Lending Money

Paleface

I hate lending money. Usually, I have to ask for it back and then Im the ###### and the friendship is over.

A neighbor who is Thai and a school teacher borrowed 4,000 B for his daughters schooling. There was no mention of repayment and I wasnt going to ask for interest.

Two months later, he said he would pay me back next month. Six months later, they added a new bathroom, then a new kitchen, then new tile floor throughout the house. Then a delivery truck came with new furniture. Then a new mobile, thier 3rd. Then to top it off, a used, but very nice Toyota. They have a pickup and the wife doesnt drive.

Its been 2 years and they avoid us like the plague. My wife is not mad but its on her mind. I dont care at all about the money but I feel they are being very disrespectful to us and I considered us friends before.

My wife wants to ask for the money back but I said I will never ask as it will make the tension between us unpleasant. Also, I said we can use it to our advantage. Now when people want to borrow we can say we cant now because we have too much lent out and none has come back.

I would like to know if others have been through this, what they did and the results.

I tell people in my religion its bad luck to lend someone money.

I tell them my fabricated story of how I lent a family 10,000 baht

and minutes later they all died in a firy car accident, all people burned

to a crisp and heads chopped off and the ghosts still

come back and haunt my soi.

This does the trick everytime, Thais are very superstitious.

I hate lending money. Usually, I have to ask for it back and then Im the ###### and the friendship is over.

A neighbor who is Thai and a school teacher borrowed 4,000 B for his daughters schooling. There was no mention of repayment and I wasnt going to ask for interest.

Two months later, he said he would pay me back next month. Six months later, they added a new bathroom, then a new kitchen, then new tile floor throughout the house. Then a delivery truck came with new furniture. Then a new mobile, thier 3rd. Then to top it off, a used, but very nice Toyota. They have a pickup and the wife doesnt drive.

Its been 2 years and they avoid us like the plague. My wife is not mad but its on her mind. I dont care at all about the money but I feel they are being very disrespectful to us and I considered us friends before.

My wife wants to ask for the money back but I said I will never ask as it will make the tension between us unpleasant. Also, I said we can use it to our advantage. Now when people want to borrow we can say we cant now because we have too much lent out and none has come back.

I would like to know if others have been through this, what they did and the results.

Fortunately it was a small amount. But yeah I get hung up on the principle concept as well.

I would think of it as a cheap lesson in finding out just how ###### up your neighbors are.

Your neighbor is basically saying #### you.

I know it's hard but they are actually the ones with the problem. In their mind and hearts, not yours. You tried to do something good.

Don't let their bad behaviour continue to effect you so long after over a hundred bucks.

On the other hand getting purely philosophical, this is a way of you getting some karma, so be glad you have worked it off.

My wife's mom once "lost" a pair of diamond earings the same day they fired a maid. Interesting coincedence don't ya" think?

I asked my wife why her mom didn't seem at all upset. She said Thai people beleive that, good that this happened instead of some accident or something worse.

Thai people belive that everything is karma.

You're that much closer to Buddha now... :o

In my opinion here you don't lend money to Thai's, you give it to them.

I have been stung in the past buy never again,

I tell them lending money to friends does two things, you lose your money and you lose your friends and you are too good a friend to lose.

So no sorry

I think that you were lucky that it was only 4,000 baht.

I lent a much larger sum and the woman is now planning a visit to Australia and whilst I have got some of my money back there is still a tidy sum outstanding.

And thats not the only bad debtor I have on my list at the moment either (OK so I'm a slow learner)

Now I ask for some collateral which I hold until the money is all repaid.

And whilst not appropriate in your case, if a female asks to borrow money I tell her to go take a shower and wait in the bedroom and she can start to pay for the money she wants to borrow.

In my opinion here you don't lend money to Thai's, you give it to them.

I have been stung in the past buy never again,

I tell them lending money to friends does two things, you lose your money and you lose your friends and you are too good a friend to lose.

This is correct maerim as lending money to a Thai is exactly the same as flushing it down the toilet. :o

I tell people in my religion its bad luck to lend someone money.

I tell them my fabricated story of how I lent a family 10,000 baht

and minutes later they all died in a firy car accident, all people burned

to a crisp and heads chopped off and the ghosts still

come back and haunt my soi.

This does the trick everytime, Thais are very superstitious.

love it

Six months later, they added a new bathroom, then a new kitchen, then new tile floor throughout the house. Then a delivery truck came with new furniture. Then a new mobile, thier 3rd. Then to top it off, a used, but very nice Toyota.

Wow All that for 4000 bht, I'm moving to thailand !!!!!

chok dee

I lent a Thai girl i know in Bangkok 20,000 baht once she paid me back in 2 x 10,000 baht instalments, maybe about 4 months total.

2 Months later, she called me again and asked if i could lend her 15,000 Baht, she paid me back before, so why not. 2, months past, 3,4,5,6 months nothing, i contacted her and she said that she was having some problems and was starting a new business and that she could not pay me at that time and please not to be mad at her cos she will not forget she owes me money.

Another year past. I had given it up, then about 4 weeks ago i turn on my pc, and there she is on MSN, she immediately sent me a message, asking for an account number to send the 15,000 baht to, i gave her the number, she went immediately to an ATM and transferred the money. She was now in a position to pay me back and thanked me for being so patient, and she was sorry it took so long.

I have lent Thai girls in Pattaya money and got it back 80% of the time.

Lending Farangs money is the most costly in my opinion.

My friend borrowed 60,000 Baht from me, i never saw 1 Baht back, 3 - 4 years now,guy from Jersey, lived in Bkk, maybe still does.

Another guy that owned a Bar in Pattaya borrowed 25,000 Baht from me, it took 2 years to get my money back in very small instalments, but at least i got it back.

Another was 3000 Baht, just until Friday when my money comes, he pissed off on the Thursday owing money all over town.

In my experience in Thailand, Farang are the most likely not to pay you back.

Especially the Farangs that survive in Thailand with a low paid job or a very small income from elsewhere. How can they pay you back, they can't, so they just tell lies.

I lent a Thai girl i know in Bangkok 20,000 baht once she paid me back in 2 x 10,000 baht instalments, maybe about 4 months total.

2 Months later, she called me again and asked if i could lend her 15,000 Baht, she paid me back before, so why not. 2, months past, 3,4,5,6 months nothing, i contacted her and she said that she was having some problems and was starting a new business and that she could not pay me at that time and please not to be mad at her cos she will not forget she owes me money.

Another year past. I had given it up, then about 4 weeks ago i turn on my pc, and there she is on MSN, she immediately sent me a message, asking for an account number to send the 15,000 baht to, i gave her the number, she went immediately to an ATM and transferred the money.

My friend borrowed 60,000 Baht from me, i never saw 1 Baht back, 3 - 4 years now,guy from Jersey, lived in Bkk, maybe still does.

Another guy that owned a Bar in Pattaya borrowed 25,000 Baht from me, it took 2 years to get my money back in very small instalments, but at least i got it back.

Another was 3000 Baht, just until Friday when my money comes, he pissed off on the Thursday owing money all over town.

Especially the Farangs that survive in Thailand with a low paid job or a very small income from elsewhere. How can they pay you back, they can't, so they just tell lies.

Hi Beg,

I would like to be your friend...

Actually I am also planning to open up a business.. Around 100,000 bht will be fine for the start.. :o

Ouch Sound like people I know in the states :o

Chok Dee

Thepnakhon

Like many people, I have also been burned before, by various 'friends' around the world. Been lucky that I haven't lost much.

These days I only lend to close family in Thailand ( my German family are all much better of than me) and always got it back so far. If a friend asks me to borrow 5000bt, I give him 500, explaining I only give what I can live without, and I don't expect it to be given back, so it's not an issue to interfere with the friendship. Most of the time it has come back one way or the other, though.

This is correct maerim as lending money to a Thai is exactly the same as flushing it down the toilet. :o

That's borderlining on quite a bigotted remark! Please! Caucasians are equally as bad. People around the world don't say,

"Neither lender to a Thai nor borrower be" or

"If you want to lose a THAI friend, lend him money". Point made???

Paleface, I know it's the principle of it all and not so much the money. It's the principle with most things, isn't it? However, consider it a small price to pay to learn what your 'friends' are really like.

Never lend what can't afford to lose. :o

A good maxim.

Never lend without collateral is another good one.

Ask the Thai for the Registration book for their car or

the Land Registration Paper as collateral.

If that hand it over you have a lever, otherwise they may think twice about the loan.

Quoting interest at local rates, 20 per month, will also make people think twice.

Yes I know that is usury, but it is what the local money lenders will ask!!

Another year past. I had given it up, then about 4 weeks ago i turn on my pc, and there she is on MSN, she immediately sent me a message, asking for an account number to send the 15,000 baht to, i gave her the number, she went immediately to an ATM and transferred the money. She was now in a position to pay me back and thanked me for being so patient, and she was sorry it took so long.

MJE in pattaya owes me several million baht, court date next month and hope criminal charges are brought on them. Long story.......

Had MBMG in Pattaya invest some of the money that was collected several years back and I think a monkey throwing darts could of done a better job investing the money.

I ended up wasting 4 years investment time to get back 3000 lbs out of 28,000.

This is not alot of money to me but if another foreigner in Thailand is involved in it

I stay away and they hit the ###### list. I do not have much respect for people who end up in Thailand living off less than what they would need in their own country. It definetly shows a lack of character and esteem

My tale involves my wifes (evil, money grabbing, vicious) family.. Even my wife had cut pretty much all ties to them (they abandonded her as a small child her life story was a heartbreaker)...

Anyway upon her death the family come to get clothes the dress the body... I caught her mother and sister trying to pilfer her gold (3 and 4 baht bracelet and chain) and when caught red handed they said it was to burn with the body (yeah right, I had a close friend of the wife explain put a token piece of 'personal' jewelry in there and as it has just past valentines day I had a pefect small but sentimental item to use..

Then came the funeral arrnagments.. The tried to do everything as cheaply as possible (no flowers.. One cheap paper reath.. etc) luckily close Thai friends helped me and pretty much attacked the family about these issues.. They claimed poverty (not true as many of them are not badly off) and asked me to pawn the gold to pay for the ceremony and the family contributions would reclaim it at the end.. I had no desire to allow this to happen so kick started the whole thing with 20k on the strict witnessed agreement that this would be repaid (or at least mostly) by the family contributions.

Needless to say when they found out that a farnag was paying very few contributions were forthcoming... Many of Kims real friends made sure I was paid directly instead of the family which helped a bit but my wishes and requests for the funeral were totally ignored (temple location, flowers etc) I paid another 10k or so in making it as nice as any of these events can be (almost an entire flower shops contents, food on tap non stop, No alcohol from my pocket).

At the end of the few days of grieving at the temple her sister had a purse / bag stuffed with cash donations from the family.. At the time money was the last thing on my mind (I was then and still am wrecked by this event.. She was my soulmate and all my life plans revolved around our future) and figured with an event like this who would cheat ?? I was told see you tomorrow or the next day to settle.

Directly after the funeral the sister went on a shopping spree to BKK (by plane not bus) for new clothes mobile etc.. Needless to say I am still hounding for the 20k initally lent and witnessed.

My poor Angels family were perhaps the single worst group of Thai's I have ever had the missfortune to deal with in a close setting.. It really soured me in a way that has / is taking a long time to recover from and gain perspective that not everyone comes from the same mold.

I consider the money aspect pretty much behind me.. It was the last gift I will ever be able to give her...

The emotions will follow me for the rest of my life...

It was many and many a year ago,

In a kingdom by the sea,

That a maiden there lived whom you may know

By the name of ANNABEL LEE;

And this maiden she lived with no other thought

Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,

In this kingdom by the sea;

But we loved with a love that was more than love-

I and my Annabel Lee;

With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven

Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,

In this kingdom by the sea,

A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling

My beautiful Annabel Lee;

So that her highborn kinsman came

And bore her away from me,

To shut her up in a sepulchre

In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,

Went envying her and me-

Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,

In this kingdom by the sea)

That the wind came out of the cloud by night,

Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love

Of those who were older than we-

Of many far wiser than we-

And neither the angels in heaven above,

Nor the demons down under the sea,

Can ever dissever my soul from the soul

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side

Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,

In the sepulchre there by the sea,

In her tomb by the sounding sea.

Obviously its Edgar Allen Poe (he died of a broken heart shortly afer she passed).. I often used to replace Annabel Lee with Sweet Kimmy as it works in sylables and rhyme... To be honest I still cant read it without welling up..

Tommow is 5 months since her passing..

Sorry for the OT.. Not even sure why I put it here I guess its just on my mind at this point of every month.

Obviously its Edgar Allen Poe (he died of a broken heart shortly afer she passed).. I often used to replace Annabel Lee with Sweet Kimmy as it works in sylables and rhyme... To be honest I still cant read it without welling up..

Tommow is 5 months since her passing..

Sorry for the OT.. Not even sure why I put it here I guess its just on my mind at this point of every month.

My Thoughts are with you at this very sad time , try to hang on in there.

Honesty and integrity is not some of the finer qualities found in thailand many times. Believing in the good in people always seems to come back and bite most of us. Don't loan money and don't take business cards from someone if you are not looking for their service. Putting trust into those that earn 30% of what they would earn doing the same work back home is not wise. Live and learn and what comes around goes around. Get a good lawyer and some locals and most likely

you will get something back. Don't feel sorry for those that choose to work for low wages than earning money back home. As they say they wanted the local style so let them get their loans from the street corner local style. It takes a better man that will sacrifice some time with the family to make them a decent living than one that is wrapped up in himself and will eck out a poor existance with no future.

Took me a long time to realize these are the same people that will be dishonest

and try to prey on the good of others. These are the same people that will try to get their families the benefits the rest of us tax payers pay for. When it comes to money or women don't trust anyone.