myself single... isn't there anywhere to go to meet guys my age at that point? I understand wanting a young bf if you can get one... but clearly they are going to be based on more than love and faithfulness... so say an older farang wants a mutual loving relationship that doesn't involve his money... can they find that in Thailand too?

I'm 30 and so is my Thai bf, so I am having a hard time relating to some of the things I am reading in this forum... but even at my age I have stopped dating guys too much younger than me because unless you are going to be in a rent-a-boyfriend sitution, there are almost too many differences in that kind of age gap for MOST relationships to thrive. ???

I thought so too but I am 52 and my 'new' bf is turning 21 (we have been steady for less than 1 year) . I never thought I would find 'real' love at my age in fact i was so cautious it took so long for me to admit it.

So far so good, no drinking, smoking, expensive parties, dead buffalos, etc.

It does happen and is not restricted to farangland.

Not all young Thais are moneyboys.

Of course with his salary averaging 10.000 baht and his 9 hours/6 days week shifts, I cannot expect him to treat me to a meal at the Conrad

Hmmm....22....I was just looking at my ruler. Not bad, just need to find out whose keeping track!

Actually, I think I would let it pass. If he started stammering and stuttering and offering a lot of excuses then I'd be concerned, but he didn't, so it's either rather innocent or he's a really good con.

I agree that you should be sensitive to cultural differences but that doesn't mean you've entered the Twilight Zone.

My friend and I have been together over five years. There's not much that either of us does that surprises the other anymore, but neither of us is afraid to ask questions if something does puzzle us.

You can try to reduce the sense of foreign-ness by learning about things you don't understand rather than constantly dismissing them as being too exotic & mysterious to comprehend. On the other hand, in any relationship there are bound to be some personality quirks that you learn to live with or allow to drive yourselves apart.

Only you know the nature of your relationship, but this doesn't sound like something I'd lose sleep over.

• 1 month later...
Well, this is so strange,

Last night when my 34yo Thai boyfriend got undressed to kick back and relax, I noticed something odd, on his ribcage, on his side almost under his armpit, a couple inches lower than his nipple... A number "22" was written on his ribcage, at an angle, about 3/4" high, in green ink!

I was like... "What is that???", thinking... here comes a "story" or whatever, but this should be interesting...

and to my surprise, my b.f. (solid, for 9 1/2 months) seemed as completely surprised as me, unable to offer ANY explanation, much less IDEA even for how or why he was sporting a green 22 on his ribcage.

Now I'm TRYING not to "think too much" about this, TRYING not to fall into the numerous farang mental traps we have been trying to escape by adapting new lifestyle ideas of Thai life... but it's a little difficult.

I could go on to write about my perceived faithfulness or trust I have felt about my b.f.'s behaviour, or his honest morals... but I always ~choke~ when I read others write about THAT... so I won't belabor that aspect of this strange occurance.

I really don't want this to become an "issue".

I will say he didn't ACT suspicious, nervous, or guilty, and he seemed to be his usual self (great) in bed...

This morning I started to puzzle over the damnn thing again, and asked him again about it... and, of course the clear implication to us both is that he was in SOME strange or intimate physical situation with someone yesterday... but he clearly resented being asked about it again, and again offered no ideas of any kind as to it's orgin.

I DON'T WANT SOMETHING STUPID LIKE ALLOW THIS TO DRIVE A WEDGE BETWEEN US, and I wonder if there is some Thai cultural custom, or activity, or "something" that is peculiar to Thailand, that I may be unaware of, as a simple explanation???

I really want to stop thinking about this.

But it sure leaves me puzzled. AND it sure reminds me that we, as farangs, are foreigners on THAI turf, and lest we ever start to forget it... they run the show here... it's always their ballgame, in every way.

Anybody have any ideas as to the mysterious green "22" on my boyfriend's ribcage? It was washed off this morning.

Thanks, guys, for our support group we have here.

Pawpcorn

Entry/contestant number in a beauty pageant maybe ?

At 3/4" high, the number certainly isn't going to be anything to do with identifying performers on a stage etc..........

Something is saying "medical exam" to me - though at 34, it's not likely to be for the armed forces etc. Up to you, but I would still be wondering how it could have got there without him knowing. Still - I gave up a while ago trying to fathom what Thai's will own up to and what they won't......... or why. As others have said - good luck. BTW, I really like your "mutual stepping stone" way of looking at things - very practical and nothing like as cynical/clinical as some might think.

Pawpcorn: Did you ever find out the answer to this riddle ?

Peter

Hi, Peter, sorry I didn't respond earlier; even tho I'm emailed notices of any of these posts to TV, I missed yours, somehow...

To answer your question... no, I never DID find out WHERE the mysterious green 22 came from...

and just to close the book (in a manner of speaking) on this issue... I just now asked him now, this very minute ago, one last and final time, in a very light and no-pressure way... "remember the green 22 here...??? Did you ever figure it out?

And responding to his "No..." I asked, "Any ideas?", and he said "No!" (as he pantomimed stripping his shirt off, and seeing the green 22 with surprise [altho I had actually been the first to notice it!]) saying "Oh my God!! I don't know!! Crazy, eh?"

To which I had to smile, and agree, as he embraced me and pinched me... mai ko jai,,, mai pen rai, it's Amazing Thailand, LOS.

We just celebrated our 11th month together last night, and things seem to be good between us... the only issue lately has been a couple cases of staying out all night, gambling with his employer and his brother, cousin and coworker/friend... after loosing 800 baht in two days (more than two days pay for him (he's a pappaya salad chef at a local sidewalk restaurant, makes 350/day) and promising me he was STOPPING...

He suggested the third night, after we had made love... "sleep one...???" leading up to asking about going out AGAIN to gamble all night!!! I got pretty pissed, at this point, recalling his apparently worthless promise of the previous night, and the foolish act of gambling away MORE than he earns...

AND THEN, recalling that I am NOT his boss, his owner, but an equal, a lover, with my own set of strengths and flaws, I stopped, and just told him to GO! GO NOW! OK!! Bye bye bi dai!

He freaked a bit at this, and we both resigned ourselves to pretty much stopping the arguement and going to sleep.

The next morning, he replayed the incident verbatum, as he is so adapt at doing, and we talked it out a bit... and he ended up making a bit of a humorous play-act out of my Bye bye bi dai!... and this is now a running joke of his, of ours, which he recalls... with... "Sleep one...???" to which we both chuckle, recalling the drama...

Not to say that he won't want to gamble again, and I don't much like sleeping alone, but don't much mind it if he plays on his day off, while I'm working. I know it's great socializing and fun for him, and he doesn't really lose that much, and sometimes wins, when he's just playing the daytime game (which is a different card game, in fact) with his other friends, so not a problem, really!

But the games with his Boss and brother and cousin are another issue; I think he doesn't have a good stratagy in playing the particular game that THEY play, and he seems to consistantly lose... AND their seemingly addiction to gambling doesn't look too good to me. As a point of fact, on the third day, (when they had coaxed my b/f into join them again...) they ended up playing from midnight until 9am the following morning, then calling my b/f saying that they weren't going to open the restaurant today.

After he hung up the phone, and told me "today holiday" I asked him "Why?" as is my inquiring nature... and he said "No why!!!" as is HIS nature when I'm bugging him with my "why" questions...

I thought about it for a minute, and told him... "I'll tell you why... they stayed up ALL NIGHT gambling, and now are too tired to open the restaurant today!!! So even you NOT being at the game last night, you lost another 350 baht, [indirectly] due to their gambling!"

I think it was a valid point, 1150 baht lost in three days... and I dropped the issue, enough pain gone around for anybody's taste.

I wonder if gambling card games weren't illegal here in Thailand, if there would be as much of an obsession with gambling?

Pawpcorn