Lenovo To Preload Thinkpads With Linux!

sbk

Lenovo to Preload ThinkPads with Linux

By ExtremeTech Staff

Lenovo and Novell on Monday announced an agreement to preload Linux onto certain Lenovo ThinkPad notebook PCs, with Lenovo providing the support for the OS.

The agreement comes a year after a similar agreement was predicted. Specifically, the agreement calls for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 from Novell to be preloaded onto T series notebooks beginning in the fourth quarter of 2007.

This is the first time Lenovo has provided support for both the hardware and the operating system, an extension of Lenovo's current support, providing a Help Center for the SUSE operating system.

"We have seen more customers utilizing and requesting open source notebook solutions in education, government and the enterprise since our ThinkPad T60p Linux announcement, and today's announcement expands upon our efforts by offering customers more Linux options," said Sam Dusi, vice president of product marketing for the Notebook Business Unit at Lenovo. "Known for hardware and software based innovations like our roll cage and ThinkVantage Technologies, we continue our tradition of building the industry's best engineered PCs and delivering excellent customer solutions, such as SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 from Novell."

The ThinkPad notebooks with the Linux-preload will also be available for purchase by individual customers, Lenovo said. Pricing for the SUSE option was not announced.

PC Magazine

Didn't Microsoft predict the downfall of open source recently?... :o

Downfall of Open-Source, they (Linux) did made things available which are now called expensive names and showed off like the newest thing on the desktop.

3D desktops/user interface, O yes Apple and Microsoft are both calling it there latest creations, but most Linux users who know better know that we have it for years (what was it 1999/2000).

I agree not everything is as easy to do as you can with MS-Windows, but then you pay a few extra Dollars also. To run the latest 3D desktop/user interface from Microsoft you need a computer which sets you back for around 50k Baht.

I run Gnome with Beryl as 3D windows manager on a computer powered with a Nvidia FX-5200 VGA card and I can impress all Windows Vista users especially in speed. It is known that when Windows Vista with a powerful VGA card showing a 3D desktop while you play almost full screen video on one its desktops it starts to becomes difficult to show smooth video stream.

With my cheap cheap VGA card, I belief it retails now or 1400 Baht I can do multiple videos and still scroll the screens without seeing one hike up in the screen.

post-12170-1186489050_thumb.jpg

The fastest way to get beryl (3D desktop manager) installed is to open a terminal and then do

sudo echo "deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info/ feisty all">>/etc/apt/sources.list

After this you do

sudo apt-get update

Now you can open Synaptic Package manager (System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager)

And select all packages beginning with beryl.....select Apply and your installation begins