Who Gets Arrested In Thailand?

kiwisr

Sparked by the other thread about what you do when arrested, I wondered about the types of people arrested in Thailand.

Firstly it seems to me that the majority of cases are genuine, ie: not too many genuinely innocent people seem to be arrested.

Secondly virtually every arrest I hear of is because of violence, drugs or sex and is perpetrated in an "adult" entertainment area or involves people who frequent these places or fraternise with people involved in those areas.

What are the realistic chances of a "normal" person/family ever getting into trouble with police in Thailand?

For example if I married a Thai girl, an accountant for arguments sake, moved into a nice house in the Bangkok suburbs, never strayed to Patpong/Pattaya etc and never took drugs.

I think the chances are almost zero.

There certainly seems to be 2 different worlds in Thailand, those that are there in legitimate areas and businesses rarely seem to be involved in any trouble, while those expats that live in say Pattaya, always seem to be surrounded by trouble.

In different areas of Bangkok, there are relatively high crime rates. A few threads have discussed some of the most dangerous sois. I know where I live, in an industrial/suburban area, the crime rate is quite high. Living in a Moo Baan is OK, but once you venture out and down some of the sois be cautious.

Also, remember there have been a few very high profile incidents of people being killed or robbed after being picked up at the airport and their bodies dumped.

I lived in the Patpong area for many years (didn't usually frequent the establishments there), but I felt quite safe--lots of police, tourist police, and people in general. Of course, I also wasn't engaging in any illegal activities.

Being arrested is certainly a concern for criminals.What you perhaps want to know is what if something should happen to you.Such as being involved in an accident,being robbed,getting into a hassle with a Thai,etc.. You may find the justice system to be much less impartial, as what you would find to be comfortable for you.I suggest you move here and find out or search the forum and read between the lines.Mostly if you keep a low profile you should be fine.

Even the police will openly tell you that the jails and prisons here are for the poor and the stupid.

:o

So what you are saying is that if you are comparatively rich , you will not find your way to jail because you will be able to come to an arrangement with the police? Probably right .. what do others think?

Also you have all overlooked one other category of foreigner who CAN find themselves in a Thai jail, .... the one who has upset anyone with criminal friends or anyone in high places. Police can be paid to plant evidence on innocents who have crossed the wrong people.

Even the police will openly tell you that the jails and prisons here are for the poor and the stupid.

So what you are saying is that if you are comparatively rich , you will not find your way to jail because you will be able to come to an arrangement with the police? Probably right .. what do others think?

Also you have all overlooked one other category of foreigner who CAN find themselves in a Thai jail, .... the one who has upset anyone with criminal friends or anyone in high places. Police can be paid to plant evidence on innocents who have crossed the wrong people.

As with anywhere else in the world it's more to do with the quality of the legal representation you can afford. Sure, deals are done at all levels, as in the US and Australia, the poor plead guilty for a lesser sentences; the children of the rich walk free after Daddy's million dollar lawyer talks to Judges and politicians.

Let's face it, what's the use of having money if you can't buy your kids out of jail?

i had an argument a few weeks ago with some well established expats..

the basis of the argument was over some thai guy got busted with an automatic here in my soi. it was reported that he might be a hitman and the expats were touting it as that. my arguement was his only charge was being caught with an illegal weapon.

i must state now I HATE PEOPLE LABELING OTHER PEOPLE.

these tards whilst proberly were correct could not get it thru their thick heads he was never charged as being a hitman it was only alleged and never proven, he was charged with an ILLEGAL weapon.

well after about an hour of heated discusion one expat declared iam fraternizing with the same criminal type as the alleged hitman as i have a thai girlfriend ........ i walked away .... never will i associate with such retarded people again.

assupmtions should be based on facts not heresay.

The topic last night in the restaurant was murder. Not sure if the g/f was considering enacting such a crime, but she insists that if she murdered me she would do 1 year jail and 1 year 'stay at home' if she stated that she was not 100% when she committed such a crime, especially against a Farang.

Not so the other way about unless you have the MONEY.

As for being arrested in Thailand, I was on Khaosan Road when a bunch of Farang were creating trouble after a certain cup match (football). The police did not arrest anyone but merely waved their sticks about and chased them away.

In a second incident a man was obviously drunk and spoiling for a fight with another Farang over a B/G. The Police were called and you could see the police were doing their utmost just to have the offender walk away and not to arrest him.

Eventually - after about 10 minutes - the drunk was taken away by one of his friends and that was it.

So maybe you do have to be pretty dumb to be arrested, or start lashing out at the BiB. Either that or the BiB in that area of BKK are very patient.

i had an argument a few weeks ago with some well established expats..

the basis of the argument was over some thai guy got busted with an automatic here in my soi. it was reported that he might be a hitman and the expats were touting it as that. my arguement was his only charge was being caught with an illegal weapon.

these tards whilst proberly were correct could not get it thru their thick heads he was never charged as being a hitman it was only alleged and never proven, he was charged with an ILLEGAL weapon.

well after about an hour of heated discusion one expat declared iam fraternizing with the same criminal type as the alleged hitman as i have a thai girlfriend ........ i walked away .... never will i associate with such retarded people again.

assupmtions should be based on facts not heresay.

And all normal people carry guns in Thailand.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

There certainly seems to be 2 different worlds in Thailand, those that are there in legitimate areas and businesses rarely seem to be involved in any trouble, while those expats that live in say Pattaya, always seem to be surrounded by trouble.

I think this is a fair point - albeit I have not lived 24/7 in "Real Thailand" :D , IME you do have to do some dumb stuff to attract problems. :D:o

But, nonetheless outside the comfort of the "Stupidity Zone" :D I would expect that the issue of "Farang have money too mutt, I want some" would still have potential to create problems for normal people, if not worse ones depending on your business interests / succcess.

LOL