Honest Job

Azrael

I'm wondering is it possible for a Thai girl to have an honest job when she has a family of four to take care of? She told me she lives in Bangkok and goes to Bangkok Uni. Her family lives around Sattahip, both parents a dead so she is the soul provider for her sisters, one which has medical problems. Is it possible to have an honest job that pays enough for these responsibilities? The reason i'm asking is because I've heard every story in the book and would like to know others opinions on this. :o

Do the maths. A meal cost between 10-20 Baht. A small apartment might be 2,000 Baht a month. Hospital bills; vary with the case, typical medication costs might be 200 - 500 Baht, hospital visits; 500 - 1,000 Baht per time (?) Clothes 30-100 per item. Mobile phone cards - varies with usage.

Multiple by the households/people the one source of income for the whole family would need to be providing something like 12,750 Baht per month, without any extras. That is quite a lot for someone in full time education to provide, this does not count any student course fees or books etc. People in Thailand can live very cheaply, but generally these are found up country and rely on living in the family house with food provided from the land around them.

A typical clerical office worker might earn between 7,000 - 15,000 Baht per month, full time. She might be able to hold down two jobs that fit around university time, 7-11 clerk or working in catering, but these will be paying 20-30 Baht an hour, little more. When does she sleep?

As you are no doubt aware less "honest" jobs pay better, and require less working time. If you need to have your doubts confirmed either way you probably already know the answer you will find. Telephoning when she would normally be studying in or working might support her story. Not being availible late in the evening or unexpected (!) noise in the background might be a indication of somethng else.

id bet heavily against it but if the kids are not under her roof...and shes sending basically nothing to whomever is caring for them.

i wonder when she has the time to go to school if shes working earning scant wages? schools are like 40000 baht a year just for courses for reg nurse (nurse told me).

if youre telling me shes caring for five people??? and then why is this on the pattaya thread? you met her here?!

if she wears slaps shes honest, if she wears heels shes a tart - apply the pattaya shoe test :-)

governement loans pay for tuition, the government also provides a living allowance for students....the loans must be payed back after graduation.

the majority of students attending uni use these loans.

an average semesters tuition is around 25,000 baht for that level of university.