Lending Money

Paleface

Thank you all for your replys. Its sad to say, but my neighbor was the only one in town that I felt would pay me back. The guy who built our house asked to borrow 6k and I told him I valued our friendship to much and so I refused.

When I was about 20, I lent a very good friend $300, to be repaid in 30 days. I got lame excuse after lamer excuses for 2 years. Some excuses were even repeats (income tax returns etc). As a last resort I asked one more time and after the sob story, I punched him in the mouth very hard, and did the blood ever fly! The next morning he was at my door with the money. He shoved it in my hand and said, "there, happy now?" I hated to resort to violence, but it worked.

As some of you have said, a hundred bucks, thats not bad. I dont even care about the money. Just like back home, the end of a friendship over a little money.

Oh well, mai pen lai, The Paleface bank is officially closed.

Thanks for this thread because i lent a freind (thai) 70.000tb last year and i got back 60.000 some 2 months later and i forgot there is still 10.000 outstanding,

i,m on the phone now :D:D

Update Me !

Have wrote off the 10k outstanding.

Ah Never Mind I forgot is was owed Anyway :o

i have my life rules to refer to, when i refer to them on choices i'm fine. when i stray is where i get screwed. no particular order.

1)never lend money you can't afford to lose

2)when given information evaluate the source/believe what you see not what you hear.

3)tall men stand on the shoulders of other men, this is more of a reasoning for me.

4)if you rely on other people you get let down or if you expect things from others.

5)no one is going to do a better job for you than you.

6)there are so rare good people out there, assume that the person who offers to help you will ask for a favor when done.

7)advice is free, hear all and choose your own.

8)arguments happen when one party doesn't have all the facts in which to base an educated conclusion. (most arguments end one one party says a fact/reason on the matter that the other was unaware of)

i guess as you can tell my life has been full of lows and let downs by those around me. For those of you who have not recieved your money back from some shady person, look at it as if you've paid them to stay out of your life.

Honesty and integrity is not some of the finer qualities found in thailand many times. Believing in the good in people always seems to come back and bite most of us.

Now if I had made that statement everybody would have said, that I am 'bigotted, cynical, etc' (the list is endless)

BUT, you endorse my long held views and opinions. :D

Admittedly some farangs are no better but if you use the story about why "white sheep have more wool than black sheep, which is because there are more of them" (white sheep) so therefore as there are more natives in the realm than expats the same comparisons can be made. :o

Honesty and integrity is not some of the finer qualities found in thailand many times. Believing in the good in people always seems to come back and bite most of us.

Now if I had made that statement everybody would have said, that I am 'bigotted, cynical, etc' (the list is endless)

BUT, you endorse my long held views and opinions. :D

Admittedly some farangs are no better but if you use the story about why "white sheep have more wool than black sheep, which is because there are more of them" (white sheep) so therefore as there are more natives in the realm than expats the same comparisons can be made. :o

How many Thai people do you know well enough to lend money to?

In my limited experience, farangs generally lend money to farangs and lose it, as is the case with me.

I've lent small amounts to Thai's knowing it was gone for good... and it was of course, never got it back.

I've lent small amount's to Westerners and got it back around 50 percent of the time.

What I want to know is this. If a Thai lends a Thai money, will they give it back??? In my experience Thai's nearly always return money to Thai's.

I sincerely believe their attitude is such that they think we can afford to lose the money and so they take advantage of that.

In my girls home village, I have a stream of Thai men approach me at social gatherings, when they compliment me on something, usually my looks or my beautiful girlfriend etc etc only to follow it immediately with a request for a cigarette. After I hand them a cigarette, they ask for 2 more for their friends.

Now, when this happens, I compliment them in return... and point them to the 7-11. I'm wiser now.

BUT, you endorse my long held views and opinions. :wub:

Admittedly some farangs are no better but if you use the story about why "white sheep have more wool than black sheep, which is because there are more of them" (white sheep) so therefore as there are more natives in the realm than expats the same comparisons can be made. :D

John, interesting point about farangs. My experiences with expats living here has quite often left me feeling like giving them a wide berth.

I think part of that feeling comes from the fact I feel the Thais are much more predictable, much more open and negtoiable, than most expats I know. Not all, mind you, but most, in my experience.

Looking at the comment about 'relying on the goodness in people', sounds like something I say, on occasion :o

Thinking now, that's not really true for me. It's more like, 'I trust people to do what I expect of them'.

I expect more than I get from most farangs, but I can't say that for most Thais....And that's not to say my expectations are lower, either. But my expectations differ more, for the person, and for the situation.

I know I tend to group farangs together more, simply because they are so unpredictable, from my view. There are many more commonalities among Thais than there are among farang expats here, in my experience. I just feel I can work the Thai system here better because I feel more familiar...and more confident :D

I also admit part of my negativity about some farangs comes from the fact I don't drink, and never have. Just not my lifestyle, or stimulant of choice... :D I don't have much tolerance for drunks, either. I appreciate civil behaviour and people with open and reasonable thinking, but that's not what I see much of social situations with farangs. I really believe many vistors here could learn a lot from the civility (even the facade) of Thais. It certainly DOES impress locals...

But, about money....Give, but never loan. :D

BUT, you endorse my long held views and opinions. :wub:

Admittedly some farangs are no better but if you use the story about why "white sheep have more wool than black sheep, which is because there are more of them" (white sheep) so therefore as there are more natives in the realm than expats the same comparisons can be made. :D

John, interesting point about farangs. My experiences with expats living here has quite often left me feeling like giving them a wide berth.

I think part of that feeling comes from the fact I feel the Thais are much more predictable, much more open and negtoiable, than most expats I know. Not all, mind you, but most, in my experience.

Looking at the comment about 'relying on the goodness in people', sounds like something I say, on occasion :o

Thinking now, that's not really true for me. It's more like, 'I trust people to do what I expect of them'.

I expect more than I get from most farangs, but I can't say that for most Thais....And that's not to say my expectations are lower, either. But my expectations differ more, for the person, and for the situation.

I know I tend to group farangs together more, simply because they are so unpredictable, from my view. There are many more commonalities among Thais than there are among farang expats here, in my experience. I just feel I can work the Thai system here better because I feel more familiar...and more confident :D

I also admit part of my negativity about some farangs comes from the fact I don't drink, and never have. Just not my lifestyle, or stimulant of choice... :D I don't have much tolerance for drunks, either. I appreciate civil behaviour and people with open and reasonable thinking, but that's not what I see much of social situations with farangs. I really believe many vistors here could learn a lot from the civility (even the facade) of Thais. It certainly DOES impress locals...

But, about money....Give, but never loan. :D

and rarely give.

What I want to know is this. If a Thai lends a Thai money, will they give it back??? In my experience Thai's nearly always return money to Thai's.

My wife knows of a few cases where Thais have not paid back Thais. Thais screw everyone, it seems, not just farangs.

Her cousin got married recently, and her best friend was given the task of collecting all the cash donations. Then went off with it. They still see each other, but the friend always makes excuses for not giving her the money. I would send her big brother round as a debt collector, but the cousin is too timid (nice) to do that. Which of course is what her 'friend' relies upon. And why so many decent people here get stepped on by the selfish bastards.

Also at the wedding, some of the guests stole a large amount of the booze for the party. TIT I suppose.

I once lent 5000 baht to my father in law so he could buy some buffalo (really! And I saw them too), but I knew it wasn't a loan so that's okay. I also recently lent 20,000 baht to a close friend of the family for his daughter's wedding dowry, with the intention that the bridegrooms father would give it right back to the bride's father (the childish saving face garbage that Thais indulge in).

The problem was, the girl was the 16-year old daughter of a poor taxi driver from Isaan and the boy was the son of the apartment building's rich owner. The girl's mother saw dollar signs, and the boy sensibly backed out. (The daughter had apparently slept with him, which in mothers eyes gave leverage for the wedding). So there was no wedding, but the money I was promised back within a week is still missing four months later. The excuse, eventully, was an accident with the taxi that had to be paid for, and finally today the driver has gone back home to get the money from his bank. Now I wait to see if the money appears or not.

Guess what I'll say if I'm asked again to make a loan.

I would say very very wrong.(but everyone have different experiences)

Chinese?(As I live in HK) Same same.

Farangs? no experience.(don't know)

So, give! don't lend! So many bad experiences!

I lent a Thai girl i know in Bangkok 20,000 baht once she paid me back in 2 x 10,000 baht instalments, maybe about 4 months total.

2 Months later, she called me again and asked if i could lend her 15,000 Baht, she paid me back before, so why not. 2, months past, 3,4,5,6 months nothing, i contacted her and she said that she was having some problems and was starting a new business and that she could not pay me at that time and please not to be mad at  her cos she  will not forget she owes me money.

Another year past. I had given it up, then about 4 weeks ago i turn on my pc, and there she is on MSN, she immediately sent me a message, asking for an account number to send the 15,000 baht to, i gave her the number, she went immediately to an ATM and transferred the money.

I have lent Thai girls in Pattaya money and got it back 80%  of the time.

Lending Farangs money is the most costly in my opinion.

My friend borrowed 60,000 Baht from me, i never saw 1 Baht back, 3 - 4 years now,guy from Jersey, lived in Bkk, maybe still does.

Another guy that owned a Bar in Pattaya borrowed 25,000 Baht from me, it took 2 years to get my money back in very small instalments, but at least i got it back.

Another was 3000 Baht, just until Friday when my money comes, he pissed off on the Thursday owing money all over town.

In my experience in Thailand, Farang are the most likely not to pay you back.

Especially the Farangs that survive in Thailand with a low paid job or a very small income from elsewhere. How can they pay you back, they can't, so they just tell lies.

Hi Beg,

I would like to be your friend...

Actually I am also planning to open up a business.. Around 100,000 bht will be fine for the start.. :o

Hey I thought everyone who owned a bar in Pattaya was Velly rich man? :D

A few years ago my wife co-signed a loan for 15000 baht for a couple that ran a resturant down the soi,a couple of weeks later they took off owing quite a lot of money to a few people. We never heard from the bank so i guess they paid the money back. They ripped off one poor old man for 10000 baht The really sad thing is that the women made the best Tom Yum around :o