Calling Canada Cheaply From Thailand (merged)

sukanyacondo

I know If I use the phones here and dial 007-008-009 before making a call I can get a better international rate to Canada but does anyone know how I can call a Canadian 1-800 ie free phone number from Thailand without having to pay a high price as the 007 etc numbers wont connect me. Any cheap calling cards let me do this or any othe rnumbers I could try to prefix with?

Thanks

I've been using Skype to phone Canada for about a year, and I'm really happy with it. I pay 10 euros (about 14 CAD) and at 2.4 cents CAD/min (80 stang) I can talk for hours before having to top up my account. The type of account is called "Skype Out" and 1-800 calls are free (PC to Phone).

Any cheap calling cards let me do this or any othe rnumbers I could try to prefix with?

Thanks

Try "Zay Hi" hq at Thaniya plaza and counter sales at BTS Chidlom and Phrom Pong stations. It is a card that uses a local Bkk phone number and rate is 2 baht per min to landline or mobile to Canada.

How can I call Canada cheaply as the number I have to connect to is a 1-800 number which is free in Canada but not outside ie here in Thailand. I usually dial 07=08 or 09 but these will not work anyone know how. I posted this before but cant find it maybe the mods moved it????

I don't think you can connect to an 800 number from most non-American locations (I'm assuming its the same deal as Canada), since the 800 number holder pays the freight, and there isn't usually a system in place to do that transaction. Thus, my credit card company has a non-800 customer service number for international problems, etc.

You probably need to call through VOIP (vonage, skype) with a setup that spoofs a location in the system which the 800 number resides. I use Vonage, but that's not really a solution for a one-off problem.

Edited by calibanjr.

Do you have a Canadian calling card? If so, you can use Canada Direct to call Canadian 800 numbers. Access number in Thailand is 1-800-0-001-50

which gives you a Canadian operator. It will be billed on your calling card as a regular long distance call, unfortunately not exactly cheap. More here.