August 20 Confirmed As Extra Holiday

george

Only govt. officials get the holiday. Business as usual for banks, state enterprise. Govt. schools will be closed, private open. Pick an earlier day if your visa extension or other govt. business falls on that date.

Would this not defeat the stated purpose ?

Well,

as a teacher at a sheet hot school in the centre, I am pretty much totally in favour of having every weekend as a long weekend. Is there still time to amend the Constitution to enact such a blessing??... :o

Seriously though, it's turning out to be a dammed gud month.

A 4 day long weekend = 3 day work week.

Followed by a very taxing 'normal' 5 day week.

Then another 3 day weekend to celebrate her Majesty's birthday

Then yet another 3 day weekend for the people to do their thing and get the country sorted to the best of the collective ability.

And even if the bars are closed, it's not as though one cannot enjoy. I recall some holidays in CM when Takky Baby was still in power and declared a grog free day.

Bless their hearts, the sweethearts at the bar fed me 'coffee' all night. Best bloody coffee I ever drank. Kept me awake long enough until I collapsed from 'caffeine toxicity'.

The only sucky part of all this is that not everyone can share in the good fortune. As people have rightfully said, others will miss out on much needed Baht.

I will have a drink for them all the same.

Cheers n beers.

Big Paulee.

What about holidays in the Christmas time 20 dec to 01 january . Does enybody know about them ? Im comming down to sell my house. Too bad if land and department office are cloased due to my week down there.

Thanks for a reply

Remember that Thailand is a Buddhist Country. Christmas is for commercial reasons only here (as it is now back home, whever that may be). Last year on Christmas Day, my Rubbish (Trash) was collected as normal by the council bin men and all the children went to School locally.

Now lets talk of New Year, and that is when EVERYTHING stops in Thailand for days and days.

Thailand is a Buddhist Country .... for now. The people who lead the coup are actually Muslim ... yes, the Thai military is Muslim lead ... lets see what happens now.

virgil, out!

What about holidays in the Christmas time 20 dec to 01 january . Does enybody know about them ? Im comming down to sell my house. Too bad if land and department office are cloased due to my week down there.

Thanks for a reply

Remember that Thailand is a Buddhist Country. Christmas is for commercial reasons only here (as it is now back home, whever that may be). Last year on Christmas Day, my Rubbish (Trash) was collected as normal by the council bin men and all the children went to School locally.

Now lets talk of New Year, and that is when EVERYTHING stops in Thailand for days and days.

Thailand is a Buddhist Country .... for now. The people who lead the coup are actually Muslim ... yes, the Thai military is Muslim lead ... lets see what happens now.

virgil, out!

more dry days in the bars ,its been a lean year and is getting leaner :o

Re-posted as my other topic was closed as it was being discussed in this thread, which of course I had previously checked to find it had in actual fact not covered my enquiry. Therefore as my question was not actually asked in this thread previously I have needed to post again as below:-

There seems to be confusion as to whether the 20th is or is not a public holiday. Whilst most newspapers and other media appear to confirm that the 20th is indeed a public holiday, my company suggests that it is for governmental organisations only and not for private companies. Similarly it has also been suggested that it is for Thai employees also.

So the question is - is the 20th designated formally as a a Public holiday irrespective as to whether it is a private or governmental organisation and also, is it applicable to for all of those company's employees?

Would welcome a link or quote to/from any official governement notice etc which clearly defines the above

Edited by esprit

So the question is - is the 20th designated formally as a a Public holiday irrespective as to whether it is a private or governmental organisation and also, is it applicable to for all of those company's employees?

ASK YOUR EMPLOYER. If you ARE the employer, you can do whatever you want. Personally in that case I would not award the holiday unless many of your employees come from far away parts of the country and they actually want to go vote.

BTW, for my company it's business as usual.

Unlike election days, the sale of alcoholic drinks will be allowed on referendum day because it does not come under electoral law.

Well you'd have to be pretty drunk to vote in favour of this piece of trash so in a really really sick perverted way it kind of makes sense.

Re-posted as my other topic was closed as it was being discussed in this thread, which of course I had previously checked to find it had in actual fact not covered my enquiry. Therefore as my question was not actually asked in this thread previously I have needed to post again as below:-

There seems to be confusion as to whether the 20th is or is not a public holiday. Whilst most newspapers and other media appear to confirm that the 20th is indeed a public holiday, my company suggests that it is for governmental organisations only and not for private companies. Similarly it has also been suggested that it is for Thai employees also.

Would welcome a link or quote to/from any official governement notice etc which clearly defines the above

The government cannot dictate to the private sector to take a paid public holiday. They only control government offices and enterprises. Government offices and enterprises have many more holidays then most private sector companies.

My [private sector] company is allowing Thai employees to take vacation day if they have to vote outside Bangkok. Otherwise business as usual. For our main [government enterprise] client, every employee, including farangs, have the day off with pay.

TH

I can't quite understand the importance of whether banks are open or not. I mean, the important question is already answered to they serve alcohol and will the ATM's be functioning!

Actually, what exactly is the significance of banks being open or closed, especially now that they have a lot of branches in shopping malls etc.