Continuing Study In Thailand

Heres another couple of links that i have trawled......

http://www.universityofphoenix.com

Though i'm led to believe they are kinda expensive AND you may have to "pretend" you're living in the states.

The University of phoenix is to the best of my knowledge a degree mill and I wouldn't recommend getting a degree from there as any institute worth it's salt wouldn't recognise it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Would somebody from the UK, Australia, and outer Patagonia care to post the terminology from their home country?"

I will have a go from the UK but it may be hopelessly out of date now and someone please correct me if i am wrong.

When I was at Uni in England a degree was usually 3 years and the honours bit was based on marks ie a First Class Honours being the highest, then a 2:1 then 2:2 then 3rd Class Honours and finally a "Pass" degree

Some engineering degree's and language degree's were 4 years as was the BEd.

If you did not do the BEd and wanted to teach you could follow on your degree with the PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education).

This level basically covered the items taught in the BEd outside specific subject matter (someone please tell me if I am wrong)

There were other post graduate Diploma's which were basically the taught part of a taught Masters without completing the Masters thesis either by choice, not getting high enough markls or the institution did not offer it.

There were basically two sorts of Masters if I remember - by research and taught (I think most who would be able to do a research Masters jumped straight to a PHd - again correc me if I am wrong)

There were other post schoolqualifications and mainly vocational but I am not really up on them - I remember HNC's (Higher National Certificates) and HND's (Higher National Diploma's)

I am sure someone can explain the current situation better than I can - where I am now having a degree is only a tick on the box HR have to complete to get me the correct grade of job and visa (plus experience of course)

Though i'm led to believe they are kinda expensive AND you may have to "pretend" you're living in the states.

The University of phoenix is to the best of my knowledge a degree mill and I wouldn't recommend getting a degree from there as any institute worth it's salt wouldn't recognise it.

Oh. I am sorry if i have posted misleading links.

I have looked at their website and i cant access some of the links on it as its got Java script enabled. However, it does have links to studying either online or on campus and it does seem to have proper subjects.

Are you sure its a degree mill ?

What do you take a degree mill to be? I understood it, (and i may be wrong) that its somewhere where you buy your degree without actually studying. Or have i got that wrong?

Casundra - can you access their website and let us know if it really is a dodgy set up?

and yes ... the above would be inaccurate :o It is a FULLY accredited University in the US

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Thailand is becoming a lot tougher in regards to qualifications these days and this is arguably a good thing. I was just wondering if other posters think it is worth completing a postgraduate diploma. I have a degree, but it is in Nursing Studies and would like something a bit more relevant to my new occupation.

The Open University in the UK is offering an advanced diploma in English studies which can be completed by distance learning. It is a bit expensive and so was wondering if it would improve my employment opportunities in regards to pay.

If your interested in doing it, it wouldnt hurt.

Im also considering a Grad Cert/ Grad Dip is Education majoring in TEFL or TESOL, followed by the Masters in Education (TESOL) options are on campus or distance (I will be returning to Oz shortly for afew years so it wouldnt hurt)

But I'd say, go for it. As long as your keen, I dont think it would be a waste of money.

• 2 weeks later...

For those looking to study(or teach) in Thailand and specifically looking for an International Program. Well here is the list of Universities that I am aware of offering either Undergraduate / graduate education for International Students. Once again, please feel free to add to the list if I have missed anyone.

Assumption University, Bangkok - www.au.edu

Bangkok University, Bangkok - www.bu.ac.th

Burapa University, Chonburi - www.buu.ac.th

Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai - www.cmu.ac.th

Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok - www.chula.ac.th

Dusit Thani College, Bangkok - www.dtc.ac.th

Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen - www.kku.ac.th

King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi, Bangkok - www.kmutt.ac.th

Mae Fah Luang University, Chiang Rai - www.mfu.ac.th

Mahanakorn University of Technology, Bangkok - www.mut.ac.th

Mahidol University, Nakhon Pathom - www.op.mahidol.ac.th

Payap University, Chiang Mai - www.payap.ac.th

Phranakhon Si Ayutthaya Rajabhat University, Ayutthaya - www.aru.ac.th

Raffles Design Institute, Bangkok - www.raffles-design-institute.in.th

Ramkhamgaeng University, Bangkok - www.ru.ac.th

Rangsit University, Pathum Thani - www.ic.rsu.ac.th

Shinawatra University, Pathum Thani - www.shinawatra.ac.th

Silipakorn University, Bangkok - www.su.ac.th

Stamford International University, Cha Am - www.stamford.edu

Sukthothai Thammathirat Open University, Nonthaburi - www.stou.ac.th

Thammasat University, Bangkok - www.interaffair.ac.th

Ubon Rajathanee University, Ubon Rajathanee - www.ubu.ac.th

Uttaradit Rajabhat University, Uttaradit - www.uru.ac.th

Webster University, Bangkok - www.webster.ac.th

I am thinking of doing the following masters degree at Open University in the UK

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01F01

I was just wondering if the wise people of TV think it will be worth it, as it is a bit costly. On the plus side though I will be able to do it from Thailand and this qualification will probably be of more relevance to teaching then my current degree. I know that you can't learn to teach from a book but these bits of paper seem to be getting more important. I previously quit paid teaching here in LOS because I was worried about my qualifications (5 years ago before all the recent problems).

Is It worth it?

Will it greatly increase my job prospects?

BTW, is it possible to get a work permit for teaching part-time?

I know that this post will probably need to be bumped to 'the questions about qualifications' thread but pleassse moderators can you wait till it gets a response. :o

Edited by garro

Ssup garro. The better credentials you posses, the easier and safer you will be in LOS regarding work, although you will pay more for income tax through your employer.

Spend your time back in UK getting your MBA and then get your butt back to LOS asap to start-up. I'm not too sure about permits on part-time, although I do part-time work which in some cases, may seem illegal, but if its in the privacy of an unprepared language center where it does not even exist on the map of hits for the immigration, or if it's held in the privacy of a student's crib, then your totally fine bud. Then again like I said, I'm not sure, so hopefully other educators on the board will assist you out dude, adios.

MBB.

Edited by MioBikerBoyz

Ssup garro. The better credentials you posses, the easier and safer you will be in LOS regarding work, although you will pay more for income tax through your employer.

Spend your time back in UK getting your MBA and then get your butt back to LOS asap to start-up. I'm not too sure about permits on part-time, although I do part-time work which in some cases, may seem illegal, but if its in the privacy of an unprepared language center where it does not even exist on the map of hits for the immigration, or if it's held in the privacy of a student's crib, then your totally fine bud. Then again like I said, I'm not sure, so hopefully other educators on the board will assist you out dude, adios.

MBB.

Thanks Mio, but my reason for wanting to do this particular course is that I can do it part-time, by distance learning, while remaining in LOS. I am originally from Ireland but the course offered by the Open University seems to be the best option. I am not even sure if they will recognise a masters from OU here in Thailand.

I have a friend who was looking into this very degree recently and he discovered that it appears (at the moment) that you cannot register for this course if you are in Thailand- when you selected Master of Education, Thailand is not one of the countries allowed in the drop-down menu for registration. You can do *other* Open University Courses currently in Thailand, and in the past you could register for this one, but not now. I will post if my friend comes up with any further information, and of course if any of you know more please tell us.

"Steven"

I have a friend who was looking into this very degree recently and he discovered that it appears (at the moment) that you cannot register for this course if you are in Thailand- when you selected Master of Education, Thailand is not one of the countries allowed in the drop-down menu for registration. You can do *other* Open University Courses currently in Thailand, and in the past you could register for this one, but not now. I will post if my friend comes up with any further information, and of course if any of you know more please tell us.

"Steven"

Hi Steven, I was thinking of registering from my families address in Ireland. I don't think there is any attendence requirement, just pure coursework. I'll check again.

Be *very* careful about registering under the wrong address- you will have to send in snailmail research papers and tests by overnight mail, you know.

Oh, I didn't consider this :o

I'm doing my 2nd Bachelor degree with the OU. The eTMA system is now activated on all courses AFAIK.

This means that you can submit all of your assignments via the OU website electronically.

Of course some of the assignments may require that you are actually in an OU registered facility to undergo them , but these are indicated in advance when you look at the course details - usually known as timed assignments as well as exams.

HTH

I have been studying with the OU for the past three years. I registered from my folks address in UK. You can definitely not do the courses if you try to register in Thailand. Once or twice during telephone calls that have questioned my location. I post 50/50 from Thailand and UK. I have friends that when going back to UK post some of my assignments. I claim that my job is international just in case they wonder why some posts are from outside UK. As the other poster said a lot of the assignments can now be submitted via email service, although this is my first course in four to have this as a partial option. They also advise that you attend some of the tutorials, but I haven’t been to any since I started.

The difficulty comes in receiving your actual coursework. This has been a logistical nightmare with each new course I start. There are normally two or three big batches of books for each course. The last one cost me 100 pounds to have sent over. I have another in May to sort out. So you need to factor this cost into your expense. For me the first thee units I did were all assignment based. This means I did not have to travel back to the UK for exams. However with my current course I will have to go back in October for exams. Luckily I will work this into a company flight. If you are studying a degree from scratch then it will be a similar situation for the first few courses.

If you can get around all this then I recommend the OU. The course material is very good and the internet service is helpful. It is expensive, but as you say it beats quitting work all together. I have thoroughly enjoyed each of the OU course units that I have done so far even though there is a lot of work involved.

Good luck.

The difficulty comes in receiving your actual coursework. This has been a logistical nightmare with each new course I start. There are normally two or three big batches of books for each course. The last one cost me 100 pounds to have sent over.

Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that. One good point is that they usually send you the text books well in advance of the corresponding blocks, this will give you some leaway in the method you decide on sending the books to Los. Also I notice some 2nd hand textbooks are on sale on ebay, it may be possible to buy the whole lot in advance of starting the course - as long as they haven't been updated since.... :o

I have an associate's in Liberal Arts and would like to get a bachelor's degree and learn Thai. I would like to live and work in Thailand upon completing my bachelor's but would want a degree that is desirable to a future employer in America. Any recommendations? Webster University looks good but I would prefer to live in Bangkok rather than Hua Hin.

I have an associate's in Liberal Arts and would like to get a bachelor's degree and learn Thai. I would like to live and work in Thailand upon completing my bachelor's but would want a degree that is desirable to a future employer in America. Any recommendations? Webster University looks good but I would prefer to live in Bangkok rather than Hua Hin.

Check and see if Webster has programs in Bangkok.

I think if you're at a (good) international university, you'll have to learn Thai outside of the program.

Hi all.

An Australian teacher at a language school I work at (no degree, no work permit) is considering doing a degree through Open Universities Australia rather than studying here, so he can eventually become legal. Would an on-line degree from Open Universities be recognised by the MOE? Also, would it be of dis-advantage to him having done his degree online? Also, the degree he wants to do, I think Arts majoring in something not related to teaching, can it be used if it is not Education related?

This guy is in his early 30's but has over 10 years teaching here (illegally!) but thats a lot of experience. I admire him for finally wanting to get his higher education, weather or not it is just for becoming legale here, so any advice about degrees, especially from Open Universities (Australia) would be apprieciated.

The degree is cheap doing it this way, he figured out it would cost about 20,000 AUD max and compaired to a Degree from Thailand, we both think this would be the best option, at least he could continue to live here and his degree would be from a Country with a better educational reputation.

And knowledge or thoughts about these Online Degrees............

my thought is you get what you pay for, as for being a native speaker, im sure he can get a job with a ton of experience, but im not to sure how the MOE handles things these days, so my bet's on him, besides how many online degree's are offered these days? A TON.