Business Woman Falls Victim Of Highway Robbery

george

Business woman falls victim of highway robbery

BANGKOK: -- Four thieves intentionally caused a minor accident before assaulting and robbing a 50-year-old businesswoman as she drove her Mercedes Benz in Bangkok's Nong Chok district on Wednesday morning.

Although police shot at the vehicle's tyre, preventing the thieves from driving further along Rom Klao Road, the assailants managed to hail a taxi and get away with Bt27,000 in cash from the victim.

Orapin Sermprapasil, 50, a furniture exporter, sustained bruises on her face. She told police she was driving on Suwinthawong Road to her SPS Intertech Co in Muang Chachoengsao when the four thieves rammed their pick-up-truck into the rear of her car, prompting her to pull over to negotiate about the damages. Two of the thieves got out to talk with her but then started punching her in the face, so she pretended to pass out. She said three of the thieves then drove away in her Benz while the other followed in the pick-up truck towards the outbound lane of Suwinthawong Road.

To avoid police checkpoints, the thieves made a U-turn onto Rom Klao Road, where they attempted to break through another checkpoint near a motorway exit. A Lat Krabang police officer shot at the Benz 3-4 times causing the front left tyre to burst, but the thieves drove for another 12 kilometres along the motorway before abandoning the car and taking a taxi heading to Chachoengsao.

Police collected fingerprints from the Benz and found the victim's Bt27,000 cash in her purse left inside.

Orapin's brother, Weerasak Sermprapasil, said his sister told him that she called for help but the area was noisy from the traffic and no one heard her so she pretended to pass out until the thieves escaped and she could alert the police.

Weerasak suspected the attack was planned ahead, as the thieves seemed to know that his sister frequently used the route. He said his sister had no conflicts with anyone.

-- The Nation 2007-08-08

it wasn't about the money - the robbers would steal her purse and escape in a pick up. They rather wanted her car - but how were they able to drive 12 kilometres after being shot at and not being followed by the police?

Is it just me that's glad I wasn't around when a trigger happy boy in brown discharged his sidearm? Don't these guys realize that bullets ricochet?

ps will also bring new meaning to the concept of a rim job when she has to replace her ruined rim................

Geriatrickid says; "Is it just me that's glad I wasn't around when a trigger happy boy in brown discharged his sidearm? Don't these guys realize that bullets ricochet?"

I applaud the cop for shooting - that's why he carries a loaded weapon. Too bad he didn't shoot the nose off one of the thieves.

the assailants managed to hail a taxi and get away with Bt27,000 in cash from the victim.

Police collected fingerprints from the Benz and found the victim's Bt27,000 cash in her purse left inside.

Is it me or is this totally two opposite statements? Am I the only one that has a hard time getting facts from these reports?

Damian

the assailants managed to hail a taxi and get away with Bt27,000 in cash from the victim.

Is it me or is this totally two opposite statements? Am I the only one that has a hard time getting facts from these reports?

Damian

No, I didn't get that one either. Thought there might be an update which clarified.

Regards

Damian

No, I didn't get that one either. Thought there might be an update which clarified.

Regards

Take it as a reminder to be wary of *any* fact presented in newspapers.

If this is the way the situation actually happened, my condolences to the lady.

That said, I can't help but wonder what really happened. The thieves didn't take the 27,000 baht, but I am wondering if there was something more valuable that they were after that wasn't mentioned. (And I don't think they were after the car itself).