The Men In Blue Jackets

colino

just thought id mention had a nightmare trip back to los,,had a 6 hour delay in doha arrived at suvarnabhumi immergration totaly knackerd and saw the new posters asking for passport. landing card. boarding card .and return ticket. or e-ticket. got through that ok got my bags and walked out passed the taxi gangs then two guys walked up and opened there jackets and showed me there badges and told me that they were tax and duty inspectors ,and could i let them search my bag, i had heard of this before and thought it was a scam , so i stood my ground and said no but i will go back to customs hall with you ,so we walked off but not to customs they had a little area glased off next to the arrivals exit and took me in there,, these guys are genuine and told me that i had 2 cartons of cigs to many your only aloud one carton , then told me next time bring only one carton and let me go,

the bit that made me laugh was the young guy said its not good that arab dutyfree shops sell you as many as you want , so i can take it he hasnt been in king power then , buy ten cartons get 10% off 20 = 20%

colino

first time I have ever heard about the customs outside the terminal building - they should be by the xray mashines. Manually inspecting the suitcase is just waste of their time.

There have been threads in the Airport forum. These men are not customs. They belong to a different department.

first time I have ever heard about the customs outside the terminal building - they should be by the xray mashines. Manually inspecting the suitcase is just waste of their time.

There have been threads in the Airport forum. These men are not customs. They belong to a different department.

Thats right they are not customs they told me that they were tax and duty inspectors not customs yes i kept the cigs as it was only 3 cartons but told only 1 next time, they were very fair about it

Edited by colino

just a note that posts like yours tend to pop up from people coming back from the middle east. Apparently a tendency amongst some travellers to smuggle tabacco on that route.

Beleive the guys you ran into were revenue deparment officials.

just a note that posts like yours tend to pop up from people coming back from the middle east. Apparently a tendency amongst some travellers to smuggle tabacco on that route.

Interesting to know and I have never had this problem to date.Isn`t this the job of the customs officer?

Interesting to know and I have never had this problem to date.Isn`t this the job of the customs officer?

Always room in the trough for another snout or three. :o

Thats right they are not customs they told me that they were tax and duty inspectors not customs yes i kept the cigs as it was only 3 cartons but told only 1 next time, they were very fair about it

I just wonder how legal this is?

After all, once you pass through Immigration and, in this case more importantly, Customs you are officially IN Thailand.

Posessing unlimited amounts of tobacco within Thailand is not an offense.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Posessing unlimited amounts of tobacco within Thailand is not an offense.

This isn't quite true....

All cigarette packages in Thailand have a blue / white "Excise Department - Ministry of Finance" sticker. You can have an unlimited amount of these... taxes are paid.

If you have too many packages without the sticker, you are in posession of contraband / illegal goods.

where were those guys when Taxin took 56 large suitcases to Finland for a weekend trip - and who knows how many dozens of other suitcases off to NY and London....

.....and when Pojamin slid twenty something bulging suitcases out the door on her way to Singapore (?)

ha ha, chortle

Customs searches are not just here but back at home too! I have seen HM Customs stop and search cars a mile or so outside Dover as they come up the feeder road to the motorway.

Anyway, you KNOW the allowance, so why cry when you get caught. Even if you have not read the In Flight Mag allowance page, you have seen so many theads on the subject on TV, so do not claim ignorance.

Someone I know was offered a fine of 50,000 Baht (800 quid) or a three months in jail, but he had LOADS, and all in the nice new clear see through bags. Stupid or what. He asked for a second opinion "I want to see your boss", who confirmed the fine/jail term. He paid the 50,000 and got an Official Receipt! :o

In UK the department is 'Customs and Excise' - all under the one umbrella, although different people.

And the 'Revenuers' have greater power than the police - can enter any premises without a warrant, provided they have reasonable suspicion of avoidance of revenue type crimes.

So this is nothing unusual - anywhere. Accept that the guys are doing their job and don't try to put-one-over on them, or Royal Thai Customs.

Here is my thread on the exact same subject

The concensus from Thais in the know is they are not meant to be there.

It's a disgrace this is allowed to happen after you have passed through Customs. Customs surely must be responsible for stopping smugglers of excess Duty Free before you go out into the Arrivals area. As another poster said - it's another corrupt Government agency sticking its nose in the trough. Couldn't have put it better.

Can you imagine a first time visitor being intimidated in this way because he was a few packets of cigarettes over the limit? There was a story about a family who's holiday was ruined because of such behaviour.

The fact that they only appear when a flight from the Middle East arrives indicates this is a well planned and well rehearsed scam to extract tea-money from people who stray over the Duty Free limit.

It's nothing short of blatent harrassment and extortion.

I agree entirely. This is totally unacceptable. And, I've traveled just about everywhere important (and not so important) in this world and I've never seen nor heard of such a thing. Customs is always the last stand to entering any country, and this is just blatant, shameless scam hustling.

In UK the department is 'Customs and Excise' - all under the one umbrella, although different people.

And the 'Revenuers' have greater power than the police - can enter any premises without a warrant, provided they have reasonable suspicion of avoidance of revenue type crimes.

So this is nothing unusual - anywhere. Accept that the guys are doing their job and don't try to put-one-over on them, or Royal Thai Customs.

It is now, HM Revenue & Customs which was formed on the 18 April 2005, following the merger of Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise Departments.

Regards

It's a disgrace this is allowed to happen after you have passed through Customs. Customs surely must be responsible for stopping smugglers of excess Duty Free before you go out into the Arrivals area. As another poster said - it's another corrupt Government agency sticking its nose in the trough. Couldn't have put it better.

Can you imagine a first time visitor being intimidated in this way because he was a few packets of cigarettes over the limit? There was a story about a family who's holiday was ruined because of such behaviour.

The fact that they only appear when a flight from the Middle East arrives indicates this is a well planned and well rehearsed scam to extract tea-money from people who stray over the Duty Free limit.

I agree entirely. This is totally unacceptable. And, I've traveled just about everywhere important (and not so important) in this world and I've never seen nor heard of such a thing. Customs is always the last stand to entering any country, and this is just blatant, shameless scam hustling.

Why is it 'totaly unacceptable 'and just a 'blatent scam hustling'??? Thai regulations were broken..maybe in ignorance or on purpose.The traveler was warned not to do it again.He wasnt asked for any money and the excess cigs were not confiscated. He could easily have been treated much differently. Looking at it

from the fact that he was 300% over the limit I cant see that anything resembling a scam took place.

Why is it 'totaly unacceptable 'and just a 'blatent scam hustling'??? Thai regulations were broken..maybe in ignorance or on purpose.The traveler was warned not to do it again.He wasnt asked for any money and the excess cigs were not confiscated. He could easily have been treated much differently. Looking at it

from the fact that he was 300% over the limit I cant see that anything resembling a scam took place.

I'm not defending the heinous, unconscionable and clearly illegal act by the perp, or the clear Thai right to enforce their own laws. What is unacceptable is that another agency of government is "lurking" outside customs at opportune times in an effort to grab offenders that should have been dealt with by customs, and that this is a unfair to passengers, to have to be subject to additional scrutiny outside customs. It runs against the rules of fair play of international travel. Have you seen this done anywhere else? I didn't think so.

It runs against the rules of fair play of international travel. Have you seen this done anywhere else? I didn't think so.

Yes, I've seen it in the UK as has another poster in this thread. It is not uncommon for UK excise people to check cars a long way distant from the ports etc, particularly on routes which involve cars such as the channel tunnel.

What exactly is your reason for outrage? That having once managed to escape scrutiny at one checkpoint in the airport, those who choose to ignore or flour duty free limits, may or may not have to go through another check?

Wow . . tough breaks.

But, as others have pointed out here, even when caught with a few extra packs of cigarettes, most are warned before being packed off on their way. It seems only the bigger offenders are charged or fined.

It runs against the rules of fair play of international travel. Have you seen this done anywhere else? I didn't think so.

Yes, I've seen it in the UK as has another poster in this thread. It is not uncommon for UK excise people to check cars a long way distant from the ports etc, particularly on routes which involve cars such as the channel tunnel.

What exactly is your reason for outrage? That having once managed to escape scrutiny at one checkpoint in the airport, those who choose to ignore or flour duty free limits, may or may not have to go through another check?

Wow . . tough breaks.

But, as others have pointed out here, even when caught with a few extra packs of cigarettes, most are warned before being packed off on their way. It seems only the bigger offenders are charged or fined.

So, by this logic, you and genissis would have no objection to someone from a related agency of immigration positioned outside customs checking for immigration related offenses - perhaps the ministry of labor checking work permit infractions, making sure retirees are not working illegally, etc.? By the same token, you wouldn't object to any other type of enforcement agency reviewing any number of things?

Of course I agree with security checks, and reasonable enforcement measures. Most of the civilized world agrees this consists of immigration and customs doing that. To have to deal with the inconvenience and hassle of additional "spot checks" for any purpose outside customs sounds like a police state to me. Wait a minute, what did I say?

This is far more widespread then people think. In most cases the rules defining the activities of the revenue officers do allow the considerable leeway. One may pass both immigrattion and customs but still be stopped by officers. It is rare, I have experienced it in the UK arriving sun burnt on a flight from Paris {Origin Southern Africa} exiting both functions {UK citizen} but the being asked for passport etc. by HMC&E. they did however very clearly identify themselves. In this case guess they were behind the 1-way glass {prior to ubiquitous cctv} and wanted to marry up the December Paris arrival with the tan.

Anyone from the subcontinent posting here might well point to similar actions in airports in a number of countries.

Regards

So, by this logic, you and genissis would have no objection to someone from a related agency of immigration positioned outside customs checking for immigration related offenses - perhaps the ministry of labor checking work permit infractions, making sure retirees are not working illegally, etc.? By the same token, you wouldn't object to any other type of enforcement agency reviewing any number of things?

None at all. In fact, all the agencies you quote have the rights to do that anytime they want and occasionally use those rights . . . Department of Labour people requiring you to keep WPs at the office, police allowed to randomly check passports of farangs for immigration violations. What, exactly, is wrong with that?

I'd welcome it. It might more quickly weed out violators, thus improving the lot of people who are here legitimately.

What's your point?

The point is that it's totally unnecessary to have another check in the arrivals area. That's where the red and green channels are for. If they want to check , they should do it there. And not bother people in the already very crowded arrivals area. People have enough trouble to ward off the taxi touts, who can be very annoying.

Ridiculous I have no other word for it. Nice welcome to Thailand for some people no doubt.

None at all. In fact, all the agencies you quote have the rights to do that anytime they want and occasionally use those rights . . . Department of Labour people requiring you to keep WPs at the office, police allowed to randomly check passports of farangs for immigration violations. What, exactly, is wrong with that?

I'd welcome it. It might more quickly weed out violators, thus improving the lot of people who are here legitimately.

What's your point?

My point is that are not many things they do or could do at this airport that bother you are there? Were you this meek and undiscriminating in your home country?

I guess you don't arrive at BKK tired from a long or overnight flight, and would like to get efficiently through formalities and on the road home. Some of us are funny like that. :o

My point is that are not many things they do or could do at this airport that bother you are there? Were you this meek and undiscriminating in your home country?

I guess you don't arrive at BKK tired from a long or overnight flight, and would like to get efficiently through formalities and on the road home. Some of us are funny like that. :o

Weak, very weak. Not up to your usual standards of debate chinthee. Meek and undiscriminating? hahahaha. Yes, that matches my thaivisa posting record perfectly, doesnt it?

In my home country I had to put up with Heathrow, a terrible facility. When you know that, you realise the minor - very minor - hassles of passing through this airport are trivial to the point of being easy. And I should know because I pass through it fortnightly, unlike - I suspect - it's most vocal critics who sound like the occasional tourist.

Perhaps the fact that I'm a frequent traveller is why I find it hard to jump on the 'everything about it sucks cos it's Thailand' bandwagon.

Edited by bendix

Weak, very weak. Not up to your usual standards of debate chinthee. Meek and undiscriminating? hahahaha. Yes, that matches my thaivisa posting record perfectly, doesnt it?

In my home country I had to put up with Heathrow, a terrible facility. When you know that, you realise the minor - very minor - hassles of passing through this airport are trivial to the point of being easy. And I should know because I pass through it fortnightly, unlike - I suspect - it's most vocal critics who sound like the occasional tourist.

Perhaps the fact that I'm a frequent traveller is why I find it hard to jump on the 'everything about it sucks cos it's Thailand' bandwagon.

Yeah, I know you and I are among some of most frequent flyers on this forum. I've always been reasonable in my criticisms of suwannaphoom. But I will always call a spade a spade when I see it. Yeah, I put up with Heathrow weekly for a couple years when I lived in London and BKK of course is a dream compared with that.

And, regarding spot checks outside customs, I've lived in a few real police states where your every move was watched and tailed home too.