Work permit and M.E visa to non b

Hi. I have a Multi Entry non o visa from Savannakhet. My wife has,a,business operating 6 months of the year(now till April.) My visa expires next May.  She went to a  local Thai  accountant in a provincial town   who is setting up a company for her. My wife will employ me for the required 40,000 baht per month and the accountant will get a work permit for me and I guess convert my non-o me to a non-b?. She says to get the work permit I will need to show 400,000 baht each 3 months to immigration. I understand that converting my visa to non-b would require showing funds but I understood the 40,000 baht income would be sufficient without needing to show 400,000 b.

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hi. I have a Multi Entry non o visa from Savannakhet. My wife has,a,business operating 6 months of the year(now till April.) My visa expires next May.  She went to a  local Thai  accountant in a provincial town   who is setting up a company for her. My wife will employ me for the required 40,000 baht per month and the accountant will get a work permit for me and I guess convert my non-o me to a non-b?. She says to get the work permit I will need to show 400,000 baht each 3 months to immigration. I understand that converting my visa to non-b would require showing funds but I understood the 40,000 baht income would be sufficient without needing to show 400,000 b.

The work-permit comes from the Dept-of-Labor, not immigration.  You can get a work-permit on a Non-O ME-Visa, provided it is based on marriage to a Thai (not retirement).  The first time they give you the WP valid for 3 months only - then you go back and extend it for 1-year. 

If you switch to a 1-year extension-of-stay (based on marriage to a Thai) from Immigration, you would need to show you had 400K in your account for 2 months prior to applying for it.  Some remote provinces require you to show the 400K for 3 months before application.   You would not need to show the 400K again until the next year.

In either case, provided your permitted-stay is based on marriage to a Thai, you qualify for a work-permit.  A change to a Non-B would not be needed or desirable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

The work-permit comes from the Dept-of-Labor, not immigration.  You can get a work-permit on a Non-O ME-Visa, provided it is based on marriage to a Thai (not retirement).  The first time they give you the WP valid for 3 months only - then you go back and extend it for 1-year. 

If you switch to a 1-year extension-of-stay (based on marriage to a Thai) from Immigration, you would need to show you had 400K in your account for 2 months prior to applying for it.  Some remote provinces require you to show the 400K for 3 months before application.   You would not need to show the 400K again until the next year.

In either case, provided your permitted-stay is based on marriage to a Thai, you qualify for a work-permit.  A change to a Non-B would not be needed or desirable.

Hey Rob. Thank you. That makes me feel much more at ease. 

6 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hey Rob. Thank you. That makes me feel much more at ease. 

You are welcome.  The accountant handling this may or may not know you can get a work-permit on a Non-0 marriage-based permitted-stay.  

I say this is preferable, because your permitted-stay is not invalidated by losing your work permit / job in the future.  With a Non-B, it is. 

The Dept-of-Labor will be fine with it - only care you are being paid the minimum-required salary - not what your bank-balance is.

52 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

You are welcome.  The accountant handling this may or may not know you can get a work-permit on a Non-0 marriage-based permitted-stay.  

I say this is preferable, because your permitted-stay is not invalidated by losing your work permit / job in the future.  With a Non-B, it is. 

The Dept-of-Labor will be fine with it - only care you are being paid the minimum-required salary - not what your bank-balance is.

Great. Thanks enormously. Understand😁