Retirees..military From U.s.

PAPA DUCK

All,

Has anybody any idea what a good guestimate is of the U.S. military population is in Thailand ? And where are the majority of them ? Especially the most popular area not in Udon Thani.

Thanks

What's your interest?

In this day and age you never know what someone's motives are! :o

About ten years ago I was in Korat overnight, enroute to Phimai (when they were ruining it by "renovation") and I stayed at the SiRi hotel. Right next to it was an American VFW post!! And it was packed with beer-swilling retirees. ######, there must have been 50 of them, mostly in their late 50s & 60s. If their livers have survived, that would put them in geezer territory. Most had Thai wives/gfs. I was led to believe that Non Khai and Ubon also had sizeable populations and that Pattaya is crawling with them.....actually, Pattaya is crawling with a lot of things. :o

You're going to find the Vietnam era retirees (or what's left of them!) in the general area of the old US bases. So look in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat AB), Udon Thani (Udorn AB) and Sattahip, close to Pattaya, (Utapao AB). There may be others, but those are the ones the guys I worked with in the USAF were at. I personally am headed to Korat, and will be joining that very VFW post you mentioned, hopefully in August.

Has anybody any idea what a good guestimate is of the U.S. military population is in Thailand ?

It is rather difficult to estimate. I don't think they are allowed to wear their martial outfits in public.

During the conflict with Myanmar at the northern border actually some were seen.

President Bush cs offered Thailand to send some to southern Thailand, but Dr. Taksin declined.

But you are welcome to Thailand as a tourist as well. Come as a friend!

Hundreds of them, and they were all Special Ops by the way they tell it.

From my military experience most of the G.I's that were in Thailand on a regular bases in the mid to late 80's were mostly special ops. All though I have not ever been on an A team or through the Q-course. I was assigned to HHC, 1st Special Forces group Airborne station on okinawaas a 63b-P I know these guys loved Thailand and I sure plenty of them retired there. But one thing that was mentioned in another posting is true. Most of these guy's would never tell you they were special ops. For the most part if some one tells you they were special ops they are full of sh1teand are wanta be's. These guy's are not your typical military men who go out bar brawling and talking crap. They try to keep a low profile.

I don't have a clue to were they would be hanging out these days. If I had to guess I would say around Lopuri.

btw Iceman if you are retired in Thailand pm me, I am the guy wo helped you pull your car out of the east china sea.

Hundreds of them, and they were all Special Ops by the way they tell it.

From my military experience most of the G.I's that were in Thailand on a regular bases in the mid to late 80's were mostly special ops. All though I have not ever been on an A team or through the Q-course. I was assigned to HHC, 1st Special Forces group Airborne station on okinawaas a 63b-P I know these guys loved Thailand and I sure plenty of them retired there. But one thing that was mentioned in another posting is true. Most of these guy's would never tell you they were special ops. For the most part if some one tells you they were special ops they are full of sh1teand are wanta be's. These guy's are not your typical military men who go out bar brawling and talking crap. They try to keep a low profile.

I don't have a clue to were they would be hanging out these days. If I had to guess I would say around Lopuri.

btw Iceman if you are retired in Thailand pm me, I am the guy wo helped you pull your car out of the east china sea.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but when someone asks a question ans does not come back to comment I get a little worried. I am not saying anything else about this.

Chok dee

All,

Has anybody any idea what a good guestimate is of the U.S. military population is in Thailand ? And where are the majority of them ? Especially the most popular area not in Udon Thani.

Thanks

Best thing to do is get info from VFW. Most foreigners in Thailand do not understand the unique position a retired serviceman is in. From meeting many

retired and non retired foreigners in thailand you are much better off with your

pay and benefits than 80% of them. I am not retired military or a military person

but did spend a few years during the 70's. Good luck and enjoy your well earned

bennies.

Chok dee

Papa Duck, you didn't write that you asked about retired American Military Personel, so I got your question wrong.

Citation:

What's your interest?

In this day and age you never know what someone's motives are!

Yes Pappa, this question is reasonable. An old friend and veteran from the Vietnam war told me many years ago that several M(issed)I(n)A(ction's) 'ducked' in Thailand, some of them in good consultation about pension-matters with their former American wives.

And I have another friend, who served as a medic orderly in these rescue-helicopters, who doesn't even want to be remembered that he was there. He doesn't have to be remembered, the pictures keep coming back. When he closes his eyes he still sees these enormeous B-47's loaded with body-bags.

Citation:

Am I the only one that feels the same as stocky? This PAPA DUCK only posted once and now is gone? Am i paranoid?

Papa Duck might be sleeping now. Isn't it nighttime in America? Or he is eating something. Don't worry, he will show up! Chok dee too.

Chok dee

Papa Duck, you didn't write that you asked about retired American Military Personel, so I got your question wrong.

Citation:

What's your interest?

In this day and age you never know what someone's motives are!

Yes Pappa, this question is reasonable. An old friend and veteran from the Vietnam war told me many years ago that several M(issed)I(n)A(ction's) 'ducked' in Thailand, some of them in good consultation about pension-matters with their former American wives.

And I have another friend, who served as a medic orderly in these rescue-helicopters, who doesn't even want to be remembered that he was there. He doesn't have to be remembered, the pictures keep coming back. When he closes his eyes he still sees these enormeous B-47's loaded with body-bags.

Citation:

Am I the only one that feels the same as stocky? This PAPA DUCK only posted once and now is gone? Am i paranoid?

Papa Duck might be sleeping now. Isn't it nighttime in America? Or he is eating something. Don't worry, he will show up! Chok dee too.

Well you can tell him all you want remember this "loose lips sink ships" so up to u hopefully nothing bad happens now but if it does see ya

chok dee

Well you can tell him all you want remember this "loose lips sink ships" so up to u hopefully nothing bad happens now but if it does see ya

I don't doubt the integrity of Pappa Duck. He is probably looking for a place to meet soul-mates, who can help him further.

The one about the ships remembers me about a ferry-boat which sunk a couple of years ago because the captain hadn't closed the loading ramp. Have you been serving in the navy?

see ya (you?)

Well you can tell him all you want  remember this "loose lips  sink ships"  so up to u  hopefully nothing bad happens now but if it does  see ya

I don't doubt the integrity of Pappa Duck. He is probably looking for a place to meet soul-mates, who can help him further.

The one about the ships remembers me about a ferry-boat which sunk a couple of years ago because the captain hadn't closed the loading ramp. Have you been serving in the navy?

see ya (you?)

Nah I was in the Army My Grandmother has been saying that since 9/11 happend she always tells me be careful who u talk to Remember "Loose Lips Sink Ships" she said it's from world war 2 I just don't like the fact that papa duck starts a thread and then poof no answer maybe i'm jumping the gun but i started some threads at least i go back to see what's been added.

chok dee

All,

Apologize for the delayed response and understand your concern. I could have been more specific with my questions and should have identified myself. I'm currently active duty and stationed in Japan. I've been in 25 years and I'm not...a SPECOPS type, but I know what you're talking about. I basically was trying to get a feel for where I could settle close to some kindred spirits. I'm a Life Member of VFW 1054 and interested in that sort of volunteerism but as I expected the retiree population in Thailand is aging and who knows how much longer these organizations will last without some new blood. Also, as a rule I keep myself off the computer on weekends...have enough addictions and a bitchy Thai wife.