Drunken Welshman Gets 6 Weeks

Darlek

Businessman Jailed for Air Rage

By Pat Hurst, PA News

A businessman was jailed for six weeks today after a drunken air rage rampage aboard a jumbo jet.

Michael Jones, 47, downed six brandies, lit a cigarette, swore at flight crew, and scuffled with fellow passengers aboard a 747 jet from Bangkok to Heathrow last New Year?s Eve.

Eventually he had to be handcuffed and strapped into his seat, Isleworth Crown Court in west London was told.

Jones, from Swansea, a former car dealer, was a platinum Business Class card-holder with Thai Airlines and had travelled regularly to Bangkok for business and pleasure and in the Far East, the court heard.

He was on the home leg of a business trip when the air rage incident happened, said Mr David Smith, prosecuting.

?Mr Jones was treated to some complimentary drinks on the flight and when the flight attendant was asked to serve him, he requested three triple brandies.

?There came a point when flight crew took the view he was drunk and should not drink for another hour at least.

?This did not make him happy at all,? Mr Smith added.

Jones then began swearing and got out of his seat and walked unsteadily to the back of the plane.

He got more and more abusive and eventually lit up a cigarette at the back of the plane.

This was taken from him and he went back to his seat. Six other passengers then approached him to try to get him to calm down and a scuffle broke out, Mr Smith said.

?The captain issued the authority for Mr Jones to be restrained and he was handcuffed. He continued to struggle, was placed in his chair and strapped across the chest and legs to try to prevent him from misbehaving although he continued to protest,? Mr Smith added.

When then plane touched down at Heathrow he was arrested by police telling officers: ?I?m sorry, I?m not usually like that.?

Jones, from Swansea Road, Swansea, pleaded guilty to one count of drunkenness on a aircraft and one count of threatening and abusive behaviour on an aircraft.

Jailing him for six weeks, Judge Sam Katkhuda said: ?This sort of threatening behaviour whilst drunk, by passengers in aircraft is becoming far too prevalent.

?In this court we have to deal with increasing numbers of cases from Heathrow Airport of airline travellers who behave in this manner towards other passengers having got themselves the worse for alcohol.

?The safety of the aircraft itself and other passengers may have been put in jeopardy, a relatively small incident on an aircraft in flight might have catastrophic consequences that might not always be foreseen.?

Jones was given six weeks on each count to run concurrently.

Huw Rees-Davies, defending, said Jones had been in a car accident shortly before the flight, had taken pain killers and ?dosed himself up? before getting on the plane and going on to drink.

He said within the last month Jones had been arrested for drink driving and had a problem with alcohol. Before the air rage incident Jones had never been unemployed but was now out of work.

Whatever is a platinum frequent flyer's card issued by Thai Airways ? It must be a super new offering.

No mention of this new "super elite" card in the Thai Airways FF news that arrived in the post last week. Maybe the british/welsh press are a trifle confused :o

Three months in prison costs the tax payer how much?

He should be publicly flogged.

He's not gonna be in prison for three months.

He was sentenced to six weeks on each charge "to run concurrently NOT accumulatively

With any luck (for him) he will do about 4 weeks if he is a good boy. :o

Nodody is usually like that,...

BC You've never had a Fri night out in Wales then?

Theres some places you would'nt drink unless you had "air support" :D

Yes I do agree RC, I have been out in Wales and I also have run a pub in Alice Springs - I know where I would rather be.

Never mention the rugby in Wales :o

Under 4 Years you do 50% of your bird,6 week sentence he will do 3 weeks, he will be in Worwood Scrubs, local nick in Acton, west london, 24 hour Remote tv and hot water kettle in every cell, decent Library, decent food, and get to meet all sorts of interesting people.

If he had got a little longer, he may have had a holiday stay at HMP Ford open Prison in beautiful Arundel.........where he could have been playing Lawn Bowls in the early summer evenings, before retiring to his own room, to read boks from the excellent library, and sleeping off the enourmous meals you get in the self service canteen.

Some things in UK are better than the same things in Thailand.

Under 4 Years you do 50% of your bird,6 week sentence he will do 3 weeks, he will be in Worwood Scrubs, local nick in Acton, west london, 24 hour Remote tv and hot water kettle in every cell, decent Library, decent food, and get to meet all sorts of interesting people.

If he had got a little longer, he may have had a holiday stay at HMP Ford open Prison in beautiful Arundel.........where he could have been playing Lawn Bowls in the early summer evenings, before retiring to his own room, to read boks from the excellent library, and sleeping off the enourmous meals you get in the self service canteen.

Wow! I would like to plan my next 3-week holiday there! How much money would it cost?

Jones, from Swansea, a former car dealer,
Six weeks for air rage and six months for being a car dealer.
Wow! I would like to plan my next 3-week holiday there! How much money would it cost

If you were a guest of her Majesty, nothing.

Taxpayers, at a rough guess an arm and a leg.

Wow! I would like to plan my next 3-week holiday there! How much money would it cost?

That's why so many overseas criminals operate in nice countries like England, the prisons offer a better lifestyle than they get in their own country if they do happen to get caught. Many Non violent criminals in the system can usually end up in a catagory 'D' prison, like Ford or North sea camp, the same Place Jeffery Archer was in. George best and Lester Piggot where both in Ford, Besty used to play for Ford Prison football team years ago, they had a cricket team also. But as relaxed as those places are, its still a prison, you can walk out the gate and down the road if you want, but you will never get a Cat D again when they catch you escaping.

And if you make any breach of rules when you are in a Cat 'D' nick, you get Blocked and shipped out back to a lock up very quickly.

I hear Dutch prisons are very good, there is a waiting list to get in them i think :o

That's why so many overseas criminals operate in nice countries like England, the prisons offer a better lifestyle than they get in their own country if they do happen to get caught.

I don't think I can fully agree with this one. I think I can agree more if it was said "That's why so many overseas criminals operate in nice countries like England, the prisons offer a better lifestyle than they get in their own country even if they do happen not to get caught."

I believe there are quite a few people in this world who would be more than happy just if they could spend their entire life in some of the prisons mentioned above.