Having A Baby In Phuket

Mandy

:o My husband & I currently live in Ao Nang and have decided to have our baby in Thailand, due around 24th October. We have looked at the Phuket International Hospital and plan to have the baby there. We haven't visited the Phuket Bangkok Hospital yet but on my insistence, will do so on our next visit to Phuket in one months time.

Any tips on both hospitals would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly anxious about the birth to say the least and would like things to go smoothly if possible.

Secondly we would need to rent somewhere fairly close to the hospital as we need to go two weeks before the due day, and will possibly have to wait two weeks after the due date, depending on when he wants out!

Any suggestions on accomodation would be great, we have stayed at the Imperial hotel in Phuket Town on previous trips, but would prefer something less expensive for such a length of time.

Many thanks

Mandy

So very sorry to hear that LivinLOS

To answer Mandy's post my friend had her baby at the hospital next to Big C, her parents own hospitals in bangkok and Samui and selected that one for her, the staff were gracious and her convalesence was very comfortable, not sure how much you have for budget with regard to your accomodation but Kalim Bay Residences have 2 bedroom apartments available from 30,000 a month with a huge swimming pool, the sound of the waves, nice neighbours, friendly staff, all the trimmings really and a perfect home away from home, website is here: http://www.kalimbay.com/

Good Luck!

So very sorry to hear that about your wife LivinLOS, what a terrible thing to happen.

Thanks to you and Fatter than Harry, I will check out the Phuket Bangkok on my next visit to Phuket in a months time.

Mandy

• 3 years later...

Hi Mandy.

I am pregnant (37weeks+) and in Ao Nang too. We are going for Bangkok Phuket (due on 10/10 but the local doc thinks he might make an appearance sooner). We checked Phuket International too but liked the service at Bangkok-Phuket better.

We are going to drive down once labour starts so I don't know about accommodation.

A couple of things to note about my experience at the hospital so far:

1. I chose Dr Rujirek because she is the only woman obstretician, and that was an error of judgement, not because of her skill as a doctor but her personality. I have since heard that Dr Supakrit is a good one, especially if you are planning a natural child birth.

2. I had a stressful time when I told the doctor I planned a natural birth and that my Mum had done the classes with me in OZ, so I wanted both her and my husband in the room. She point blank refused and it took a half an hour with customer relations to find out that this rule is up to the doctor and she was not going to allow it. However, they called the head of the maternity dept down who was lovely and said that the one person rule applies only if you need a C section. She took us up and showed us a room which is bigger than our house here and said I could have both people present and give birth any way I wanted so long as there were no complications. The doctor was not impressed but seemed to give in at that point.

If you want to hear more you can contact me at - please PM each other with email addresses we don't generally allow them in a live forum. Thanks, Seonai

My wife is currently due any day. I have spent a bit of time looking at the available hospitals and found that Bangkok Phuket is far superior to the international and virtually the same cost. A two night three day package for the birth is around 26000 baht and 25000 at the International.

My friend's wife had her baby there back in July and everything went very smoothly and he was very happy with the service.

Good luck.

One thing I read is get a commitment that in the event of complications you upgrade to the c section emergency treatment..

Someone related a story about a birth where they had ther 'insured birth' number for a natural birth, then it ran into complications, and even baby in ICU style care and they got no 'upgrade' or credit it was refund the natural birth fees and then charge millions of baht in ICU care. If he had paid for the c section 'insured birth' fee it would have been just 10k higher..

Just relating info I read.

I would say Phuket Bangkok in Phuket town is by far the superior hospital of the two..

Then again my wife died in Phuket international this spring due in part to poor care and nursing, so obviously I am biased.

Do you mind elaborating on that mate? I just spent 2 days there with severe food poisoning (never eat "traveller specials") and found the standard to be somewhat haphazard. It was my first time in hospital so I have nothing to compare it with, but wouldn't have fancied surgery etc if my experience was anything to go by. It wasn't particularly bad, just slightly amateurish.

No problems if this is too sensitive.

My wife had a C-section in Phuket International Hospital, and I was present throughout. I had no complaints about the treatment that she got, except that they let her scream for a few hours iin labour when it was pretty obvious that a natural childbirth was not possible due to her small size.

LivinLos, very sorry to her about your wife. My condolences.

Simon

:o My husband & I currently live in Ao Nang and have decided to have our baby in Thailand, due around 24th October. We have looked at the Phuket International Hospital and plan to have the baby there. We haven't visited the Phuket Bangkok Hospital yet but on my insistence, will do so on our next visit to Phuket in one months time.

Any tips on both hospitals would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly anxious about the birth to say the least and would like things to go smoothly if possible.

Secondly we would need to rent somewhere fairly close to the hospital as we need to go two weeks before the due day, and will possibly have to wait two weeks after the due date, depending on when he wants out!

Any suggestions on accomodation would be great, we have stayed at the Imperial hotel in Phuket Town on previous trips, but would prefer something less expensive for such a length of time.

Many thanks

Mandy

My wife got transfered a few years back from Patong hospital (Gvmnt) to Bkk-Phuket to give birth.

1st class service, first class doctors !

she is due again in Dec and complications might arrise, so are going straight to Bkk-Pkt

Besides all "complications" she gave normal natural birth, so no over eager doctors there

good luck for You and the Baby :D

I've been here seven years and I would say, definitely Bangkok Phuket beats Phuket International, the latter having a history of tragic results.

Many thanks

Mandy

After living here for more than seven years, from personal experience and stories I've heard, Bangkok Phuket beats Phuket International hands down.

Many thanks

Mandy

I've been here seven years and I would say, definitely Bangkok Phuket beats Phuket International, the latter having a history of tragic results.

Many thanks

Mandy