Raining Fish

seajae

Last night at 11pm my dogs started to bark like crazy in their area(8mtr x 3mtr, fenced with a roof) so I grabbed a torrch and my snake catcher, when I shone the torch in there I saw two fish(6''/16cm) flopping around on the tled floor. It surprized the hell out of me as I could see no way they could get in there, no neighbor, brick fence at the aide and cyclone wire fences on the other 3 sides, admittedy on the other sid of the brick fence is a small canal and we had been having extremely heavy rain but there is a shade cloth cover from the top of the fence to the roof and it sits outside the fence and was still there,

I picked them up with the snake catcher and dropped them over the fence  hoping they would find their way into the canal, they were solidly built, and even though I have fished most of my life I didnt recognize them, this morning when I got up I did a search on the internet and they appear to be black chin tilapia. It has me totally puzzled, how in the hell did two live fish get in there, I havent had the chance to go for a walk and see if there are any others anywhere on our land but will do shortly.

Can anyone suggest how they got there, I realize I will get some really BS answers but the only thing I can think of is the rain or they jumped from the canal(1.5mtr wall) but they were too big, at our other house we would have small fish on the roads etc after rain but these 2 just dont make sense. Just checked the canal and it is dry so not from there, fish are gone so something must have eaten them.

• 2 weeks later...

Have found out how it happened, yesterday we had an extremely heavy down pour like last week but only for 1 hour not the 3 plus hours like the last one. After it stopped we found 3 snakehed at our front gate, there is a very big dam above our land and it is flooding with the extremely heavy rain  washing fish down the over flow canals that cant handle the amount of water(2 converge not far from our front gate and the drain cant handle the amount of water) so flood out into the dirt road and into our driveway. Last time as it was a lot worse it so must have flooded all the way up the driveway and into the dog enclosure. The canals dries out overnight  so we wouldnt have realized how bad the flooding was the next day, wife has told me to keep any live fish we find after the next flood.

• Thanks 1

We've got a rice field behind us that fills with water, which then runs down in a small gutter a hundred meters to the road, then beside the road 100 meters to a low spot where it crosses the road and dumps into another rice field.

Rainy season last year, spotted three of those black chin fishies flopping up the soi gutter traveling between the rice fields.

This year honey-bunny found a fish underneath our porch following a heavy downpour.  Fish had crossed the road, entered an outflow pipe from our property, swum up 50 meters against the flow to a drain box, jumped into a higher pipe, swum up that pipe to another drain box, jumped out of that to the ground surface, and followed runoff from the other side of the house to the porch.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

We've got a rice field behind us that fills with water, which then runs down in a small gutter a hundred meters to the road, then beside the road 100 meters to a low spot where it crosses the road and dumps into another rice field.

Rainy season last year, spotted three of those black chin fishies flopping up the soi gutter traveling between the rice fields.

This year honey-bunny found a fish underneath our porch following a heavy downpour.  Fish had crossed the road, entered an outflow pipe from our property, swum up 50 meters against the flow to a drain box, jumped into a higher pipe, swum up that pipe to another drain box, jumped out of that to the ground surface, and followed runoff from the other side of the house to the porch.

yep, very similar to what happens here, this is the first time it has happened in the 3 years since we built so had us stumped for a while but now we are aware of it we will keep an eye out after heavy rain

• Thumbs Up 1