LPG Tanker Leak In Khon Kaen

Georgealbert

oh dear '   we are seeing alot of gas leak emergencies in the news lately.   I find it very worrying that any tom, dick or harry connects any shop LPG tank, gas hose and fitting in this place.   

Street stalls,  restaurants, houses and everyone just connects their own hose to these death traps. 

I'm seriously going to convince my thai friends to convert cooking to induction and throw out the horrible gas bottle.  it may take time & persuasion but I'll get there ....   I already placed a gas detector on their wall 1 ft off the floor near the cooker. 

Edited by steven100

The truck driver, along with the roadwork staff, noticed the large amount of gas escaping and fled the scene in panic, without shutting off the valve and so not preventing the gas from leaking.

They were trained well - what a bunch of monkeys :cheesy:

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

The truck driver, along with the roadwork staff, noticed the large amount of gas escaping and fled the scene in panic, without shutting off the valve and so not preventing the gas from leaking.

They were trained well - what a bunch of monkeys :cheesy:

Couldn't agree more, that's the first thing any normal tanker driver should do.

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

LPG is no more dangerous than gasoline 

Clearly you have little knowledge of emergency response.

LPG is transported as a liquid, so hence it is under pressure, so when a leak of LPG occurs it expands about 270 times its volume as a liquid. If you spill gasoline it will just runs over the ground, does not expand.

Yes both are flammable, with the flammable range of LPG being between 1.5% and 9.6% and gasoline is between 1.4% to 7.6%.

Gasoline is lighter than air, so the vapour will rise and disperse. LOG is heavier than air, so sinks and travel great distances before it will disperse in air. It will also flow into any low level opening, such as drains, conduits, basements, etc, so posing a possible additional fire and explosion risks.

The BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion) risk for LPG is far greater, as LPG has a boiling point of -42°C, where as gasoline is 35 °C.

The ERG (emergency response guidebook) recommended evacuation distance for a tanker fire, LPG is 1600m where for gasoline it is half that at 800m.

A few facts, that shows the risk of LPG is greater than gasoline.

• Like 1