Sun-dried Plar Nin/tap-tim

Tilapia

Hi there

In our production of plar Nin/Tap-Tim there is a amount of fish there dont grow to the full size, they are around 150-250 grams each. They are difficult to sell, so I was thinking of sun-drying them.

Has any of you seen that kind of product around ??

Regards

Tilapia.

You can buy many kinds of fish that are dried "dedt dio"...which means dried for one day....and it is prepeared by doing just that.

My wife's instructions on how to prepare the fish for drying: cut off both sides of the head...if you cut the head off completely you will lose some meat; gut the fish; wash with water; make two or three cuts on each side depending on how big the fish is...cut through the meat only, not the bone...this is to help them dry faster; emerse in salted water about one or two minutes depending on how salty the water is...this is to help keep the flies off AND to improve the taste; place on drying rack.

My wife's instruction on how to dry them:...on a completly sunny day you put the cut pieces out in the morning as soon as the sun is shining on your drying rack at about 8 o'clock and then about at noon or one o'clock you turn them over......turning at two or three o'clock is too late!!!...when the sun is no longer on the fish at about 5 o'clock remove them from the rack...don't leave them on the drying rack without sunshine on them as they will get moist....then put them in a basket lined with newspaper so that they can breathe.

Chownah

I dont know if theres a market, but I've done it myself.

Split open,soaked in brine over night, dried in the sun 1 day, then deep fried at a later date.

Very delicious, gives them alot of flavour they're usualy lacking.

Another way to get rid of excess small ones is to catch the fry, the smaller the better.

The TGF roughly guts them, deep fry whole & eat whole.

Tastes great but anything bigger than your thumb is to boney.

Hi there

In our production of plar Nin/Tap-Tim there is a amount of fish there dont grow to the full size, they are around 150-250 grams each. They are difficult to sell, so I was thinking of sun-drying them.

Regards

Tilapia.

The wife often splits and sun dries fish that have been in the holding nets to long and look a bit worse for wear, they sell really well and she gets about the same price (50bt -kg),I often see them at the local permanent market.

With the size fish you mention ,we sell at 3kg for 100 baht ,must sound a good deal cos they always sell quickly.

Not the weather for sundrying at the present ,its pissin down up here, in one nights downpour the Klong is running a banker and my 4 inch Honda pump ended up under water,so its off for a strip down.

cheers

ozzy

You can buy many kinds of fish that are dried "dedt dio"...which means dried for one day....and it is prepeared by doing just that.

My wife's instructions on how to prepare the fish for drying: cut off both sides of the head...if you cut the head off completely you will lose some meat; gut the fish; wash with water; make two or three cuts on each side depending on how big the fish is...cut through the meat only, not the bone...this is to help them dry faster; emerse in salted water about one or two minutes depending on how salty the water is...this is to help keep the flies off AND to improve the taste; place on drying rack.

My wife's instruction on how to dry them:...on a completly sunny day you put the cut pieces out in the morning as soon as the sun is shining on your drying rack at about 8 o'clock and then about at noon or one o'clock you turn them over......turning at two or three o'clock is too late!!!...when the sun is no longer on the fish at about 5 o'clock remove them from the rack...don't leave them on the drying rack without sunshine on them as they will get moist....then put them in a basket lined with newspaper so that they can breathe.

Chownah

Hi Chownah.

Thanks for the detailed description about how to do, I appreciate that, but I was really looking for if there is a potencial market for them, and if any of you out there have seen them for sale.

Regards

Tilapia.

Hi there

Regards

Tilapia.

The wife often splits and sun dries fish that have been in the holding nets to long and look a bit worse for wear, they sell really well and she gets about the same price (50bt -kg),I often see them at the local permanent market.

With the size fish you mention ,we sell at 3kg for 100 baht ,must sound a good deal cos they always sell quickly.

Not the weather for sundrying at the present ,its pissin down up here, in one nights downpour the Klong is running a banker and my 4 inch Honda pump ended up under water,so its off for a strip down.

cheers

ozzy

Hi Ozzy

You need a bigger pump mate..... :o and thanks for the info.

Regards

Tilapia.

I dont know if theres a market, but I've done it myself.

Split open,soaked in brine over night, dried in the sun 1 day, then deep fried at a later date.

Very delicious, gives them alot of flavour they're usualy lacking.

Another way to get rid of excess small ones is to catch the fry, the smaller the better.

The TGF roughly guts them, deep fry whole & eat whole.

Tastes great but anything bigger than your thumb is to boney.

Hi Pondlife.

I have a very big thumb :o What would you say the weight would be in grams ??

Regards

Tilapia.

Hi there

Regards

Tilapia.

cheers

ozzy

Hi Ozzy

Regards

Tilapia.

The klong broke through the embankments this arvo, all the freshly sown rice is 4 foot under water,if it rises another 15 inches I will be donating 4000 fish to the local fishermen, nobody has seen it rise to this level in 10 years and thats after only one nights downpour.

cheers

ozzy

Hi there

Regards

Tilapia.

cheers

ozzy

Hi Ozzy

Regards

Tilapia.

The klong broke through the embankments this arvo, all the freshly sown rice is 4 foot under water,if it rises another 15 inches I will be donating 4000 fish to the local fishermen, nobody has seen it rise to this level in 10 years and thats after only one nights downpour.

cheers

ozzy

Hi Ozzy.

This will be a good time for you, to start a charity fund :D , might as well get some PR out of it :D ....Here in Buri-Ram it hardly rains, I can piZZ more in a day

Regards

Tilapia.

I havn't got a Scooby about the weight, but after measureing my thumb I'd say 6 cm max nose to tail.

Better still eat some & find out when the bones get to much.

I used a round cast net, kept the tiddlers & threw back the bigger ones to grow.

Quick scrape on both sides,slit the belly & squeeze the guts out ,toss them in some Maggi powder & deep fry till crispy.

You probably dont need to even gut them but its not me that does it so I dont argue.

Bon appetite

Hi Tilapia,

The sun dried plar nin sells at 100 b/kilo in Buriram market, however, it is fillited, very aroy, wife buys regularly.

Hi Fruity.

That's a good price, do you have any idea about the amount they sell ??

We should meet, where do you stay in Buriram ?? I'm 12km south of the town.

Regards

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

The sun dried plar nin sells at 100 b/kilo in Buriram market, however, it is fillited, very aroy, wife buys regularly.

Hi Fruity.

Regards

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

Best PM with your number again. I've no idea how much this woman sells, however, she's there every night & only sells the plar nin dried fillets & those small fish in the circular basket thingies, so I imagine, she must do ok with it, my local restaurant also serves the same, popular dish 120 baht, for maybe 8-10 pieces.

Cheers

Hi Tilapia,

Hi Fruity.

Regards

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

Best PM with your number again. I've no idea how much this woman sells, however, she's there every night & only sells the plar nin dried fillets & those small fish in the circular basket thingies, so I imagine, she must do ok with it, my local restaurant also serves the same, popular dish 120 baht, for maybe 8-10 pieces.

Cheers

Thanks Fruity

I will get in, and check it out, I have a shi#$ load of that size fish...PM in the mail

Regards

Tilapia.