Accident Insurance For Laptops

crabstix

Is it possible to buy accident insurance for laptops in Thailand. Just in case I buy one and accidently drop it. Also it is worth buying extended warrantees on laptops in Thailand or would you advise me to get a laptop which already comes with a long warrantee. I've noticed that many fujitsu laptops come with 3 year warrantees whereas other brands such as HP come with just 1 year.

The answer is "it depends". Acer laptops come with a 1 year warranty, which can be extended to 3 years for a couple thousand baht. They also have 1 year accident warranty if you register within a month of purchase. HP can also extend their warranty, as well as Benq. Fujitsu laptops come with a 3 year warranty, but you'll notice that you pay about twice as much for the laptops. For other manufacturers, you'll have to check. Just go to one of the IT centers and ask.

I think it's a good idea to extend the warranty. It usually doesn't cost that much, and 3 years is about the normal usable life of a laptop anyways.

Guest Reimar

Firefox is right, Acer is coming with 1 year Insurance.

I can't read Thai so I can't read the Insurance nmae but I can give you the phone number of that Insurance company : 0 2285 8728

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to buy accident insurance for laptops in Thailand. Just in case I buy one and accidently drop it. Also it is worth buying extended warrantees on laptops in Thailand or would you advise me to get a laptop which already comes with a long warrantee. I've noticed that many fujitsu laptops come with 3 year warrantees whereas other brands such as HP come with just 1 year.

We can insure laptops ( and cameras ) from being stolen but they need to be part of an all risks property insurance - not stand alone.

One thing to watch carefully when insuring computers or other electronic items is the basis of loss settlement for these items. While most homeowners' policies cover your personal property for replacment cost, many insurers will either completely exclude laptops and some other electronic items, such as mobile phones, or will limit coverage to "actual cash value" or "indemnity" basis. This means that if your laptop is lost or stolen, they will pay your claim based upon either the market value or depreciated value, of your laptop. Perhaps even something lower. Since laptops depreciate and become obsolete very quickly, chances are that in most instances you would recover significanly less than what you paid for it, especially if it is a few years old. When you factor in the deductible most insurers impose, the amount recoverable from insurance goes down even more.

I'm not suggesting that you do without insurance for your laptop, just make sure you understand the basis of coverage and what you could expect to claim in the event of a loss.

Good luck.

• 11 months later...

Toshiba give you a 1 year international insurance against teft and damages and you can extended it to 3 years.

Dont know about Thailand Extended warranties for Electricals as i have never used,But for sure There a BIG RIPP OFF in UK,

Beleive me.