Is China Airlines Business Class Good ?

wileycoyote

^

For a simple illustration of this point: think of flipping a coin. If you flip it and get 5 heads in a row, what is the statistical probability of getting a heads on the next flip? It is exactly 50-50; the same as any other flip.

If you have ever seen the play "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard,your analogy is correct,but psychologically ,you are bound to get worried ,when tail comes up over a 100 times consecutively !

We have booked another airline !

:o Wiley Coyote

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been involved in airline insurance for longer than I care to remember and it is true that if you survive the journey to the airport the most dangerous part of your trip is over.

Are all airlines as safe as each other ? Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So your choice of airline does impact your probability of safe arrival.

The low on fuel issue is very common but often misunderstood,it does not mean your plane is flying on vapour just that it is in the safety reserve range and therefore has a priority landing (not emergency),newspeople like to embellish the story.Genuine out of fuel cases are extremely rare and are not necessarily lethal.

The official language for pilots world wide is English and they are supposed to be fluent in the technical aspect of flying and communicating with air traffic control.

The plane that was lost was relatively new and the fact that the engine exploded is unusual and indicates a manufacturing problem or poor maintenance,without seeing the details I can't say but I can guess.

I have never flown with this airline,my top five from the region are Cathay,Singapore,Malaysian,Thai & EVA.

Fire sparks checks for Qantas, Virgin

By Neil Hickey and AFP

August 28, 2007 10:23am

AUSTRALIA'S two major air carriers, Qantas and Virgin Blue, will carry out safety tests on their fleets of Boeing 737s after fire spectacularly destroyed a Taiwanese plane last week.

The emergency directive has come from the US Federal Aviation Administration after a near disaster when a China Airlines Boeing 737 passenger jet was engulfed by flames while on the tarmac of a Japanese airport.

The two Australian carriers have 24 days to carry out the tests and will report back to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Qantas, Virgin Blue and CASA will all inform the FAA of the results.

The tests will involve 84 Boeing 737s in Australia and almost 4500 around the world.

The inspections will focus on the wing slat assemblies of the aircraft due to suspicions that a bolt on the China Airlines passenger jet came loose and ruptured a fuel tank, starting the fire at Naha airport on the Japanese island of Okinawa.

...<snip>...

"All were really doing is looking into the area to make sure the bit of hardware is not loose or fallen out and therefore rubbing against the fuel tank, Peter Gibson from CASA said.

"Its a pretty basic engineering inspection.

...<snip>....

Besides the China Airlines case, the FAA said it had received reports of a loosened nut inside the housing of the retractable slats on the wing's leading edge puncturing the housing resulting in a fuel leak.

"Loose or missing parts from the main slat track downstop assemblies, if not detected and corrected, could result in a fuel leak and consequent fire," the FAA said in its Emergency Airworthiness Directive.

The directive would affect the most recent post-1995 generation of 737s of the -600, -700, -700C, -800, -900 and -900ER series.

Full story here http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Both Boeing and Airbus (along with Bombardier, Embraer, Sikorsky, Illyusin, etc) are the subject of these directives from time to time. To insinuate that it indicates one or the other is unsafe is rubbish. These are simply precautionary inspections.

Edited by cdnvic

Both Boeing and Airbus (along with Bombardier, Embraer, Sikorsky, Illyusin, etc) are the subject of these directives from time to time. To insinuate that it indicates one or the other is unsafe is rubbish. These are simply precautionary inspections.

Surprised it was you that bit.

China Eastern plane deviates from runway in Vancouver

According to Xinhua, a China Eastern Airlines aircraft deviated from the runway before takeoff at Vancouver Airport on Monday.

The Airbus A340-300 was scheduled to fly from Vancouver to Shanghai at 2:50pm local time when the plane wheeled off the runway and onto the lawn.

The 140 passengers onboard were evacuated safely and given accommodation at local hotels while the plan received a safety check.

According to airport officials, the incident did not affect the other flights at Vancouver Airport.

China Eastern plane deviates from runway in Vancouver

According to Xinhua, a China Eastern Airlines aircraft deviated from the runway before takeoff at Vancouver Airport on Monday.

The Airbus A340-300 was scheduled to fly from Vancouver to Shanghai at 2:50pm local time when the plane wheeled off the runway and onto the lawn.

The 140 passengers onboard were evacuated safely and given accommodation at local hotels while the plan received a safety check.

According to airport officials, the incident did not affect the other flights at Vancouver Airport.

Think that's a different airline, but unfortunately close enough a name that both are going to be having marketing issues.

Time to adjust the feng shui.

Edited by Carmine6

Ok, you mean that specific plane or the model? Confused.

You mean you've flown that model with that airline, I believe, as I now notice the wing insignia is for China Eastern Airlines.

Edited by Jimjim

No, I've flown that specific aircraft several times. It's seen better days. :o

Maybe it helps that Singapore Airlines (Parent: Temasek...) will buy a 25% part of China Eastern on short notice, thus fighting the competition of Cathay Pacific of Hong Kong and Air China/mainland China (NOT China Air from Taiwan).

I flew China Eastern on quite a few occasions; no problems.

ps: strange how a thread changes from a question about business class into planes slipping off the runway... :D

LaoPo

Maybe it helps that Singapore Airlines (Parent: Temasek...) will buy a 25% part of China Eastern on short notice, thus fighting the competition of Cathay Pacific of Hong Kong and Air China/mainland China (NOT China Air from Taiwan).

LaoPo

Clever guys there at Singapore Air/Temasek....: :D

Singapore Air, Temasek Make $660 Million One-Day Gain

Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Singapore Airlines Ltd. and Temasek Holdings Pte. made an instant $660 million profit after buying a 24 percent stake in China Eastern Airlines Corp., widening their access to the world's fastest-growing aviation market.

China Eastern rose 75 percent to a record HK$6.53 on the Hong Kong stock exchange after a three-month trading halt, during which China's benchmark CSI 300 Index gained 40 percent. Singapore Airlines and its parent Temasek agreed to acquire Hong Kong-listed shares of China Eastern at HK$3.80 apiece.

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...r=world_indices

LaoPo

LaoPo

Clever guys there at Singapore Air/Temasek....: :D

Singapore Air, Temasek Make $660 Million One-Day Gain

Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Singapore Airlines Ltd. and Temasek Holdings Pte. made an instant $660 million profit after buying a 24 percent stake in China Eastern Airlines Corp., widening their access to the world's fastest-growing aviation market.

China Eastern rose 75 percent to a record HK$6.53 on the Hong Kong stock exchange after a three-month trading halt, during which China's benchmark CSI 300 Index gained 40 percent. Singapore Airlines and its parent Temasek agreed to acquire Hong Kong-listed shares of China Eastern at HK$3.80 apiece.

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...r=world_indices

LaoPo

A 3 month trading halt is ridiculous. Great for those who owned, but what if it hadn't gone though?

One thing I kept hearing last night in news stories is that Singapore Airlines is the highest market cap airline in the world, or maybe one of. Which tells you what the market thinks of their management.

China Air news; so all is safe now.... :o

China Air Fixes Nuts on Boeing 737-800s; Says Jets Safe to Fly

Sept. 9 (Bloomberg) -- China Airlines, Taiwan's largest air carrier, said it has tightened nuts in its 13-plane fleet of Boeing Co. 737-800s and the planes are safe to fly.

The airline found 100 nuts in its own and subsidiary Mandarin Airlines' 13 Boeing 737-800s were below U.S. Federal Aviation Administration's standard torsion values, Bruce Chen, deputy spokesman of the Taipei-based company, said by telephone today.

``We've solved this problem,'' Chen said. ``There's no safety concern.''

A China Airlines Boeing 737-800 burst into flames at Japan's Naha Airport on Aug. 20. The carrier inspected all its planes of the same model as required by the FAA and Taiwan's Civil Aeronautics Administration.

All 165 people onboard escaped from the burning plane last month. A loose bolt may have made a hole in the aircraft's fuel tank that caused the fire, Agence France-Presse reported Aug. 23, citing investigator Kazushige Daiki.

The FAA ordered airlines to inspect wing slats on some newer Boeing 737 models after the accident, China Airlines said in an e-mail statement yesterday. In a service letter last year, Boeing warned of possible loose nuts and recommended inspections in regular checkups, Chen said today.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...amp;refer=china

LaoPo

The airline found 100 nuts in its own and subsidiary Mandarin Airlines' 13 Boeing 737-800s were below U.S. Federal Aviation Administration's standard torsion values, Bruce Chen, deputy spokesman of the Taipei-based company, said by telephone today.

That would be good news if......

In a service letter last year, Boeing warned of possible loose nuts and recommended inspections in regular checkups, Chen said today.

They hadn't waited a year, and until one of their planes exploded (again) before doing something about it.

In a service letter last year, Boeing warned of possible loose nuts and recommended inspections in regular checkups, Chen said today.

They hadn't waited a year, and until one of their planes exploded (again) before doing something about it.

I'm amazed they admitted to that.. Wonder who else didn't check their nuts... :o

• 1 year later...
Hi I'm also a Gold Card member with China Airlines, business class is not worth the £1000. plus they are now charging for this route. I have enough miles in my account for a one way upgrade and will use this in September for the last time.

I'm switching allegiance to Emirates, far superior in my opinion in every department.

Don't know about the Amsterday route, but would love to share my negative experiences about China Airlines with you.

I have flown China Airlines, Vancouver - Taipei - Chiang Mai and back for about 7 years now....

1. They continuously, and I think conveniently, forget to credit me all my miles. In 7 years, I only got a total of 36000 miles on my Dynasty Card, after flying Economy every year, on a return ticket. I should have had a free return flight by now, but only had enough for an upgrade...

2. I booked my ticket, in the middle of last month and asked for the Dynasty Upgrade. Later I was told, that I was on a waiting list, which sounded really fishy, as business class is never full on CI. I went to my Ticket Agent and complained. He made some phone calls, over several weeks, and told me, that he solved it all....all I got, was an email, saying that I am "Waitlisted" for the upgrade :)

Today, it was finally time to fly and I contacted my agent again, after not getting the upgrade, when I arrived in Chiang Mai Airport. He assured me, that Bangkok told him, that it was done, for the Taipei - Vancouver part of the trip. Doubtful, I jumped on the plane this morning, arrived here in Taipei a few hours later, only to find out, that I am still "Waitlisted".

3. I asked the clerk at the transfer counter for my access to the CI VIP lounge and he tried to tell me, that since I am only waitlisted, I could not access the VIP lounge. I decided to get loud and got results...he got on the phone with his supervisor, while I took out my cell phone and started taking a video of him. This made him even more insecure. Finally, they gave me a ticket for the VIP lounge, where I am now.

4. I am still "Waitlisted" for the upgrade on the flight, which leaves in about an hour from now, to Vancouver. I'll let you know what happened, but I don't have a lot of faith in them.

I would say, avoid China Airlines at all cost. I will probalby never fly them again, as long as I can find an airline, that is not too much more expensive, as I am on a budget.

Their economy flight used to be good, when they offered free hotels in Taipei, both ways, along with vouchers for dinner and breakfast buffets, in their nice hotel in Taipei. It was a nice way to break up the long trip. They also used to let me bring two 32kg bags, plus an 8kg carry-on, plus my laptop, in Economy.

Now its two 23kg bags plus above, but no more hotels. Instead, I have a seven hour wait in Taipei airport.

China flies out of Chiang Mai, which is nice, but I am open for good suggestion, for another, better, economical airline

Cheers

Just a quick update, as promised...

After leaving VIP lounge, I went to board, with my Economy ticket in hand and email printout about being waitlisted for Business Class.

After a short discussion with the flight attentant, who took my boarding pass, she "Seen the Light" and crossed out the Economy number and replaced it with "B5" Bussiness Class :)

One in business class, they treated me great. Definitely the best plane ride I had in my life so far. Great food, drinks, etc. and very polite and helpful staff.

The rest all went smooth, in Vancouver, too, so I am a happy camper now ;-)