Tree Theft

My wife has Eucalyptus trees growing on approximately 200 rai near Chaiyaphum. There was a guy living locally watching over them but he has since left. It is not unusual in Issarn for people to steal harvested rice crops, fish from ponds etc. and we wondered if anyone has ever heard of a crew coming to cut and steal a load of trees. Certainly profitable if they could get away with it. Joe

I would tend to agree anything not welded or locked tightly is fairly viewed as free game. The funnyside is that they would just porbably go and do it in broad daylight, no would look twice or ask any questions. :o

If you watch the Thai's they are very security conscious and trust no-one

Now that you have alerted everyone, the watchman has left. what do you think is going to happen? Seriously, if a lot of work is involved I wouldnt worry too much, as my experience is the theives here are kind of lazy. But saying that your farm may be close to one of the ambitious ones. Some of the farmers up north provide a shelter (bamboo mat, thatch roof) for people to live in and work outside if their are not needed on the farm where they live.

We are considering hiring someone to watch over them or to visit once a week to see if all is OK. Problem is ; locally hired help could just as easily steal or arrange for theft of trees. I have heard of security guards stealing from employers big time.

This may sound bizarre, but we wondered if we could set up a solar powered web cam to link wirelessly via satelite to the web. That way our relatives and ourselves could keep an eye on things. Equipmemnet would need to be hidden. If it is not feasible, then I could see a market in making it feasible. Might post on computer forum.

Your wife has a big investment here?

It "is" possible to get the poilce to come by once a day or once a week, to sign a book for security(padloecked mailbox which you and them have the key). They do it in the cities alot, but also in the country too.

This would be cheaper than a security guard, and give as much protection as you could get.............................................................................

Your wife has a big investment here?

It "is" possible to get the poilce to come by once a day or once a week, to sign a book for security(padloecked mailbox which you and them have the key). They do it in the cities alot, but also in the country too.

This would be cheaper than a security guard, and give as much protection as you could get.............................................................................

Thanks a million Sap. i did not know they could do this. It does make sense though as many people invest in Eucalyptus and just leave it there for years. I wonder do the Police need to be formally paid formally for this service. I'll ask my wife to check on this. Thanks again.