Uk Bank Account For Fiancee

Against all the odds we achieved a Civil Partnership visa for my gay thai partner who flew back with me earlier this year. We are shortly planning to go through civil partnership after which he can then apply again for leave to stay for two more years and to work in the UK.

Does anyone know of any UK banks that will accept applications by Thai Nationals in the situation of not working or studying? My reason is that I want to set up sufficient funds in the UK for him should, god forbid, I die in accident before the civil partnership takes effect and before he accrues any rights from that. If something like that were to happen then he would need to be able to maintain himself and get a flight back to Thailand - I have made provision for him in my will but because that involves property sales it would be some months before he benefited from it.

I thought HSBC provided the answer with their £60 fee account but it seems in the application form that you either have to give details of an employer or a course of study - which he cannot do on his current visa. I accept that banks are going to charge but wonder if anyone might know the best to apply to. Unfortunately I bank on line with Cahoot who have a strict 3 year residency rule for new accounts

I'm no expert on the current banking provisions, but it appears that the banks, under the regulation of the FSA, are now loath to open accounts unless the applicant has a verifiable "history". Consequently, your partner may find it difficult to open his own account, not because he is currently not working, but because he has only recently arrived in the UK.

Scouse.

KW got a very basic bank a/c from Nationwide...ATM (red )card but no credit/debit /borrowing facilities etc...for ...from memory ....2 years....but at least you can talk to them.....

Also as we ALL know its still the only outfit still not to charge for ANY overseas withdrawal money exchange transactions (believe PO may have a deal but MPRai)...dont even think about the so called HSBC krup...you gotta pay £12-50 a month....for their set up... :o

incid...Just read that RBS (Jocks bank) made a £10 B profit in the last 6 months....from skruing everyone and looks like they are now set up to buy Hollands ABN-Amro....cant lose kin they?