Does TV sci-fi and Sci-Fi Novels Show a glimpse of things to come?

Pouatchee

I love movies and TV series. Particularly the sci-fi genre. With age I have come to see many sci-fi ideas become reality. Here is a list:

-- Cloning... although an old concept it was made mainstream in Brave New World by Alodus Huxley

-- AI ... Terminator is the culmination of how far AI might go, but some are already warning about it

-- Smart Phones, Watches... Dick Tracy

-- State wide surveillance... 1984

-- Artificial Limbs ... 6 Million Dollar Man

-- Sumarines ... Jules Verns  

-- laser guns... Buck Rogers

Sorry for the next one... 'every man, woman and child will be identified by a number... The Apocalypse... 

Please feel free to add any I might have forgotten or dont know of

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HalAndLois said:

Never crossed my mind that the children decanted in Brave New World were clones.  

Decanting is the equivalent of birth in Brave New World. In this society, humans no longer give birth to children. Rather, babies are engineered outside of the womb, cloned, and incubated in bottles. While in the bottle, each cloned embryo is assigned to a caste and conditioned to accept their caste.

i wrote a comparative essay between brave new world and 1984 in uni years back

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thanks 1

Even the Jetsons cartoon had a cellphone. It doesn’t surprise me that with all of the new technology that more and more of these futuristic devices are being developed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, jcmj said:

Even the Jetsons cartoon had a cellphone. It doesn’t surprise me that with all of the new technology that more and more of these futuristic devices are being developed. 

there has been talk of flying cars for a long time...

Drones first then phase 2 i guess

Edited by Pouatchee

Idiocracy.

where a cryogenic experiment that was supposed to only last a year lasts 500 yeats and he wakes up to find the world in shambles run by a TV wrestler named Macho Camacho, and though of average intelligence he is the smartest man in the world. 

With trump running for another term and having a chance good to win  , does the plot of this movie sound familiar?  

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Idiocracy.

where a cryogenic experiment that was supposed to only last a year lasts 500 yeats and he wakes up to find the world in shambles run by a TV wrestler named Macho Camacho, and though of average intelligence he is the smartest man in the world. 

With trump running for another term and having a chance good to win  , does the plot of this movie sound familiar?  

Walt Disney's head is still, I believe, in cryogenic storage waiting for the tech to catch up.

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Walt Disney's head is still, I believe, in cryogenic storage waiting for the tech to catch up.

I hope he brought chips and salsa. 

The way things are going he might have to wait a long long time,

:laugh:

At the level of cryogenic technology now, and certainly when his head was frozen, if indeed it was, the ice crystals that form in the body's cells expand and destroy them. The only thing that might be surviving of him is genetic materials , and for that he could have saved some money by putting some hair samples in a ziplock bag. 

10 hours ago, RayWright said:

If the dolphins suddenly disappear,  then "Panic".

It's the mice we should really be worried about.

• Love It 1

When asked to produce the Ultimate Question, Deep Thought says that it cannot; however, it can help to design an even more powerful computer that can. This new computer will incorporate living beings into the "computational matrix" and will run for ten million years. The computer is revealed as being the planet Earth, with its pan-dimensional creators assuming the form of white lab mice to observe its running. The process is hindered after eight million years by the unexpected arrival on Earth of the Golgafrinchans, and is then ruined completely, five minutes prior to completion, when the Earth is destroyed by the Vogons to supposedly make way for a new hyperspace bypass.

Come on the Vogons, we need you ASAP.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

When asked to produce the Ultimate Question, Deep Thought says that it cannot; however, it can help to design an even more powerful computer that can.

Actually, this is one of the fears of AI scientists...

25 years ago one of my linguistic professors told me scientist were working on bacteria based computers. In 2003 one could actually play chess slowly and sometimes win... living computers... that wowed me then and still does

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2009/jul/24/bacteria-computer#:~:text=As time goes by%2C a,DNA of Escherichia coli bacteria

• Like 1

I do enjoy reading "Hard SciFi", which is SciFi stories based-on rational progression of real science, and not fantasy, which I consider lazy (like Star Wars, which sucks & swallows!)

An example would be " The Martian", where the author consulted with scientists & physicists to create a logical world & science of 2035.

Other examples would be the world of "2001, A Space Odyssey", another would be the movie " Ad Astra", or the excellent TV series "The Expanse".  All based on books.  Joe Haldeman's " The Forever War" is a classic example.

If anyone wants to read a couple of fast & violent "cyberpunk" SciFi novels which has some foundations on unconstrained science and social commentary, go find: "Veteran" and "War in Heaven" by Gavin Smith.  

1 hour ago, Jeff the Chef said:

When asked to produce the Ultimate Question, Deep Thought says that it cannot; however, it can help to design an even more powerful computer that can. This new computer will incorporate living beings into the "computational matrix" and will run for ten million years. The computer is revealed as being the planet Earth, with its pan-dimensional creators assuming the form of white lab mice to observe its running. The process is hindered after eight million years by the unexpected arrival on Earth of the Golgafrinchans, and is then ruined completely, five minutes prior to completion, when the Earth is destroyed by the Vogons to supposedly make way for a new hyperspace bypass.

Come on the Vogons, we need you ASAP.

It's the Grebulons out on the 10th planet, Persephone, AKA Rupert (named after the pet parrot of the Astrologer who found it) that we should be worried about. Their Death Beam could wipe out all instances of Earth across all Dimensions.