Fact-Checking the Political Attacks on Tim Walz: Unpacking the Myths and Misrepresentations

Social Media

image.png.132c4c69038d00c3f82071f56b9fbc9d.png

Since Minnesota Governor Tim Walz emerged as the Democratic nominee for vice president, the Trump campaign and its allies have launched a series of attacks on his record, questioning his leadership during the 2020 protests, his stance on immigration, and even his role in the redesign of Minnesota's state flag. These claims, often steeped in exaggeration and misleading statements, seem aimed at undermining a rejuvenated campaign after President Joe Biden's decision to step aside, paving the way for Vice President Kamala Harris to lead the Democratic ticket. In this article, we will examine the accuracy of these claims and provide a clear picture of Tim Walz's record.

The first claim under scrutiny comes from Senator JD Vance of Ohio, the Republican nominee for vice president, who stated, "Because if we remember the rioting in the summer of 2020, Tim Walz was the guy who let rioters burn down Minneapolis." This assertion is a significant exaggeration. While it is true that Governor Walz faced criticism for the perceived delay in activating the National Guard during the civil unrest in Minneapolis following the murder of George Floyd, the claim that he allowed the city to burn down is a gross distortion of the facts.

George Floyd was tragically murdered on May 25, 2020, and protests erupted the following day. The situation quickly escalated, with instances of vandalism and arson reported across the city. In response, more than 700 state troopers and officers from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources were deployed on May 26 to support local law enforcement, as noted in a 2022 independent assessment by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. However, the deployment of the National Guard was delayed, largely due to communication issues between state and city officials.

On the night of May 27, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey requested that Governor Walz activate the National Guard. Records obtained by local news outlets show that an aide to Mayor Frey texted a colleague, stating that Governor Walz was "hesitating." The Trump campaign has pointed to these records as evidence of Walz's reluctance to act. However, Walz has defended his actions, arguing that Mayor Frey did not fully understand the scope of his request, particularly regarding the number of troops needed and their mission.

The situation was further complicated when the city's police department submitted a written request for 600 guardsmen on the night of May 27. State officials deemed the request insufficiently detailed, leading to further delays as they awaited additional information.

Unbeknownst to city officials, more specifics were required before the request could be approved. It wasn't until the morning of May 28 that Mayor Frey submitted a formal request, prompting Governor Walz to activate the National Guard. By this time, the situation had already deteriorated, with one of the city's police precincts set ablaze. While a police officer testified in 2020 that she had heard "thirdhand" that Governor Walz had instructed them to "give up the precinct," a spokesperson for Walz disputed this characterization.

It is also noteworthy that during a June 2020 phone call with governors, then-President Donald Trump praised Walz's response, stating, "Tim Walz. Again, I was very happy with the last couple of days, Tim. You called up big numbers and the big numbers knocked them out so fast." This acknowledgment from Trump contradicts later claims that Walz was negligent in his response to the unrest.

Another claim comes directly from Donald Trump, who in an interview on Fox News claimed, "I know him a little bit. I helped him during the riots because his house was surrounded by people that were waving an American flag — doesn’t sound like very bad people. He called me and he was very concerned, very, very concerned that it was going to get out of control. They only had one guard, I guess, it was at the mansion or his house in some form. And he called me. And I said what do you want me to do about it? I was in the White House.

He said if you would put out the word that I’m a good person. And I did. I put out the word." This statement is misleading and filled with inaccuracies. Trump's account conflates events and distorts the timeline. On April 17, 2020, more than a month before George Floyd's murder, hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside Governor Walz's residence to protest a stay-at-home order that had been imposed to curb the spread of COVID-19. Earlier that day, Trump had taken to social media to call for the "liberation" of Minnesota and other states with lockdown orders. Despite Trump's portrayal, Governor Walz's concern was not about the protesters themselves but rather about the broader implications of the pandemic and the potential for violence that might arise from Trump's incendiary rhetoric.

Governor Walz attempted to contact both Trump and Vice President Mike Pence on the day of the protest to discuss how best to handle the situation and slow the virus's spread. However, his efforts were unsuccessful. Three days later, on April 20, Trump tweeted that he had received a "very nice call" from Walz and that "good things are happening." During a press conference that same day, Walz described a "very good and long conversation" with Trump on April 18, during which they discussed the need for more personal protective equipment and enhanced testing capabilities. In a subsequent interview with Politico in September 2021, Walz clarified that Trump's tweet calling for the "liberation" of Minnesota had "brought armed people to my house" and that Trump never responded when Walz sought clarification on what "liberate Minnesota" meant.

Another prominent attack comes from Stephen Miller, a former Trump administration official, who stated in a Fox News interview, "Tim Walz went on TV to talk about trying to help illegal aliens climb over the border wall. Tim Walz championed government-issued IDs, driver’s licenses for illegal aliens, which results in countless motorists being killed each and every year. Tim Walz championed free health care for illegal aliens, which will bankrupt America." This claim is another example of exaggeration and distortion of Walz's record.

Miller's comments are a significant misrepresentation of Walz's stance on immigration and border security. While it is true that Walz signed legislation allowing unauthorized immigrants to obtain driver's licenses and expanding publicly subsidized health care coverage to include them, Miller's depiction of these actions is misleading. In 2023, Governor Walz signed legislation that extended driver's license eligibility to all state residents, regardless of their immigration status. In a news release, Walz expressed pride in the measure, stating that it would improve road safety.

Regarding health care, Governor Walz did sign a budget deal in May 2023 that allowed unauthorized immigrants to enroll in MinnesotaCare, the state's health program for low-income residents. However, it is important to note that Walz initially proposed expanding eligibility only to undocumented immigrants under 19. Furthermore, MinnesotaCare provides subsidized, but not necessarily free, health insurance. The program is funded by the state, meaning that the expansion would not deplete federal funds or lead to the bankruptcy of the country, as Miller suggested.

Miller's claim that Walz advocated for immigrants to "climb over the border wall" is a gross mischaracterization of Walz's remarks. In a recent CNN interview, Walz emphasized that the United States needs to control its borders but argued that Trump's approach to the issue was ineffective and lacked substance. Walz sarcastically remarked, "I always say, let me know how high it is. If it’s 25 feet, then I’ll invest in the 30-foot ladder factory. That’s not how you stop this." His point was that a border wall alone is insufficient to address the complexities of immigration and that more comprehensive solutions, such as increased border patrols and a legal immigration system, are needed.

Finally, Representative Andy Biggs of Arizona made a baseless claim in an interview on a right-wing streaming platform, stating, "Don’t forget he tried to redesign the Minnesota state flag to look like the Somali national flag. You just can’t get further out there in America." This statement is entirely false.

Minnesota's state flag underwent a redesign that culminated on May 11, 2023, with the adoption of a new design. The redesign process was initiated after criticism that the old flag was offensive to Native Americans and bore too many similarities to other state flags. In response, Minnesota legislators passed a measure in 2023 establishing a commission to oversee the redesign of the state's emblems. Governor Walz signed the legislation into law but had little to do with the actual design process.

The commission, not Governor Walz, selected and modified a design submitted by Andrew Prekker, a graphic designer from Luverne, Minnesota. Prekker's design aimed to create imagery that "represented everyone" in the state and had no connection to Somalia. The new flag features a white eight-pointed star, symbolizing the North Star and the state's diverse cultures, set against a dark blue background representing the night sky and the shape of Minnesota. The left side of the flag is a bright blue field, symbolizing the state's abundant water resources, including its 11,000 lakes and numerous rivers and streams. In contrast, the flag of Somalia features a white five-pointed star on a blue field, bearing no resemblance to Minnesota's new flag.

In conclusion, the attacks on Tim Walz by his political opponents are characterized by exaggeration, distortion, and, in some cases, outright falsehoods. While Walz's handling of the 2020 protests and his policies on immigration and state symbolism are legitimate topics of discussion, the claims made by his detractors often lack accuracy and context. As the 2024 election cycle continues, it is crucial for voters to seek out reliable information and critically evaluate the statements made.

Credit: NYT  2024-08-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Thanks 1