Translation Of “affirmation Of Freedom To Marry”

Guemlum

Hi guys, have just a few questions regarding “affirmation of freedom to marry”.

Ok, so we go to the British Embassy in Bangkok to obtain “affirmation of freedom to marry” papers.

We cant make an appoinment for this service, so do we just turn up?

Can anyone recommend a translation bureau that they have used in order to get the affirmation translated into Thai, and how much this costs?

And do we just turn up or make an appoinment at the " Ministry of Foreign Affairs" in order to have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified. And also how much does the "express same day service" cost.

Thanks

Guemlum

Hello mate,

You can down load the affirmation from the embassy website, fill in the blanks with your details and then take it to the embassy, no appointment needed.

Once this is done (next day) you should take it ti a translation office, there are plenty just down from the embassy and they will do it for you while you wait.

Take the papers to cheang wattana (ministry of foriegn affairs and they will certify it for you, you can pay a bit extra (800 baht) and they will do it for you the same day, again no appointment needed.

Good luck

Mark

Hi guys, have just a few questions regarding “affirmation of freedom to marry”.

Ok, so we go to the British Embassy in Bangkok to obtain “affirmation of freedom to marry” papers.

We cant make an appoinment for this service, so do we just turn up?

Can anyone recommend a translation bureau that they have used in order to get the affirmation translated into Thai, and how much this costs?

And do we just turn up or make an appoinment at the " Ministry of Foreign Affairs" in order to have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified. And also how much does the "express same day service" cost.

Thanks

Guemlum

For the translation, I used Professional Translation on the left in Wireless Road just the other side of Sukhumvit.

He is one of the few translators I've met who can actually communicate in English.

More importantly, he also did all the running around getting the translation authenticated by the Thai ministry. You don't have to go in person. The fee for this was modest and we were able to save several days in Bangkok and go back home to Surin immediately and wait for the papers in the mail, thus saving time and money.

When we went to the local ampur to get married, they said they couldn't do it and we had to go back to Bangkok... but that's another story!

Andrew Hicks

Cheers guys. I just hope im leaving enough time to do all of this.

I arrive early in the morning in Thailand on Tuesday 9th October and we're getting married on the Sunday 14th. Is this enough time to sort out?

Guemlum

When we went to the local ampur to get married, they said they couldn't do it and we had to go back to Bangkok... but that's another story!

Are you able to expand on this comment, a problem with the paperwork? Something missing?

Another option is to get married overseas in your home country (check what requirements apply in your home country pertaining to your spouse-to-be - typically just an affirmation from the Thai person's home amphur that to the best of their knowledge he/she is not married and is of legal age, as well as their house registration papers, birth certificate and passport).

Once you have completed the ceremony in your home country, get the marriage papers certified at your home country's ministry of foreign affairs and then translated into Thai, certified by your embassy/consulate in Thailand, and finally approved by the Thai ministry of foreign affairs.

Guem,

I did it a few weeks back in 3 days so you'll have no problem, there are companies that'll do it for you but we thought it was much more fun sorting every thing out ourselves!

Gives you a nice sense of acheivement!

Good luck mate and best wishes to your future wife!

Mark

Download the affirmation to marry off your embassy website , fill out the form sign it , if you have been married b4 you need to have been divorced 365 day to marry a Thai . Take forms and copy of your passport to your embassy and money to pay the fee , 48 hours later you will have the paperwork to go get married .

Its that simple .

JB

Cheers guys for the further posts. I'm well aware of the steps we have to take in obtaining the necessary paperwork, but was just wondering on the timescales involved.

The Mrs has told me that we actually have to be back in Nongkhai for the 11th now as we have a photoshoot book in a studio, so I really need to sort things out pronto.

Andrew - You mentioned you used a company on Wireless Road. Were they called "Professional Translation" or were you referring to them as a professional translation service? It seems that they might be the best route considering the timescale. We can always take the papers to the Amphur after we've had the party. And was the reason you had to return to Bangkok anyway related to the paperwork you had done?

Markr - I should have remembered from your previous posts that you'd recently gone through the whole process. Congrats on the settlement visa. Thats the next step for us.

Guemlem

I am confused ....................

Why are you having the affirmation papers translated to Thai does your wife want this ?

You get your marriage cert when married translated to English if you want to ,thats what i did i dont understand why you would translate a simple to understand affirmation paper to Thai ?

JB

Joe......I dont make up the rules but this is what it says you have to do on the website:

1. Obtain the affirmation in person from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

• Please retype the affirmation including your details on one page in the same format as the attached sample and bring it in person to the Embassy to sign before a British Consular official.
    We accept affirmations during normal working hours (0800-1100 and 1300-1530 Monday-Thursday and 0800-1200 on Fridays). It is not possible to make a prior appointment for this service. The completed affirmation will be ready for collection from the Embassy between from 09.00 hrs on the following working day. We are not able to arrange a “same day” service for the collection of completed affirmations.

• We charge Baht 3,600 per affirmation and we can provide this service to British nationals only.

• Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (death certificate or divorce certificate(s) as appropriate). Only the original evidence or a certified copy will be accepted - photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

2. Have the affirmation translated into Thai.

• Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have it translated into Thai. Please note that Consular Section does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press, and there are a number of companies within a short walk of the Embassy. The Embassy is unable to recommend any particular firms.

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified.

• All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation Division Department of Consular Affairs Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.mfa.go.th) 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210 Tel : 0 2575 1056–59, 0 2981 7171 , Fax : 0 2575 1054 Email : [email protected] (0830 – 1530 hrs) A fee is payable. The service normally takes 2 working days, although it is possible to pay an express fee for a same day service. 4. Submit the document to the Registrar. The affirmation and translation are then ready for submission to the registrar, who, if satisfied, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage certificate. NB: The fees may alter without prior notice.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

Joe......I dont make up the rules but this is what it says you have to do on the website:

1. Obtain the affirmation in person from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

• Please retype the affirmation including your details on one page in the same format as the attached sample and bring it in person to the Embassy to sign before a British Consular official.
    We accept affirmations during normal working hours (0800-1100 and 1300-1530 Monday-Thursday and 0800-1200 on Fridays). It is not possible to make a prior appointment for this service. The completed affirmation will be ready for collection from the Embassy between from 09.00 hrs on the following working day. We are not able to arrange a “same day” service for the collection of completed affirmations.

• We charge Baht 3,600 per affirmation and we can provide this service to British nationals only.

• Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (death certificate or divorce certificate(s) as appropriate). Only the original evidence or a certified copy will be accepted - photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

2. Have the affirmation translated into Thai.

• Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have it translated into Thai. Please note that Consular Section does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press, and there are a number of companies within a short walk of the Embassy. The Embassy is unable to recommend any particular firms.

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified.

• All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation Division Department of Consular Affairs Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.mfa.go.th) 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210 Tel : 0 2575 1056–59, 0 2981 7171 , Fax : 0 2575 1054 Email : [email protected] (0830 – 1530 hrs) A fee is payable. The service normally takes 2 working days, although it is possible to pay an express fee for a same day service. 4. Submit the document to the Registrar. The affirmation and translation are then ready for submission to the registrar, who, if satisfied, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage certificate. NB: The fees may alter without prior notice.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

Ok sorry about that ..............

I took the lazy mans route , i downloaded the affirmation filled it out , took it to the embassy , paid the fee then collected the document to marry . I then dropped it into siam legal they must have done the translation i then met them at there office few days later went off with the new Mrs and two people from Siam legal that signed and witnessed my marriage .

Siam Legal then took my paperwork / marriage cert all in Thai translated everything from Thai to English for me i now have all these in a nice folder .

The Bkk marriage was all done and dusted very quickly but the Issan wedding well thats another story :o .

JB

Guem,

What it says is correct, joe unfortunately is not.

It cannot be done the same day either as the embassy will require the affirmation untill the next day.

I disagree. It can be done the same day.

I took my Affirmation to the Brit Embassy and was told to collect it the next day. However Master Class Translation Services said that as long as I had a receipt from the Brit Embassy and a copy of the Affirmation we would be able to get our marriage certificate from the amphur the same day. Which we did.

The following day, Master Class collected the original affirmation from the embassy and took it to the amphur.

We paid 9000bht for everything. "Tea Money" may have been included in the price, but as it was a price quoted by them on 2 occassions, and also by another TV member.

Guem,

What it says is correct, joe unfortunately is not.

It cannot be done the same day either as the embassy will require the affirmation untill the next day.

Where did i say the affirmation would be given back same day .

Glasses at spec saver 1.99 a pair :o

JB